• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can we know "God" exists?

Visionary28

Seeker of Serpent's Fruit
So god is not an objective truth the way, say, Germany is.

Got it.
Yes, you will never know the "God" of another. Those that identify with the same religious path will still each have to find their own personal God. This "God" will likely be a reflection of one's own conscious and subconcious beliefs, desires, and fears. The form in which it is manifested is up to the desire and will of each individual.

Almustafa

we dont know if what exists is God, however we know that something exists we call God...

through spiritual practice we can see through some sort of spiritual perception what the peoples of earth call God...
prophets make up theories on what it is; like Buddha compared to Mosas.

Titanic

I do not think the human race can know if there is any god's or not. No amout of debating will ever solve it. I can honestly say that I do not know if I believe or not. Thus me being a Agnostic. Scientologist part is a "do I feel like this will better my life in the here and now" to a certain point yes. But mainly it's just there for show. I am speaking of what my religion say's.

PastorClark

Agnostic Christain
God is unknowable, unseeable by the human eyes. Now, how I see God is that, God is the universe, the universe is God, the universe is inside us, God is all around us.

Now I understand most would disagree, But I would say ask yourself this one question. What is the reason for our existences, and why must we keep living or what is the reason for living.

Last edited:

Tiberius

Yes, you will never know the "God" of another. Those that identify with the same religious path will still each have to find their own personal God. This "God" will likely be a reflection of one's own conscious and subconcious beliefs, desires, and fears. The form in which it is manifested is up to the desire and will of each individual.

In other words, God is imaginary.

Almustafa

In other words, God is imaginary.

the opposite, we are all imaginary... only the absolute reality exists...

however when we presume that this "me" exist, it naturally creates another to contrast to, so that other; Nature/God/Luck/Karma

as long a you exists, God will exist... when there is no more you, there will be no God...

after you see this, ya come back to tell everyone... but ya just run backward toward duality.
so these "enlightened" people who see the Absolute ultimate reality of all, either say; 1) all is God/Nature(objective) or 2)all is the self(subjective)

in truth both the individual and God are fake, but that also means God is just as real as you...

Tiberius

the opposite, we are all imaginary... only the absolute reality exists...

This makes no sense to me.

If there is an absolute reality, either you exist or you do not.

And anyway, there's a lot more evidence for your existence than there is for God's. I put my money on the evidence.

however when we presume that this "me" exist, it naturally creates another to contrast to, so that other; Nature/God/Luck/Karma

Again with the making of no sense.

as long a you exists, God will exist... when there is no more you, there will be no God...

So I created God, did I?

after you see this, ya come back to tell everyone... but ya just run backward toward duality.

:shrug:

I can't make anything of this...

so these "enlightened" people who see the Absolute ultimate reality of all, either say; 1) all is God/Nature(objective) or 2)all is the self(subjective)

What? My position is that since there is no evidence for God in the real world, then it is likely that those who experience God are experiencing something created by their minds. The fact that so many different people have wildly differing views about God tends to reinforce this idea.

in truth both the individual and God are fake, but that also means God is just as real as you...

So now there is also no me? No you? Then who's writing this post?

I'm sorry, but this just sounds like metaphysical buzzwords strung together.

Last edited:

Almustafa

everything is nature or reality, energy, whatever ya want to call the nameless truth...
our mind creates divisions by perceiving the many qualities of nature

when we create an identity for our self separate from our environment, our environment is then perceived as a God like being that sends stuff your way

this is an illusion, enlightenment or yoga(union with God) is the realization that their is no "you" & there is no "other" such as God, all there is is the supreme reality which is both God & you... all of nature everywhere

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
everything is nature or reality, energy, whatever ya want to call the nameless truth...

when we create an identity for our self separate from our environment, our environment is then perceived as a God like being that sends stuff your way

this is an illusion, enlightenment or yoga(union with God) is the realization that their is no "you" & there is no "other" such as God, all there is is the supreme reality which is both God & you... all of nature everywhere

Well expressed, thank you...:namaste

Tiberius

More buzzwords.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Well my personal reason is a few mystical experiences and the fact that I inherently know there is a god because of this.
Not highly reliable information or credible but it is enough for me. This is the primary reason I do not debate such things

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram :namaste
everything is nature or reality, energy, whatever ya want to call the nameless truth..

the nameless truth has many names due to our imperfect perception , we are naming him byawarding many titles dependant upon our realisation of his nature . as his nature is unlimited his names are unlimited , but above these given names he has subtle names which are vibrations of his nature .
this is due to our inability to realise the entirity of his nature .

when we create an identity for our self separate from our environment, our environment is then perceived as a God like being that sends stuff your way this is an illusion,
even our enviroment , our universe , and the universes beyond are a mere fraction of the energy of the supreme , so to see this energy alone as god is equal to illusion or delusion , if we convince ourselves that god is energy alone then we are in a deluded state of mind .

