• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality - Choice or Not?

Homosexuality - Choice or not?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
you're an athiest. i'm not going to debale religious things with you. there is no point.

you still havent proven to me that homosexuality isn't a choice

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
you're an athiest. i'm not going to debale religious things with you. there is no point.

Unless you're trying to equivocate atheism with irrationality (or, I suppose, conceding the irrationality of your own religion), I'm not sure I see why you'd say that.

you still havent proven to me that homosexuality isn't a choice

Please re-read what I wrote:
Your first bit of evidence that attraction is not chosen is right here in this thread. You have statements from several people saying that they do not have the power to choose who they are attracted to. At the very least, this indicates that your claim, though it may be true for you, is not universally true.

They say that the claim "all crows are black" can be disproven by one white crow. In this case, you have a number of people who have said to you the equivalent of "I've seen a white crow". Prove them liars or prove that they're honestly mistaken.

Aqualung

Tasty
yes, it is a choice.

you can either accept it or be in denial about it cause you don't want to loose your precious crutch.

my own personal life has alot to do with religion and this is not the thread to be posting it in.

How come you haven't proven she's chosen it, yet you ask others to prove that they haven't chosen it? You haven't even proven that you chose your OWN attractions! How can you possibly, in light of that glaring oversight, then go on to prove OTHER'S attractions?

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
this hatchet reasoning disgusts me.

i am gay and part of the LGBT community in two cities in the UK, i know that a lot of young people went through a lot of emotional and physical hurt before they came to terms with their homosexuality.

allow me to explain - a lot of young LGBT people spend a lot of time trying to stop/change their attraction. they beat themselves up over it and many suffer verbal and physical abuse because of it. there is a hell of a lot of an incentive to change your sexuality to the 'norm' under those pressures, but you just can't do it. why is that? - that is a rhetorical question, i don't expect you to answer it, only consider it.
I can't possibly understand the pressures that people go through in society on this issue, but to be fair, that is not a proof that someone is born with that way.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
I can't possibly understand the pressures that people go through in society on this issue, but to be fair, that is not a proof that someone is born with that way.

all i am saying is that i, and many many others, seriously and actively wanted to change our attractions when we thought we might be gay, and couldn't. sexuality can be changed? so how come i couldn't change mine when i was seriously bullied and rejected by my family, the time when one would most want to change it?

to me the answer is blatant and simple, it can't be done.

Jeremiah

you're still choosing to be attracted to members of the same sex. it's no different.

Madhater,

You are clinging to the idea that we all have urges of a sexual nature. That we all choose what sex to be attracted to. That if we choose the same sex it is the wrong choice.

This suggests to me that you have sexual urges for both sexes and thus viewing it as having a choice to pursue one or the other. That homosexuality is a choice because the individual choose on what attraction to act.

People who have sexual attractions for both sexes are considered bisexual. With social pressures I can understand how a bisexual could get confused on this subject. But most people consider sexual propensity self-evident because they themselves are not able to change their sexual orientation to either man or woman. Unlike bisexuals their sexual preference is limited to only one of the sexes.

I find this type of self-denial normal in regards to people who are deeply confused about their sexuality. They sometimes lash out in anger at the unfairness. They conform to social and religious norms while others enjoy their sexual freedom(as such as it is). It's not fair. Why should they have to be the responsible ones while others engage in the unethical?

It takes a courageous person to go against society, to step out of normal bounds. But it is the responsible thing to do, not the other way around.

cardero

Citizen Mod
all i am saying is that i, and many many others, seriously and actively wanted to change our attractions when we thought we might be gay, and couldn't. sexuality can be changed? so how come i couldn't change mine when i was seriously bullied and rejected by my family, the time when one would most want to change it?

to me the answer is blatant and simple, it can't be done.
The choice, whether difficult or easy, is the choice of the individual (I don't believe the choice of heterosexuality or homosexulity should be difficult). Rarely should one make a choice based on what other people think. Even when one feels pressured from others with change, the choice and the consequences of that choice should remain with the individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.