• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can YHWH be the FATHER?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yes, Yhwh is referred to many times in the NT, as the evil one. Even the Lord's prayer hints of Yhwh.
As "the evil one"? No, the NT never promotes the idea that the God of the Jews is evil.

Yes, in the Lord's prayer, Jesus addresses it to the God of Israel. Even though he doesn't mention YHWH by name, that is who "our father" is. There is nothing in that prayer that states or even implies that "our father" is evil.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You can't quote something by adding to it right in the middle - it is deceptive.
No, it's not. The whole point of the parentheses or brackets is to communicate that you are momentarily breaking from the quote to make a comment.

In the case we are discussing, he is not even inserting a comment. He is inserting a translation. That means that he is NOT adding to the quote, he is simply quoting the identical quote in a different language.

You are way out of line with your objection. If you want to debate him about his ideas, that is fine. But it looks very bad for you to be picking apart his use of punctuation, especially when he is punctuating correctly. If after everything I have pointed out, you want to continue mocking, that's on you. Just be aware of how it looks to others.

The Bible does not support YHWH as the FATHER. It does however support him as the Adversary.
In the Old Testament YHWH is "Father" in the sense of the Creator.
He lied to Adam and Eve.

Adam and Eve could hear YHWH moving about so they hid.
His question to Adam "Where are you?" was for Adam to realize his new degraded state - hiding from fellowship with God.
His question was not because He did not know where Adam was.
YHWH could not find Adam and Eve?
The question was designed for Adam and Eve to contemplate the tragic change that was taking place in them - hiding in fear from their Creator.
Adam and Eve come out from hiding to greet YHWH. It doesn't specifically say, but one can gather that it was face to face. Jesus says more than once that no man has seen the FATHER.
As Jesus is God as a man manifested so also God appeared as a man to Adam and Eve.
For ultimately the eternal purpose of God is to be manifested in humanity anyway.
Jacob seen YHWH face to face, even wrestled him. Again, Jesus says more than once no man has seen the FATHER.
If you wish to be thorough you have to admit that Jesus also said that to see Him was to see the Father.
As He assured Phillip that to see Him was to see the Father.

Philip said to Him, Lord, show us the Father and it is sufficient for us.
Jesus said to him, Have I been so long a time with you, and you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how is it that you say, Show us the Father? (John 14:8,9)

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Genesis 2:17

They did not die, they went on to live for hundred of years. YHWH also tempted them by planting it there in the first place. At the time, Adam and Eve had the mentality of a toddler. They didn't even know they were naked.
The process of death began to operate from the center of their being gradually working its dearful final result outward.
Since then everyone born begins immediately to die in like manner. Emptiness, vanity, darkness of conscience, aging, and eventual
decreptitude of the body all were "calling cards" informing Adam he was DYING.

I would not take Gen. 2:17b - " . . . for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die." to insist within that 24 hour period.
The dreadful process started then. God did inform Adam he would eat bread in sweat for some period.

Cursed is the ground because of you; / In toil will you eat of it / All the days of your life. (Gen. 3:17b)

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
You are way out of line with your objection. If you want to debate him about his ideas, that is fine. But it looks very bad for you to be picking apart his use of punctuation, especially when he is punctuating correctly. If after everything I have pointed out, you want to continue mocking, that's on you. Just be aware of how it looks to others.
So sorry I do not meet your standards of rectitude. BTW any added text while quoting should be in brackets not parenthesis: Extended Rules for Using Quotation Marks - Purdue OWL® - Purdue University

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
His question to Adam "Where are you?" was for Adam to realize his new degraded state - hiding from fellowship with God.
His question was not because He did not know where Adam was.

I agree. Sometimes a person asks a question not because they seek knowledge but in order to provoke a reaction in the other person.

I would not take Gen. 2:17b - " . . . for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die." to insist within that 24 hour period.
The dreadful process started then. God did inform Adam he would eat bread in sweat for some period.

This is refreshing to read. Many individuals interpret scripture in an extremely literalist manner to the point that they cannot reconcile two different verses within the same text. Some might read scripture that way to be on the safe side or something, but they end up not being able to reconcile statements such as 'you shall surely die' and 'by the sweat of your brow, you will eat your bread.' Moreover, they end up ignoring the implications of what they read.

By the way, welcome to RF!

teage

The process of death began to operate from the center of their being gradually working its dearful final result outward.
Since then everyone born begins immediately to die in like manner. Emptiness, vanity, darkness of conscience, aging, and eventual
decreptitude of the body all were "calling cards" informing Adam he was DYING.

Cursed is the ground because of you; / In toil will you eat of it / All the days of your life. (Gen. 3:17b)
That would mean that YHWH murdered them, slowly, for over 900 or so yrs. Kind of cruel really. I guess us modern ppl are lucky, we get a quicker sentence.

Sumadji

Yes, Yhwh is referred to many times in the NT, as the evil one. Even the Lord's prayer hints of Yhwh.
@teage
Are you Gnostic?

As "the evil one"? No, the NT never promotes the idea that the God of the Jews is evil.
Some Gnostic Christians considered the Hebrew God of the Old Testament as the evil, false god and creator of the material universe. They believe the Father of Jesus Christ, the Unknown God of the Gospel and creator of the spiritual world, is the true, good God.
Yaldabaoth

@IndigoChild5559
Have you read The Gospel of Judas?

Last edited:

teage

Yes, in the Lord's prayer, Jesus addresses it to the God of Israel. Even though he doesn't mention YHWH by name, that is who "our father" is. There is nothing in that prayer that states or even implies that "our father" is evil.
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? 10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Matthew 7:9-11

Jesus is talking about Exodus.

teage

@teage
Are you Gnostic?

Some Gnostic Christians, such as Marcionites, considered the Hebrew God of the Old Testament as the evil, false god and creator of the material universe, and the Unknown God of the Gospel, the father of Jesus Christ and creator of the spiritual world, as the true, good God.
Yaldabaoth

@IndigoChild5559
Have you read The Gospel of Judas?
If I'm to be extremely honest, I don't know yet. I prayed for guidance and better understanding while going through some very difficult times and now everything looks different. Thats all I know. I used to have main stream views. It feels like searching all over again from scratch.