• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality and Religion

Tau

I think it's something like this, FH: Most cultures/tribes/religions have a set of taboos, or ritual purity rules. These usually involve food and sex, and sometimes clothing, washing and so forth. Judaism, being essentially an ancient tribal religion, has a lot of these, many of them listed in Leviticus. Many Christian sects seem to have inherited this set of sexual purity taboos, while rejecting the food-based ones. I have no idea why; it seems quite arbitrary to me. These taboos are deeply and sub-consciously ingrained in our society, as any good taboo should be. I don't think most Christians are even aware that's what it is, rather conceptualizing it as a moral issue, which obviously it isn't. That is, it has nothing to do with honesty, compassion, or other fundamental moral or ethical questions. It's just a remnant of an ancient purity tradition. That's what people mean when they say things like homosexuality is a sin, or unnatural, or even immoral. It's kind of like having sex with your sister or cannibalism--on that level. So it doesn't help much to point out that there's nothing immoral about it; it's operating on a deeper, more subconscious level than that.

100% correct.

Discussion ended.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
oh, so you're what we would call a strict interpreter of things. If it doesn't expressly say it, then you can do it. If you were in my class I would have to specifically tell you not to hit someone in the face, because my rule of respect one another doesn't really tell you you can't do that. I see.
What about what it expressly says, then?

- "[W]hy should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?" (1 Cor 10:29)
- "Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters." (Rom 14:1)
- "[L]ove is the fulfillment of the law." (Rom 13:10)
- "Everything is permissible" (1 Cor 10:23)

wednesday

Jesus
Why argue over something so stupid? Feelings are feelings, they won't go away because an ancient book says it's a sin.
Homosexuals will feel what they feel because they can't change it, and rightly so. They're being themselves, not what "their god" wants them to be. Im not a homosexual nor a religious person, but i feel it is wrong to deny people to express their feelings just because your book doesn't agree with it.
The Catholic Churches plee to halt homosexual marriage will fall on deaf ears, the battle is lost.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Then I feel sorry for all of the religious people sinning against homosexuals by oppressing them.

What do you consider sinning against them? Besides the obvious of course, beating them up, making fun of them, etc.. I guess what I'm asking is saying they should not get married or have children sinning against them in your mind? I'm just wondering.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
What do you consider sinning against them? Besides the obvious of course, beating them up, making fun of them, etc.. I guess what I'm asking is saying they should not get married or have children sinning against them in your mind? I'm just wondering.

I don't really believe in sinning, considering I don't believe in Christianity. It was a response to someone else implying that homosexuals are sinning.

I would say that not letting them get married or have children would be sinning if I believed in such a thing. It is wrong to do, and only hurts lives, so I find it hypocritical when Christians don't consider it a sin against homosexuals.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I don't really find the concept of sin as useful moral idea. I do think advocating what you're describing is immoral.
Are you saying that I shouldn't have children? Why on earth?
But if you do find the idea of sin important, please try to remember that lesbianism isn't one, but remarriage after divorce is. And eating a BLT well may be.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It is really not that hard to understand. If someone said something against your marriage or against your ability to raise children you would consider it rude and offensive. If someone took actions that would interfere with your marriage or tried to prevent you from having children you would consider that an attack.

Am I wrong in saying this? Is there something else you don’t understand?

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
I wasn't debating anything. I was just wondering what you all considered to be sinful about some people's attitudes towards gays.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Like, I don't think my attitude toward gay marriage is sinful. I do consider gay bashing and such as sinful. I was just trying to route out some issues I was trying to understand.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Like, I don't think my attitude toward gay marriage is sinful. I do consider gay bashing and such as sinful. I was just trying to route out some issues I was trying to understand.
Did you get the answer to your question? Do you understand now?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Some people have a hard time doing unto others as they would be done to. It's a good exercise, though. How would you feel if I said that (due to your reliance on irrational superstitution) you should not be allowed to marry or have children?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I wasn't debating anything. I was just wondering what you all considered to be sinful about some people's attitudes towards gays.
From what I can gather from reading the Bible, any act that does not come out of love could be considered sinful.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Some people have a hard time doing unto others as they would be done to. It's a good exercise, though. How would you feel if I said that (due to your reliance on irrational superstitution) you should not be allowed to marry or have children?

Well, you would have to convince me that my "superstition" was irrational first.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Well, you would have to convince me that my "superstition" was irrational first.
No, I only need to convince those in power--the government. But that's not my question. The question is, how do you feel about other people preventing or trying to prevent you from marrying and having children? How does that idea make you feel? Do you feel loved? Respected? A part of the human community?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
your "superstition" says its bad.. Mine says it ok, even good for the balance of things.

Its nice that there is freedom of religion in this nation. Your religion doesn't have to engage in gay unions while mine will be free to do so.

We can both be happy.

wa:do