• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality Research: Can or Can't Change

tomato1236

Ninja Master
Hi.

I've been doing some research, and I would like some help from others who may have already found better sources than I have. I'm looking for specific examples of individuals who have, to one degree or another, become legitimately heterosexual after identifying themselves as homosexual. I am also interested in studies that conclusively illustrate that homosexuality is inborn, or that those attracted to the same sex cannot change.

I thought it would be terrific if those who contribute could post studies/examples illustrating results opposite their viewpoint (ie. those who feel homosexuality is created by environmental factors, or choice posting studies that indicate it is genetic or unchangeable, and those who feel it is inborn post studies indicating that some have had success changing their orientation, or that it is environmental/choice.), though I understand if you can't handle doing so. Either way, I would like some evidence on both sides, if it is available.

Thanks,

Tomato

tomato1236

Ninja Master
I see that several people have looked at this and passed it by. Too dangerous? Don't want to be the first? Ok. I'll help.

It may have to do with the way you phrased your question. Most people who claim to have been "cured" of homosexuality are proselytizers, not subjects of intense scientific study. ;)

Do you just want studies dealing with the causes sexual orientation?

tomato1236

Ninja Master
It may have to do with the way you phrased your question. Most people who claim to have been "cured" of homosexuality are proselytizers, not subjects of intense scientific study. ;)

Do you just want studies dealing with the causes sexual orientation?

Basically. Born that way vs ernvironment. The only reason I'm interested in individual cases is because if one person can truly change, that indicates it is possible. I am not, however interested in biased or false claims from religious orgs, etc.

I just hear all the time that "Science" agrees that gay people are born that way and cannot change, but I only hear this from gay people, and when I google it, there are lots of claims that it's environmental or otherwise. I'm not going to turn around and be like, "You're wrong, because..." I seriously want to see if there are two sides to this coin, or if science is, in fact, agreed and there has been a final conclusion reached on the matter.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I see that several people have looked at this and passed it by. Too dangerous? Don't want to be the first? Ok. I'll help.
Well, I looked, and then passed because your needs aren't near the top of my priorities, which is probably true of some of the others. However, it might be interesting to see what pops up.

tomato1236

Ninja Master
Well, I looked, and then passed because your needs aren't near the top of my priorities, which is probably true of some of the others. However, it might be interesting to see what pops up.

Ok, fair enough.

I was hoping for a greater response as well. Sure people have strong opinions about the issue, but I think it would be very illustrative and illuminating if we could see what sort of varied findings there have been. You know, to let the studies speak, rather than speaking for the studies. I began to look into this briefly last night, but only found biased studies, etc.

waitasec

Veteran Member
just a thought, and contrary to your request, i have no "studies/examples" but is it possible those people that "changed" their orientation are bi-sexual?

tomato1236

Ninja Master
just a thought, and contrary to your request, i have no "studies/examples" but is it possible those people that "changed" their orientation are bi-sexual?

I guess so, but the accounts I read were of folks who had identified themselves as solely homosexual prior to beginning their efforts to change. Unfortunately these accounts came from groups whose work it was to facilitate these changes, so naturally they would claim it was frequently successful.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The most simple answer you will find: there are none. Also, the APA has many articles that indicate nature and nurture play a part in sexuality. If you are lucky and you look hard enough you might be able to find some science journal entries for free, but that can be a difficult task.

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Hi.

I've been doing some research, and I would like some help from others who may have already found better sources than I have.

Have you done any research into the question of whether or not heterosexuality can be changed? I think that would be an interesting question. If the one can be changed then why not the other?

Have you done any research into the question of whether or not heterosexuality can be changed? I think that would be an interesting question. If the one can be changed then why not the other?

That's a good point.

Just_me_Mike

More than likely on this website, you will find many gays and lesbians, that have tried to not be gay or lesbian at some time in their life. This usually arising from some sort of external or internal pressure.
Usually resulting in deep depression, and eventual accepting they can't change who they are.

On a separate topic you might look into neuroplasticity. It is devoted to studying the question can the brain be remapped by sheer will among other factors.

tomato1236

Ninja Master
fantôme profane;2193551 said:

First of all, I doubt there is much work available on this topic for study, and second of all, I'm heterosexual, and I don't feel it's impossible for me to be gay. If I wanted to, I believe I could have sexual experiences with men, and if I did so regularly, or fantasized regularly about it, it might become my preference. So the claim is different. I know there is initial disgust among heterosexual guys at the thought of being gay (I still don't like the idea of it) but based on experiences I've had, I think I could get past that if it was somehow emotionally satisfying to me.

tomato1236

Ninja Master
More than likely on this website, you will find many gays and lesbians, that have tried to not be gay or lesbian at some time in their life. This usually arising from some sort of external or internal pressure.
Usually resulting in deep depression, and eventual accepting they can't change who they are.

I'm interested in hearing those stories.