• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How certain are we that Jesus was historical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I did not at any point argue that Wallace's historicity is in any way certain or soundly established.

I have no certainty that Wallace was historical

I am most sorry that I ever mentioned Wallace's name.
On HJ threads, if an analogy is suggested, it can lead off into pages and pages of unending and circular 'discussion'. :D

Good ol' Wiki offer this for Wallace (in brief):-
William Wallace
Landowner
Sir William Wallace was a Scottish landowner who became one of the main leaders during the Wars of Scottish Independence.
Born: 1270, Elderslie
Died: August 23, 1305, Smithfield, London
Height: 1.95 m
Full name: William Wallace
Spouse: Marion Braidfute (m. ?–1297)
Children: Elizabeth Wallace

And so, whilst it is not possible to be certain, the above list does seem plausible, and we do know that many myths were built around Wallace. I suggested that Wallace's proposed historicity does seem stronger than Jesus's because we do have a year (place) of birth and date (place) of death, together with names offered for spouse and daughter.

But Wallace might be a suitable example of historical/mythical mix for some members. :shrug:

And if anybody wants to lead me around the maze over this...... tough cookie.... no dice! :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
You first claimed to be an historian.

Later you claimed to be an expert in espionage.

That was a lie.

Not true........ no he did not. He claimed he had studied and qualified in counter terrorism and another history subject which included espionage.

If you would be more accurate about everything, folks might take more notice of what you write. And for goodness sake please do go and learn how to precis the info down! Your signature should be TLDR! :D

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Legion

Wallace is a historical figure, his historicity is a guess -there is no certainty.

Throw as epic a tantrum as you wish Legion, you made a mistake. I have told no lies about my qualifications, and have no need to do so - that is about a dozen times now that you have made that same accusation. Man up Legion you can do better than these pathetic, shamelessly dishonest ad hominem attacks.

FOCUS ON THE ARGUMENT LEGION.

You were attacking my certainty that Wallace was historical and how rudely I treat anypne who questioned it.

Now we have established that I have no such certainty (I have explained that 7 times I think). So you are attacking ad naseum a strawman that has been addressed many times already.

We have also established that nobody was questioning the historicity of Wallace and so your second accusation is equally vapid.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If there was no "Jesus" then where did Christianity come from?

Has an alternate theory been brought forth which is based on anything more than speculation?

Christianity exists, it was started by somebody. The words of Jesus had a source. If not an individual that thought themselves a messiah or messenger of God then who?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat

Has an alternate theory been brought forth which is based on anything more than speculation?

Christianity exists, it was started by somebody. The words of Jesus had a source. If not an individual that thought themselves a messiah or messenger of God then who?

Well Christianity emerged in 3rd century Rome. The alternate theories are many, one is that the Jesus story may be based on more than one historical person - another is that he may even be an invention. All are speculation however, just as is the historicity of Jesus.

Sure Chrisianity exists, but the words of Jesus come from people who we have not yet identified. We do not know who wtote the gospels.

Sapiens

Polymathematician

If there was no Hercules where did the ancient Greek religion come from?

If there was no Gilgamesh where did Mesopotamian religion come from?

If there was no Osiris where did the Egyptian religion come from?

If there was no Thor where did the Norse religion come from?

etc., etc., etc.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
With 'others' meant to include every other king, high priest, and assistant high priest that rose up over the centuries.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If there was no Hercules where did the ancient Greek religion come from?

If there was no Gilgamesh where did Mesopotamian religion come from?

If there was no Osiris where did the Egyptian religion come from?

If there was no Thor where did the Norse religion come from?

etc., etc., etc.

All separate topics.
There are historians who objectively accept the existence of a historical "Jesus".
The simplest answer is there was a historical Jesus.

If you have an alternate theory you can support fine. Otherwise it is reasonable for a person to accept the most likely, simplest answer.

Otherwise there are numerous names that have been recorded that you may of may not be able to identify to a specific individual. So what. That doesn't mean every individual you can't specifically identify never existed.

Someone originated the words of Jesus. Do you any reason beyond speculation that we should not accept the simplest answer of it being the historical founder of Christianity?

Sapiens

Polymathematician
All separate topics.
No they're not. You must be willing to call all of them as likely as Jesus or to call all of them (including Jesus) as equally unlikely.
There are historians who objectively accept the existence of a historical "Jesus".
There are problems with what the word "objective" means ... different standards are applied to biblical studies than are applied to say, the historicity of individuals in Restoration England.
The simplest answer is there was. a historical Jesus.
I disagree.
If you have an alternate theory you can support fine. Otherwise it is reasonable for a person to accept the most likely, simplest answer.
I agree, however, what is the simplest answer is open to question.
Otherwise there are numerous names that have been recorded that you may of may not be able to identify to a specific individual. So what. That doesn't mean every individual you can't specifically identify never existed.
No, it doesn't mean that every individual you can't specifically identify never existed, but it does mean that you can not reliably claim anything about any such individual.
Someone originated the words of Jesus. Do you any reason beyond speculation that we should not accept the simplest answer of it being the historical founder of Christianity?
Perhaps many "someones." Perhaps they were "originated" as the words of someone else and re-purposed, nobody knows.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
No they're not. You must be willing to call all of them as likely as Jesus or to call all of them (including Jesus) as equally unlikely.

