• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexual adoption - Abomination or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnmartin

I've never discussed this issue so thought I would see what the general views were.

I am talking about homosexual adoption , ie: Two men or Two women as a couple legally adopting a young child.

As a general feeling I believe this to be wrong and should be banned for the good of the child.

Perhaps under certain scenarios it might be possible to a lesbian couple to adopt as women have naturally maternal instincts but I don't think two men would be appropriate.

I am not homophobic by the way.

any views or questions - please go ahead.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not think that a person can argue that 2 men or 2 women cannot successfully raise a child without condemning single parenting.

nnmartin

Madhuri:

Well , single parenting may not be ideal but if it's the biological parent then it is just nature's work.

I think it is perfectly possible to separate the two issues here.

Having one mother or one father is probably easier for a child to understand than having the strange situation of two mothers or two fathers at the same time.

nnmartin

Storm :

This is not homophobia at all.

It seems positively absurd though that a hetero couple cannot adopt a child due to lack of sufficient income yet a gay couple can if they have enough money.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Storm :

This is not homophobia at all.

It seems positively absurd though that a hetero couple cannot adopt a child due to lack of sufficient income yet a gay couple can if they have enough money.
If you're not homophobic, what do the kids need to be protected from?

Trey of Diamonds

Having one mother or one father is probably easier for a child to understand than having the strange situation of two mothers or two fathers at the same time.

The situation is not strange to the child, it is societies reaction to them that causes problems. A child can and will thrive in any environment that is supportive. They can be raised by mom and dad, just mom, just dad, grandma and grandpa, aunt and uncle, dad and dad, mom and mom, foster mom and dad. It doesn't matter as long as the environment is loving and supportive. Take out the love and support and it doesn't matter what the family unit is composed of, the childs only option is to survive it long enough to get out of it.

nnmartin

It doesn't matter as long as the environment is loving and supportive. Take out the love and support and it doesn't matter what the family unit is composed of, the childs only option is to survive it long enough to get out of it.

How will the child cope at school - with other children teasing them etc..?

I think it would be fair to say also that a child brought up by gay parents would have a slightly warped view of social roles and have a tendency to emotional dysfunction as a young adult.

Last edited:

Trey of Diamonds

Same as any child does. If the home is supportive and loving then they will have an easier time dealing with adversity outside the home. If the home is filled with tension and neglect then any adversity outside the home is amplified. Adoption should be decided on the state of the home, not what might or might not exist outside the home. Those variables are not controlable.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So, let me get this straight - the people who DON'T want to arbitrarily pass laws discriminating against minorities are the fascists?

:biglaugh:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I think it would be fair to say also that a child brought up by gay parents would have a slightly warped view of social roles and have a tendency to emotional dysfunction as a young adult.

Disagree entirely. Can you provide proof that children brought up by same-sex parents have "warped views of social roles and a tendency to emotional dysfunction as young adults"? If you're going to accuse, you need proof.

As for the school situation, children will always find something to tease others about, and a well-adjusted, loved child would be able to handle the teasing just fine. In fact, they may even help break down stereotypes of same-sex parents.

nnmartin

Storm:

not fascists but liberofascists - there is a big difference.

Liberal fascists are those who maintain their high moral ground as absolute because they are tolerant of everything. (except anything of course that could be vaguely construed as old fashioned or republican in any way)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Storm:

not fascists but liberofascists - there is a big difference.

Liberal fascists are those who maintain their high moral ground as absolute because they are tolerant of everything.
Ah, so we should discriminate against minorities because you made up an oxymoron!

Fail.jpg

nnmartin

Disagree entirely. Can you provide proof that children brought up by same-sex parents have "warped views of social roles and a tendency to emotional dysfunction as young adults"? If you're going to accuse, you need proof.

I do not adhere to the ideology of needing evidence, sources or links.

I give opinion - if you want others' opinions then feel free to search the Web.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

IOW, you're full of ****, you know it, and you think we're a bunch of gullible twits who'll swallow anything you spew.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Ahh, I see. You know what they say about opinions, though. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.