enlightenment or yoga(union with God) is the realization that their is no "you" & there is no "other" such as God, all there is is the supreme reality which is both God & you... all of nature everywhere
enlightenment is the realisation of our true nature in relation to god , and yoga the process of linking the mind with god , I may link hands with you but by doing so I do not become you , we may be of the same mind in that we realise the same truth but we are not one , as we posess different energies .

true our solidity , perminance and inependance are an illusion , there is not seperate self in the way we perceive it , that is an illusion . .....but the supreme being or ultimate reality that we are calling god is the unchanging , the supreme is that which lays behind the energy that is our creation , (and the creation of our universe ), the supreme is the creator of the energy of which we are a creation .

but eventualy all energies dissipate and return to their source as all waters eventualy return to the sea , but a water droplet falling on ground is neither the sea or an illusion , but a part of an extremely complex process .

Almustafa

the body & mind are just more qualities of nature... the realization of enlightenment & the Self/God is that you, the real you is beyond all that, it can never be described accurately...
the self/the mind/Consciousness/God or whatever is the pure Substance, above any variation it is all things...

because our brain cannot feel past its nervous system we think the self stops there...
the self is everywhere, & is the self of every intellect... never stopping, & infinite

but we need to live in the world, so to gather supplies for the human condition...
so whe we speak we speak as the intellect which is but an aspect of my whole self, but when the daily chores are done & we are still, a mind at rest percieves only the infinite self...

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This makes no sense to me.
It does to me. He expresses this quite well in fact. Don't assume because it doesn't click for you within the scope of your personal experience it's nothing but "buzz words". What he is saying is quite insightful, not buzz words.

If there is an absolute reality, either you exist or you do not.
Not if that absolute reality is nondual. You perceive yourself in a dualistic reality. A dualistic reality is only a half of nonduality. And the cool thing is, nonduality is THIS reality. You just don't see it, yet. And that's the living in an illusion that all the mystics speak about.

And anyway, there's a lot more evidence for your existence than there is for God's. I put my money on the evidence.
Everything is evidence. Evidence for me, is evidence for God.

But the salient point is evidence is not knowing. If you truly know yourself, you know God. And I don't mean those mental constructs you call the ego-self "me", is knowing yourself. I mean knowing yourself behind and beyond all those masks, those faces we put on.

Who are you? Look at that long and hard, and when you say "that's me", then ask if that's you, then who is looking at you and saying it's you? And keep going, and going, until you are left with who you really are. Then come back here and let's talk about evidence.

Again with the making of no sense.
To you, of course. Admitting you don't get it, is the beginning.

So I created God, did I?
In a sense, yes. In a sense, no. God is the face we put upon the Infinite unknown. At a certain point, we see that Face is our own, and that our face we thought was us, is That which has always been our original self - from before the Big Bang.

Good luck trying to reason that.

I can't make anything of this...
Exactly. This is good! Or as Yoda would say it, "Good, this is."

What? My position is that since there is no evidence for God in the real world, then it is likely that those who experience God are experiencing something created by their minds. The fact that so many different people have wildly differing views about God tends to reinforce this idea.
You do realize that every single experience in your life is created by your brain? And that every single person likewise in the most mundane of this so-called 'reality' you speak of, likewise have "wildly differing views" about what they see and experience?

Truth is, you are interpreting the world through your particular set of eyes, just as those who experience God are. Yet there is just as much agreement as to the experience of God between those who have that, as those in your "real world", from the simplest of experiences. There's never 100% agreement in anything! Don't single out religious experience here.

So now there is also no me? No you? Then who's writing this post?
I'll answer you this, if you first answer me who are you? Your body? Your hair? Your name? Your experiences? Who exactly is "me"? Please start with that super-easy question, and see just how super-easy it isn't. :)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
the body & mind are just more qualities of nature... the realization of enlightenment & the Self/God is that you, the real you is beyond all that, it can never be described accurately...
the self/the mind/Consciousness/God or whatever is the pure Substance, above any variation it is all things...

because our brain cannot feel past its nervous system we think the self stops there...
the self is everywhere, & is the self of every intellect... never stopping, & infinite

but we need to live in the world, so to gather supplies for the human condition...
so whe we speak we speak as the intellect which is but an aspect of my whole self, but when the daily chores are done & we are still, a mind at rest percieves only the infinite self...
If there is a real you beyond anything, then there is still duality.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I may fall on an esoteric fallacy but the inert desire to give worship, ponder or believe in god is proof of his existence to me.
But it can go ignored like anything else

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
If there is a real you beyond anything, then there is still duality.
Not really, duality only arises when the conceptual mind interprets reality. Iow, when the mortal mind is still and has ceased all thoughts, duality can't arise. That non-dual state of mind is the real 'you'. For the sake of expedience, the mystic may use conceptual language to explain to the novice that the real you is beyond conception.

Of course there is the irony that the mystic must use concepts to explain that the use of concepts obscures the reality for which those concepts represent, but the astute student understands and accepts this.