• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can you be a True Christian™ if you don't take the Eden story literally?

Tinkerpeach

I can. You might not be able to. Ironically you just claimed that when it comes to science that it is only pseudoscience.

What is your opinion about the Bible? Is it right no matter what? For example if it says that Jesus was born twice at times at least ten years apart from each other is it still right?

If it says that there was a magical flood that never happened is it still right?

Or are you going to say that those parts of the Bible should not be interpreted literally?
It is correct no matter what.

However our interpretations of it are often wrong. It simply does not provide us enough information on many issues for us to have a clear understanding of what was actually happening.

Tinkerpeach

So of what use is the bible since nobody knows
what it is talking about?
The important things God wants us to understand such as salvation through Christ are very clear, things put in there for context are not. The Bible is also filled with examples, many examples, of people facing a crisis or dilemma that we are facing and it shows us what God expects us to do in those situations.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is correct no matter what.

However our interpretations of it are often wrong. It simply does not provide us enough information on many issues for us to have a clear understanding of what was actually happening.
Okay. that is not as bad as some. But why trust the Bible in the first place?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not sure how else to answer it honestly
That pretty much tells others that you do not seem to have a reasonable reason to believe what you believe.

But getting back to the title of the thread do you not realize that there are many Christian, probably most, that do not accept the stories of Genesis as being literal history? They are fine with treating them as morality tales. And that is actually rather wise. First we know that those events did not happen as told. There never were only two people. There never was a worldwide flood or even one that threatened humanity. In fact they work much better as morality tales since that would mean that he is not the incompetent fool that the Adam and Eve story make him out to be or the immoral monster that the Noah's Flood myth paints him as. The worst acts attributed to God can be explained away as a morality tales whose lesson was about faith and not history.

Audie

Veteran Member
That pretty much tells others that you do not seem to have a reasonable reason to believe what you believe.

But getting back to the title of the thread do you not realize that there are many Christian, probably most, that do not accept the stories of Genesis as being literal history? They are fine with treating them as morality tales. And that is actually rather wise. First we know that those events did not happen as told. There never were only two people. There never was a worldwide flood or even one that threatened humanity. In fact they work much better as morality tales since that would mean that he is not the incompetent fool that the Adam and Eve story make him out to be or the immoral monster that the Noah's Flood myth paints him as. The worst acts attributed to God can be explained away as a morality tales whose lesson was about faith and not history.
It would be terrible to say that all Christians
are so ignorant and dishonest as to believe " literal flood".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Its...about half.
The US finally got down to a little less than half of the Christians believing the creation myths. And you are probably right. I do not know of any polls on the Noah's Ark myth but the numbers are probably very similar. When I said that it was a clear minority I was talking globally. In the US, not so much. Yay us! We have some of the most gullible people in the world.

Bthoth

For those of you who don't take the story of the Fall literally.
What fall?

Gen 3:
20 And the man calleth his wife's name Eve: for she hath been mother of all living.

21 And Jehovah God doth make to the man and to his wife coats of skin, and doth clothe them.

22 And Jehovah God saith, `Lo, the man was as one of Us, as to the knowledge of good and evil; and now, lest he send forth his hand, and have taken also of the tree of life, and eaten, and lived to the age,' --
Adam, Eve, Tree, Serpent, etc, how do you envision the Fall of Man happening?
From instinctive life, to conscious. Capable to name his wife, clothing from the garden (nature)

and as the YLT version shares, god was expressing an equally capable life (conscious)

I often ask "how could Love even be experienced without the conscious experience?".
And if it didn't happen, what use is Jesus?

I do not see how that fits, as the flood story claimed to wipe out the bad and the rest of us are direct brethren via noah lineage

Audie

Veteran Member
What fall?

Gen 3:
20 And the man calleth his wife's name Eve: for she hath been mother of all living.

21 And Jehovah God doth make to the man and to his wife coats of skin, and doth clothe them.

22 And Jehovah God saith, `Lo, the man was as one of Us, as to the knowledge of good and evil; and now, lest he send forth his hand, and have taken also of the tree of life, and eaten, and lived to the age,' --

From instinctive life, to conscious. Capable to name his wife, clothing from the garden (nature)

and as the YLT version shares, god was expressing an equally capable life (conscious)

I often ask "how could Love even be experienced without the conscious experience?".

I do not see how that fits, as the flood story claimed to wipe out the bad and the rest of us are direct brethren via noah lineage
Do you ask what profiteth you to attempt
where all else have failed, to puzzle the Truth
of stories that are not true?

Bthoth

Do you ask what profiteth you to attempt
where all else have failed, to puzzle the Truth
of stories that are not true?
I believe the stories were written to help answer questions, that many of us have had.

The interpretations vary and even the versions vary. I try to see the works from the eyes of an empathetic mind.

Giving of self for life to continue; contributing with Love.

Tinkerpeach

We don’t know what precisely happened in Genesis since we are given very little actual information.

It’s like trying to guess a 20 word phrase on Wheel of Fortune with only one letter showing.

Audie

Veteran Member
I believe the stories were written to help answer questions, that many of us have had.

The interpretations vary and even the versions vary. I try to see the works from the eyes of an empathetic mind.

Giving of self for life to continue; contributing with Love.
Of what help are false answers?

Audie

Veteran Member
We don’t know what precisely happened in Genesis since we are given very little actual information.

It’s like trying to guess a 20 word phrase on Wheel of Fortune with only one letter showing.
There is a great deal of information on such
as evolution and earth histoty.

None (zero) of it supports Bible story,
tho much directly disproves it.

How much of what sort of info do you need?