Not really. Perhaps if this thread the certainty of their historical existence. I'd suspect there various arguments for a historical for each. I don't think this thread is a place to present those argument any if I had an interest in doing so.

There are problems with what the word "objective" means ... different standards are applied to biblical studies than are applied to say, the historicity of individuals in Restoration England.

Objective means setting aside one's own bias. If there was any evidence to prove this was not the case.

I disagree.

Fine, I'm open to to anything that isn't reliant on mere speculation.

I agree, however, what is the simplest answer is open to question.

So the answer is? That's what I want to hear, something reasonable.

No, it doesn't mean that every individual you can't specifically identify never existed, but it does mean that you can not reliably claim anything about any such individual.

Correct, so you take what is available, weigh it, and make a reasonable call. Right now from what I've seen (I realize there ain't a lot) it topples just over the line of certainty.

Mostly you have the existent of Christianity plus Josephus plus the gospels plus the letters of Paul.

The last two are iffy but there is something. I'm just saying with what there is, accepting a historical Jesus character is reasonable.

Perhaps many "someones." Perhaps they were "originated" as the words of someone else and re-purposed, nobody knows.

I would happily go the other way but it'd have to be reasonable to do so. I don't see that it is yet.

We have four "things" that tilt the scale towards certainty versus nothing on the other side. I'm not saying it's much , just that it is what there is.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Nakosis

Sure, it is a good explanatiom of the evidence to think it likely that Jesus really did exist.

But that is just our best guess - not something that can be proven. Personally I believe that the Jesus story is likely to have been based upon one or more real people.
While it is indeed plausible that Jesus was historical, no primary evidence to connect the stories to a specific historical person have yet been found. You keep saying that 'the simplest answer is that Jesus was historical', well that is not true - 'Jesus may have been historical' is just as simple, so is 'It seems likely that Jesus was historical, and of course 'We do not know if Jesus was historical, but it is possible' is also just as simple (and more accurate).

You even say yourself that you realise that there is not much evidence, but then say that it is enough to 'topple just over the line to certainty' - well no. Not much evidence does not give you certainty. It gives you a best guess.

Last edited:

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Not really. Perhaps if this thread the certainty of their historical existence. I'd suspect there various arguments for a historical for each. I don't think this thread is a place to present those argument any if I had an interest in doing so.
Too late, this threads over 1K long and it already contains many posts on the subject, despite your thinking that this thread is not a place to present those arguments, the horse is out of the barn. I guess too many did have an interest in doing so.
Objective means setting aside one's own bias. If there was any evidence to prove this was not the case.
It is not possible to prove the absence of something ... burden is on you to prove existence, if you can, and the contemporaneous sources that you need to do so do not exist.
Fine, I'm open to to anything that isn't reliant on mere speculation.
That's awfully good of you, now hurry along and find a source that is something other than mere speculation.
So the answer is? That's what I want to hear, something reasonable.
The answer is: you need to go find something reasonable, that is contemporaneous or even better eyewitness, not just assume that things are the way you'd have them.
Correct, so you take what is available, weigh it, and make a reasonable call. Right now from what I've seen (I realize there ain't a lot) it topples just over the line of certainty.

Mostly you have the existent of Christianity plus Josephus plus the gospels plus the letters of Paul.

The last two are iffy but there is something. I'm just saying with what there is, accepting a historical Jesus character is reasonable.
The first is ludicrous, there are roughly 4,200 religions in the world today. Using the ratio of today's population to all the people who ever lived, that yields about 63K religions for all of Homo sapiens' history. If you consider polytheism that number easily grows to about 28 million. So get reasonable, why should anyone see your special case as anything different than all that others that were or are extant.

As far as Josephus is concerned, he makes a much better case for the historicity of Hercules than he does for Jesus. Everyone agrees that a great deal of what we currently have is a forgery, there is "general agreement" that while the Testimonium Flavianum is most likely not authentic in its entirety, it originally consisted of an authentic nucleus, which was then subject to Christian expansion. The exact nature and extent of the Christian expansion remains unclear. You gonna bet your immortal soul on that? I wouldn't take that bet without really longs odds.

Need we really discuss Paul, who is more rationally explained by a bad Ergot mold trip than divine intercession?
I would happily go the other way but it'd have to be reasonable to do so. I don't see that it is yet.

We have four "things" that tilt the scale towards certainty versus nothing on the other side. I'm not saying it's much , just that it is what there is.
Coming into focus for you yet?

