• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can you be a True Christian™ if you don't take the Eden story literally?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The God of the Bible only has one version.

You can pick out certain aspects to focus on but that doesn’t change the other parts of Him
I disagree. There are thousands of different versions of the God of the Bible. That is shown by the thousands of sects of Christianity. Now with that many sects the differences between any two may be small, it is best to look at the extremes and see how they blend into the other sects.

At any rate I do wish you were a bit clearer in your beliefs.

Audie

Veteran Member
I disagree. There are thousands of different versions of the God of the Bible. That is shown by the thousands of sects of Christianity. Now with that many sects the differences between any two may be small, it is best to look at the extremes and see how they blend into the other sects.

Like the version who slaughterd millions in a flood etc.,
( the psycho monster version) or the one who just
told the story as a cautionary story and. "Is " literally "love"?

We may need to get out a dictionary and see what the
word "version" means.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Like the version who slaughterd millions in a flood etc.,
( the psycho monster version) or the one who just
told the story as a cautionary story and. "Is " literally "love"?

We may need to get out a dictionary and see what the
word "version" means.
I still have no understanding of why so many Christians seem to believe that God had to do those psychotic acts or he is not real. it simply makes no logical sense at all. Worse yet the explanations that come when what would be God's own work show that those beliefs are false.

Tinkerpeach

Are you under the impression that the only people capable of doing that are people who "like" god? Why?
In my experience, it's usually the other way around.
Not at all, plenty of non believers can intellectually discuss the existence of God just like I can discuss the possibility He doesn’t exist.

Tinkerpeach

I believe in salvation through Christ, the rest is up for debate.

Hope that clears it up

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe in salvation through Christ, the rest is up for debate.

Hope that clears it up
Okay, that is clearer. Then to me is appears that you do not seem to think that one has to take the Garden of Eden story literally to be a Christian. I would agree. I know many Christians that do not read Genesis literally at all and yet are still definitely Christian. When I was still a Christian I could see that they worked as morality tales and that there was no need for them to be literally true to be a Christian.

Tinkerpeach

Okay, that is clearer. Then to me is appears that you do not seem to think that one has to take the Garden of Eden story literally to be a Christian. I would agree. I know many Christians that do not read Genesis literally at all and yet are still definitely Christian. When I was still a Christian I could see that they worked as morality tales and that there was no need for them to be literally true to be a Christian.
I actually don’t even bother reading Genesis or Revelations anymore so I suppose you are correct.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Misrepresented. There are many ways to express what is written to give understanding... There is only one body - different parts of that one body.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Misrepresented. There are many ways to express what is written to give understanding... There is only one body - different parts of that one body.
Oh no, I am going to have to disagree with and point to the title of the thread as evidence. The reason for the "true Christian™" joke is because Christians themselves are quite often the first persons that will claim that another is not a real Christian.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Oh no, I am going to have to disagree with and point to the title of the thread as evidence. The reason for the "true Christian™" joke is because Christians themselves are quite often the first persons that will claim that another is not a real Christian.
True... true... Sometimes the toe doesn't understand the eye... but your previous statement was still wrong. :) your statement here was good.

Muffled

Jesus in me
What? Your post does not appear to make any sense. Are you saying that Obama had to do damage control over the mess that he inherited from Bush just as Biden had to do damage control over the mess that he inherited from Trump"

I would think that was obvious.
I believe Bush did not destroy automobiles.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Not according to Jesus and probably most who actually believe in him. Also, not according to me.

Who says you have a "diminished life"? Due to what?

Happiness comes from within oneself, not what's outside of it.
I believe I had to ditch NESN Sports network because inflation squeezed my budget.