• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How bad is hatred of Jews in France?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe ethnicity can play a role in the perpetration of crime, don't you? @Debater Slayer

I believe that people's personal dispositions, circumstances, worldviews, medical history, and family history, among many other things, can all play a role in perpetration of crime, and those factors can (but certainly are not guaranteed to) vary by ethnicity.

I would, however, note the difference between "[insert factor here] can play a role" and an assumption that said factor did play a role in a given crime. Premature conclusions seem to me a way of pouring fuel on the fire and sometimes enabling stereotypes without having much information about a crime.

The first thing that came to mind when I read the news in the linked article in the OP was how alarmingly dangerous antisemitism and other forms of hatred targeting certain religious or ethnic groups are, especially given that, as the article I linked in post #9 points out, such hatred has been increasing in various countries in recent months. The ethnicity of the perpetrators seems to me a far less significant detail than these other issues.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
In France there is the expression Français de souche.
I don't think these boys are Français de souche.

So you have already decided to assert an ethnically charged belief—while not mentioning any other issues like the increase in antisemitic and anti-Muslim hate crimes in recent months—even though no confirmed information has been published about the ethnicity of the perpetrators. Even if the perpetrators turn out not to be "Français de souche," as you put it, it seems to me that there are issues of far more concern and relevance than the ethnicity (or supposed ethnicity) of the perpetrators—such as the increase in hate crimes.

I don't see anything remotely helpful that could be drawn from what you've said above.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I believe that people's circumstances, worldviews, medical history, and family history can all play a role in perpetration of crime, and those factors can (but certainly are not guaranteed to) vary by ethnicity.

I would, however, note the difference between "[insert factor here] can play a role" and an assumption that said factor did play a role in a given crime. Premature conclusions seem to me a way of pouring fuel on the fire and sometimes enabling stereotypes without having much information about a crime.

The first thing that came to mind when I read the news in the linked article in the OP was how alarmingly dangerous antisemitism and other forms of hatred targeting certain religious or ethnic groups are, especially given that, as the article I linked in post #9 points out, such hatred has been increasing in various countries in recent months. The ethnicity of the perpetrators seems to me a far less significant detail than these other issues.
That's fine, but I find it interesting information all the same. As I would find their worldview, circumstances, medical and family history, etc. all interesting.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Where I roam about USA, hatred of Muslims & Arabs
is rampant. Hatred of Jews is something I just don't
run across IRL.

I definitely believe you regarding hatred of Muslims and Arabs. When it comes to hatred of Jews/antisemitism, though, I believe that it may well manifest in ways that non-Jews (like you and me) wouldn't readily notice, if at all. From what I've read, antisemitism, along with anti-Muslim hatred, has increased in the US in recent months:

Anti-Muslim incidents jump in US amid Israel-Gaza war

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I definitely believe you regarding hatred of Muslims and Arabs. When it comes to hatred of Jews/antisemitism, though, I believe that it may well manifest in ways that non-Jews (like you and me) wouldn't readily notice, if at all. From what I've read, antisemitism, along with anti-Muslim hatred, has increased in the US in recent months:

Anti-Muslim incidents jump in US amid Israel-Gaza war
I'm going by what people bring up in discussion.
I speculate that support for Israel has divided &
polarized attitudes towards Jews & Muslims/Arabs.

Kathryn

Because I am a naturally curious person who wants to know as much as possible about the perpetrators, including but not limited to their ethnicity - I think it would be helpful to know as much as possible, don't you? Also their family, their background, how they were raised, their health, etc. But I doubt we find out much because if they are under age, that information probably will not be released. @Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think it would be helpful to know as much as possible, don't you?
Associated Press standards state such details should only be mentioned if it's relevant (unless it's a minor amd then it's less than a few things that can be revealed). Given the attacker could have been anyone I don't see any real reason to publish especially in light of increasing Islamaphobia.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The ethnicity of the perpetrators seems to me a far less significant detail than these other issues.
Yup. The attacker could have been English or Arabic. Anti-Semitism is increasing along with Islamaphobia (a side note, I wonder if other languages use two separate words like that?), it's common enough it really doesn't matter for this news story if it was a skinhead or Muslim. There is a victim who has suffered horribly and suffered the same regardless. I hope she has the support she needs so she has a chance to heal.

Kathryn

Associated Press standards state such details should only be mentioned if it's relevant (unless it's a minor amd then it's less than a few things that can be revealed). Given the attacker could have been anyone I don't see any real reason to publish especially in light of increasing Islamaphobia.
I just want to know as much about the potential perps as possible.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's not absolutely true. When it deals with a Français de souche, the French media reveal name, surname, nationality and also X-scan.
Even if it's a minor.
There is something called Streisand effect. The more you cover up something, the more that something will become a big hit.

Heyo

Veteran Member
How bad has Jew hatred gotten in France? A twelve year old Jewish girl was victimized because she was Jewish.

FTA: Later, lawyer and Jewish leader Elie Korchia said in an interview with French broadcaster BFM that the girl is Jewish and that Palestine was mentioned during the attack. French Prime Minister Gabriel Attal wrote on X, formerly Twitter, that the girl was “raped because she’s Jewish”, identifying it as an antisemitic attack.

2 French boys are accused of raping a 12-year-old Jewish girl in an act of antisemitism
I don't know much about the situation in France, but I know that it has become worse in most of Europe. One factor is the current Palestine conflict, but we also have a trend of increasing activity from the far right, the recent election for the European Parliament has shown that. And here, the far right is always xenophobic and usually anti-Semitic.
Note that I'm not saying that this incident is linked to the far right, but the tendency is there. Other attacks clearly had a far right political motivation.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't know much about the situation in France, but I know that it has become worse in most of Europe.
Not in all of Europe. Statistics show that the safest countries for Jews in Europe are Hungary and Italy.
One factor is the current Palestine conflict, but we also have a trend of increasing activity from the far right, the recent election for the European Parliament has shown that. And here, the far right is always xenophobic and usually anti-Semitic.
But accidentally...it's the so called far-right parties that support Israel.
So this claim is unsubstantiated.