• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexual versus atheist president

Which is most likely to be elected first?

• A Homosexual

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • An Atheist

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

Skwim

Veteran Member
In 1960 JFK was the first Catholic ever elected president

In 2008 Obama was the first black ever elected president

In 2016 Hilary Clinton could be the first female ever elected president

If so, this would be another milestone in overcoming prejudice in the USA. But two others still remain, homosexuality and atheism. So, do you see a time in the future where either or both of these may not be a factor in the election of a president? And which do you feel is the more likely to be elected first?

And why?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I don't know who has the edge. However, I really can't see somebody getting elected who has either of these attributes anytime in our lifetimes.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
a hundred times an Atheist as president.

reason: Paparazzi would slag off a gay president's sex life.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

If so, this would be another milestone in overcoming prejudice in the USA. But two others still remain, homosexuality and atheism. So, do you see a time in the future where either or both of these may not be a factor in the election of a president? And which do you feel is the more likely to be elected first?

And why?
I'd be very surprised if you haven't already had both.

A

angellous_evangellous

I don't think that a black President or otherwise is a sign that America is becoming less prejudiced. It actually made us more prejudiced as the bigots screamed louder than ever against Obama, and they are saying things about him that are racially charged that are quite vile and completely absent from discussion concerning white Presidents.

If Hillary campaigns, the sexist language will be quite acerbic, and when she's President it will be worse.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd prefer to think of the day when asking about characteristics like this will be deemed as irrelevant as it truly is.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I don't see anyone who's open about either getting elected any time soon. But, I bet it's already happened.

Alceste

Vagabond

And why?
If Clinton gets elected you might get all three. :p

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
a hundred times an Atheist as president.

reason: Paparazzi would slag off a gay president's sex life.
and the American people would waste time on laughing out loud about his promiscuous life, rather than worrying about real economic problems.

and the White House would become a Gay Bath House

So why are we assuming that a homosexual president would be promiscuous?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I would assume that both had already been elected. The odds are high that at least one president has been gay, or atheist - or both.

I believe we will see a gay president long before an openly atheistic one. I have been an atheist for many years and personally know homosexuals in my extended family(in laws).
Society in general has a much easier time accepting gays (barring marriage issues) than accepting atheism.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'd guess atheist.
It is easier for a politician to pretend to be religious when s/he's not than to pretend to be straight when s/he's not.
Tom

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I believe we will see a gay president long before an openly atheistic one. I have been an atheist for many years and personally know homosexuals in my extended family(in laws).
Society in general has a much easier time accepting gays (barring marriage issues) than accepting atheism.

Atheists will be a far higher proportion of the community over coming years, and so that bias will erode.

I don't think that a black President or otherwise is a sign that America is becoming less prejudiced. It actually made us more prejudiced as the bigots screamed louder than ever against Obama, and they are saying things about him that are racially charged that are quite vile and completely absent from discussion concerning white Presidents.

If Hillary campaigns, the sexist language will be quite acerbic, and when she's President it will be worse.

So sick of seeing this.
If anyone disagrees with any of this jokers policies or performance you point to his skin color as the reason for their dislike.
I don't care what color his skin is , you obviously do. So who's the real racist.
I've already told the story of my daughter being called a racist for liking McCain in a 7th grade class project.
Makes me sick, the damn hypocrisy.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'd guess atheist.
It is easier for a politician to pretend to be religious when s/he's not than to pretend to be straight when s/he's not.
Tom
The unstated assumption in my OP is that each are publicly known. No one is hiding their homosexuality or atheism.