• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can you be a True Christian™ if you don't take the Eden story literally?

ppp

The story is there for context since God had to write a beginning, just like an ending.

It really doesn’t matter if it’s literal or not it’s the story about man falling from grace with God ultimately culminating with the Death of Jesus.

People who focus on the details are missing Gods point
So, you just ignore both questions. Not much point in responding.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Because God does not want us to focus on the details, He wants us to focus on our salvation through Christ and everything that comes with that.

The rest of the Bible is there to provide a little history and many examples of how we are to live our lives.

Knowing what color the snake was in the Garden is irrelevant
But the details, like the serpent could talk and, apparently could walk, make the story sound like nothing more than myth. So, why take any of it literally? But I do believe it is much more powerful of a story if it is taken literally. But taken as history?

There's a lot of details in the "history" that don't sound like they could have possibly really happened... except for those people that do take the whole Bible literally. For example... the parting of the seas, a walking stick, or staff, turning into a snake, Elijah being carried off into the sky in a fiery chariot. Mythical, fictional, with some kind of spiritual and moral message sounds more likely to me.

But believe as much or as little of it as you want. I'm sure it has lots of meaning and importance for your life.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Because God does not want us to focus on the details, He wants us to focus on our salvation through Christ and everything that comes with that.
What about those who lived before Christ or who live now but don't even know who he is?

IOW, are only Christians supposedly to be "saved"?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So when do we discuss the ramifications of European politics upon the OP?

Or India's dangerous space program. We can't let them have space. They have plenty of space already.

Tinkerpeach

What about those who lived before Christ or who live now but don't even know who he is?

IOW, are only Christians supposedly to be "saved"?
The ones before Christ were covered by the law in the OT and those who don’t know Christ get a free pass

Tinkerpeach

But the details, like the serpent could talk and, apparently could walk, make the story sound like nothing more than myth. So, why take any of it literally? But I do believe it is much more powerful of a story if it is taken literally. But taken as history?

There's a lot of details in the "history" that don't sound like they could have possibly really happened... except for those people that do take the whole Bible literally. For example... the parting of the seas, a walking stick, or staff, turning into a snake, Elijah being carried off into the sky in a fiery chariot. Mythical, fictional, with some kind of spiritual and moral message sounds more likely to me.

But believe as much or as little of it as you want. I'm sure it has lots of meaning and importance for your life.
Take it literally or not, it doesn’t really matter.

The things God wants us to focus on are very clearly explained in detail multiple times.

Honestly I dont even bother with Genesis or Revelations

Audie

Veteran Member
Take it literally or not, it doesn’t really matter.

The things God wants us to focus on are very clearly explained in detail multiple times.

Honestly I dont even bother with Genesis or Revelations
So, "god" won't care if you preach falsehoods
in ""his" name such as flood.

And in the process state that he is a mass murderer.