• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexual versus atheist president

Which is most likely to be elected first?

• A Homosexual

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • An Atheist

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
In 1960 JFK was the first Catholic ever elected president

In 2008 Obama was the first black ever elected president

In 2016 Hilary Clinton could be the first female ever elected president

If so, this would be another milestone in overcoming prejudice in the USA. But two others still remain, homosexuality and atheism. So, do you see a time in the future where either or both of these may not be a factor in the election of a president? And which do you feel is the more likely to be elected first?

And why?

My guess is that we have already had an Atheist president but because of the stigma and political backlash we will never fully know. And most likely we will have atheist presidents in the future who are atheists but not open atheists. There is also evidence we have had our first gay president. We have had several congressmen (what is funny is many of them were anti-homosexuality) were gay. Abraham Lincoln may have been gay as it is an interesting historical debate.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think that a black President or otherwise is a sign that America is becoming less prejudiced. It actually made us more prejudiced as the bigots screamed louder than ever against Obama....
And don't forget the bigots who voted for Obama because of race, & falsely attacked
his detractors as racists. Mayhaps bigotry is in constant supply, & only shifts between
one flavor & another over time.
As for the poll, I voted for homo before heathen.

dust1n

Zindīq
Maybe, but he weren't out flying a rainbow flag. Don't think he qualifies as openly gay, even if he was potting William King.

Maybe, but he was more openly Deist. Certainly wasn't out saying there was no God.

Ooooh...have to admit, don't know too much about Polk. Was he whacky, or just random?

Expansionist who attacked Mexico to gain control of California, basically.

Hmmm...one...
Why'd ya plump for Monroe over Jefferson as a possible atheist?

Jefferson was a Jesus lover and too mouthy. I'd imagine an atheist at the time would most likely being as silent as possible about that subject. :D

Skwim

Veteran Member
James Buchanan, gay.

James Monroe, atheist.
Looked into both, and while there's some who affirm each, other sources aren't sure. :shrug: So, even if they were it doesn't appear it was well known among the electorate.

dust1n

Zindīq
Looked into both, and while there's some who affirm each, other sources aren't sure. :shrug: So, even if they were it doesn't appear it was well known among the electorate.

That's true.

Personally, I'm hoping the next president is a Puerto Rican/Iranian lesbian Sikh with nipple piercings, braces and walking crutches, who speaks Russian.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That's true.

Personally, I'm hoping the next president is a Puerto Rican/Iranian lesbian Sikh with nipple piercings, braces and walking crutches, who speaks Russian.

You're just assuming there hasn't already been such a President who just kept their individuality in the closet...
;)

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
To be honest, I very much doubt that ones sexual preference or atheism will be seen as in any way relevant or significant in years to come.

I'm in my 40's and like most men and women of my generation I identify as a specific sexual orientation, but I have noticed that for the younger crowd sexuality, gender and spritual orientation are all much more fluid. Young men and women experiment with same sex sexual behaviour without even linking that experimentation to their own orientation.

So in the future nobody will care whether the president is gay, straight or an atheist. Those are all cultural obsessions of OUR time, and our grandchildren will wonder why we even cared about such things.

Skwim

Veteran Member
To be honest, I very much doubt that ones sexual preference or atheism will be seen as in any way relevant or significant in years to come.

I'm in my 40's and like most men and women of my generation I identify as a specific sexual orientation, but I have noticed that for the younger crowd sexuality, gender and spritual orientation are all much more fluid. Young men and women experiment with same sex sexual behaviour without even linking that experimentation to their own orientation.

So in the future nobody will care whether the president is gay, straight or an atheist. Those are all cultural obsessions of OUR time, and our grandchildren will wonder why we even cared about such things.
Not if Christian teachings like
Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson says AIDS is God's 'penalty' for 'immoral' gay conduct in his latest homophobic rant
source

Continue

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Not if Christian teachings like
Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson says AIDS is God's 'penalty' for 'immoral' gay conduct in his latest homophobic rant
source

Continue

I believe that such people just become less relevant and influential.