You see, the real problem it that today's "biblical scholarship" started out as Christian Apologetics and hasn't progressed much beyond that. Add to that, the fact that if the historicity of Jesus goes by the way, Christianity also goes by the way, and all those scholars and apologists and preachers and priests and missionaries and what-not will all have to get regular jobs.

Last edited:

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
..Scuttlebut's pics are nice! :)
I particularly like his spaceship pics......
He makes me laugh.... :biglaugh:

Good for you mate, you'd make a good Christian because as the bumper stickers say-
"CHRISTIANS DIE LAUGHING!"

Speaking of rofling, my fans all over internet-land are monitoring this forum to enjoy watching me in action as I bust a**, and they bombard me with truckloads of fan mail, here's a section of my audience being entertained by my superhuman wit and intellect..:)

audience_zps5244042b.jpg~original

Last edited:

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Good for you mate, you'd make a good Christian because as the bumper stickers say-
"CHRISTIANS DIE LAUGHING!"

Speaking of rofling, my fans all over internet-land are monitoring this forum to enjoy watching me in action as I bust a**, and they bombard me with truckloads of fan mail, here's a section of my audience being entertained by my superhuman wit and intellect..:)

audience_zps5244042b.jpg~original

I am NO giant fan of the people you're coming against right now so if anyone is going to be honest to you about this it is me. I think you would grow tremendously as a person if you befriended some people outside of your church family and really tried hard to learn about them and understand more than your limited perspective. It is fairly obvious that you lack such associations now, because to most people here you look crazy.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
I think you would grow tremendously as a person if you befriended some people outside of your church family..

1- I've already grown tremendously..:)
Shutt-Bmoc_zpsae9c0dac.jpg~original

2- What church family? I don't go to church!
Anyway internet-land is like one big worldwide family and i've got chums all over the planet, here's some of their feedback I get in assorted forums (I'm Mick)..:)-

Spannerose- "Mick, I would like you to know that the result of reading your posts I am left with the desire to pick up my bible for the first time in years"
ChildofLight- "So good to read your responses Mick, some are quite witty and made LOL"
Happysandyh - "welcome Mick, welcome welcome!"
HenryS - "You are brilliant Mick in finding appropriate phrases. Another one of your superb emails to store"
Firebrand - "Amen and welcome Mick"
Coconut - "Whew! Thanks for sharing Mick"
Sarah4Jesus - "Listen to Mick in Plymouth, he is a great teacher"
Cathie - "Very wise advice Mick, thanks"
Kierri - "That was one of the best explanations I've ever heard! Yay for Mick in Plymouth"
Haimehenmmli - "I LOVE IT MATE!!! I'm going to put it into my files, with some of my other favorites, from you"
Evachrst3 - "Right on, Mick, I couldn't agree more.Thank you for defending the faith so eloquently".
Devilmademedoit2 - "I love this! Thanks, Mick!"
SweetSummer96 - "Wow. That's a cool story Mick."
Vespasian052 - "Wow! Mick,what an awesome tale.."
Beekpr9 - "Amen to all you have said, Mick!"
Saipan1777 - "Spot on Mick bravo"
Duke Tinn - "Thanks again Mick. Great Stuff"
Tahella - "Welcome Mick!"
Ainglkiss - "Mick what a wonderful story. You write so well. Keep up the great work"
BlessedOne - "Glad to have you here Mick! Jesus is the way!"
MonkGirl - "Wow, thank you Mick! That is really comforting...and all I really needed to hear!"
WOFman - "Welcome Mick!"
JeffC - "HELL YEAH! PREACH IT BROTHER, THE REALITY WAY! (LUV YUR STYLE....)
Nottonguetied - "I loved those stories from Mick"
Honeybearx - "This was very good reading thank you Mick"
Megan - "Mick, I just wanted to tell you that I loved this story, it was very touching"
Benjoman - "Your one of the only ones from the singles board that I still love Mick"
Allisoneness -"You are the one true Christian on here, keep up the good work and praise the Lord"
Sherry Anne - "Mick i love your posts"
Antipas - "Brilliant yet again Mick"
Easynote - "ROFL Mick you are pure class, another of your timeless classics!"
Kermit - "I love Mick. He is so, how shall I say it, RIGHT ON THE MONEY AND FUNNY, TOO"
Kermmiekr - "How uplifting Mick, and so very true"
Chrysalis55- "Just want to say, I love your posts and your messages not only insprire me, sometimes they make me laugh
because you are able to get your point across in such a great way. WAY TO GO waymarker!!!"
Evenflow- I just LOVE this post You have made me smile BIG TIME this morning. Good for you and what a great attitude you have to life xx
Apple Pie - "Really good to see you, Mick. Come on over to 4church, we could do with your input and your humour"
Lillian - "Mick please come back..it's nice having you on the board"
Luismtzzz- "I like how you reason religion. I am enjoying your answers"
Justforme- "I am so happy to meet a sensible Christian"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.