• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can you be a True Christian™ if you don't take the Eden story literally?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I believe the media stated that congress was not able to act so it was up to the president to do so. It was not an original idea for Obama.
The media can make whatever suggestions it wants. This is not a fiat. It is not the media running the government.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Are you kidding me? Are you trying to say that cutting down on CO2 produced by man will not help? You are now in deep denial of reality if you claim that. We know that man has almost doubled the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. We know that CO2 acts as a blanket. Throw another blanket on in the winter and you will get warmer. Sleeping underneath a pile of blankets in the summer can kill a person.

Now it is valid to ask "How do they know that?" It is not valid for a person that does not even understand the basics of science an that refuses to learn to object to changes that are made to fight AGW. If you want to have a valid opinion you need to educate yourself.
I believe the answer to that is that it will help reduce air pollution but will not alter climate change. For instance the USA has reduced air pollution from vehicle emissions but in the east we suffered from smoky air from forest fires in the west and Canada. We are not going to stop volcanos from spouting fumes either.

Muffled

Jesus in me
You can have faith in God. You cannot KNOW there is a God, since God can be neither proven nor disproven. You subjective experiences of God can be explained as dissociation.
I believe if one tries hard enough one can explain all reality into oblivion. We have some of those on RF who suggest nothing is real but just part of an AI fiction. The truth is you can't prove it is dissociation.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I believe if one tries hard enough one can explain all reality into oblivion. We have some of those on RF who suggest nothing is real but just part of an AI fiction. The truth is you can't prove it is dissociation.
I didn't claim it was dissociation. I personally believe in God. I'm just saying that dissociation is a legitimate explanation for our personal experiences of God, that it is a possibility. At this point, no one can prove it is, and no one can prove it isn't.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe the answer to that is that it will help reduce air pollution but will not alter climate change. For instance the USA has reduced air pollution from vehicle emissions but in the east we suffered from smoky air from forest fires in the west and Canada. We are not going to stop volcanos from spouting fumes either.
We can tell by isotopic analysis of CO2 to see where it came from. The excessive CO2 is not from volcanoes. It has been shown to be from man. Do you need links? I can supply them.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I didn't claim it was dissociation. I personally believe in God. I'm just saying that dissociation is a legitimate explanation for our personal experiences of God, that it is a possibility. At this point, no one can prove it is, and no one can prove it isn't.
I believe however, that it can be logically investigated.

Muffled

Jesus in me
We can tell by isotopic analysis of CO2 to see where it came from. The excessive CO2 is not from volcanoes. It has been shown to be from man. Do you need links? I can supply them.
I believe it but I also believe you will not get totalitarian regimes to reduce their carbon footprint as we have and even if Co2 is reduced it will not diminish Climate Change much. It will be like blowing into the wind to stop the wind.

Bthoth

For those of you who don't take the story of the Fall literally. Adam, Eve, Tree, Serpent, etc, how do you envision the Fall of Man happening? And if it didn't happen, what use is Jesus?
I consider the story as a metaphor for the transition of life becoming conscious. From instinctively driven to capable of knowing that it is a alive and then able to represent the position of an individual.

I noted the story of narsisus is a greek model of the same experience (transition). Unaware to OMG I am alive.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe it but I also believe you will not get totalitarian regimes to reduce their carbon footprint as we have and even if Co2 is reduced it will not diminish Climate Change much. It will be like blowing into the wind to stop the wind.
China may "pollute more" than the US, but it also has over three times our population. On a per capita basis we are above them. And they are one of the leaders in development of alternate sources of energy. They are taking this seriously even if it will take them a while to get off of oil and coal. The totalitarian regimes that may oppose change do not add nearly as much as the rest of the world when it comes to CO2.

Bthoth

Breathing releases CO2..........

Them bad ol ' dinosaurs.
China may "pollute more" than the US, but it also has over three times our population.
5 times the population of US
And they are one of the leaders in development of alternate sources of energy.
yep..... They already have the best chemical batteries and solar cells.
They are taking this seriously even if it will take them a while to get off of oil and coal.
US businesses are not getting US contracts for coal/gas electrical generation but china is still building them because they do not have the regulations that 'we' do.
The totalitarian regimes that may oppose change do not add nearly as much as the rest of the world when it comes to CO2.
No idea what that means. The USA is a totalitarian country: business totally rules US.

ppp

I consider the story as a metaphor for the transition of life becoming conscious. From instinctively driven to capable of knowing that it is a alive and then able to represent the position of an individual.

I noted the story of narsisus is a greek model of the same experience (transition). Unaware to OMG I am alive.
As a Christian who takes the story of the Fall metaphorically, what use do you assign to Jesus?

Bthoth

As a Christian who takes the story of the Fall metaphorically, what use do you assign to Jesus?
Reaffirm the laws (mark 10-17-19) and remind people of what is coming.
The idea that a man sacrifices himself for the sins of others and then people keep sinning, is a pretty lousy ideology to believe.

What is also pretty hilarious is many believe jesus was messiah, left and then has to come back to finish the job of unveiling the christos (name of god).

ppp

Reaffirm the laws (mark 10-17-19) and remind people of what is coming.
The entire area was slam full of apocalyptic preachers running around reaffirming the laws and preaching what was supposedly coming. Many of whom were in line with the various takes of what Jesus is depicted to have been teaching in the Gospels. Aside from being almost as popular as the Beatles, what unique use is Jesus? Could he have been replaced by some other guy of the same name, and brought the exact same value to the table?

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe global warming is real. Solutions are not. They won't work any better than the attempt to alter hurricanes.
What does "Solutions are not" real mean? If they don't work, they are still real. And what does that mean that they won't work?

Yeah the nuclear solution to hurricanes didn't have much behind it from the start. It was an irrational thought by an irrational person.