• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can you be a True Christian™ if you don't take the Eden story literally?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And you would uncritically accept his condemnation without hearing his side of the story?
We have heard his side if the story. I doubt if you could support him. The condemnation is well earned. Look at the picture of a ship's brass valve wheel again. It is solid metal. If it was gold leaf the wood on the bottom would be exposed. Gold leaf does not react very much chemically. But it is rather fragile. Chariot wheels running in rough gravel would quickly remove it.

ppp

If something is an event it may be metaphorical, if it is a statement/command from God or Jesus it is not metaphorical.

Jesus saying the only path to Heaven is through him is not metaphorical.

A whale swallowing Jonas could be.

And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

This is an event in the story in which there was a command from God. Which of these is literal, and how do you know?
  • the man,
  • the garden,
  • the tree,
  • the fruit,
  • the knowledge of good and evil
  • the certain death
  • God

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don’t agree. If God is infallible, then so will His Word be infallible. If the scriptures are inspired by God (2 Timothy 3:16), then to consider them to be doctrinally error free cannot be idolatry in my view.
This is a circular argument. You are using s statement in the bible as evidence the bible is error-free. But if the bible is not error-free then the statement you are relying on might not be reliable.

There is huge difference, too, between the bible being divinely inspired and it being free from all error. The writers can easily have been divinely inspired but still express themselves in imperfect ways. Humanity is, as we know, imperfect, after all. Furthermore, it is obvious to anyone reading the bible that it contains both contradictions and a range of figurative expression that is capable of more than one interpretation.

ppp

Because of justice. It's pretty easy to sway the court of popular opinion when the MSM has an interest.
Seems that you have already bought into your own assumptions about how and where and when I got my knowledge of Wyatt's claims.

Tinkerpeach

This is an event in the story in which there was a command from God. Which of these is literal, and how do you know?
  • the man,
  • the garden,
  • the tree,
  • the fruit,
  • the knowledge of good and evil
  • the certain death
  • God
The literal items on your list are

1. The man

2. The knowledge of good and evil

3. God