• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I make money?

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I have a problem, probably one that many teenagers face:

I need money ($450 or so by early December, to be specific), but there's no available jobs in my area (I did apply for the jobs on campus that I felt I was qualified for, but got rejected from one and haven't heard anything back from the other). It wouldn't make sense to ask mom for money in this case, since it's for a Christmas present for a friend.

Is there a way I can make money over the internet, or are all sites promoting such things scams?

I've got no particularly outstanding skills, but I do have the following:
An Associate's Degree in Science
Some experience writing for a print newspaper (opinion columns)
Small amounts of Java programming experience (probably not anything useful, beyond making the computer do math and draw lines)
Above average knowledge of the Bible's contents (probably not useful, since any job that would appreciate that is pro-Bible)
Basic ability to use programs like Microsoft Word and Excel
Experience in volunteer work (no paid employment history, which may be why no job I've applied to thus far will accept me)

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

You should be able to make that amount of money or more working as a waiter or as a pizza delivery guy. Heck, the local grocery store should be able to hire you.

You don't need experience for any of these jobs. Just convince them on sight that you are dependable and a hard worker.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Find a temp agency & be the guy they like to send out on jobs because you do good work & are eager. Be willing to commute.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
You don't need experience for any of these jobs. Just convince them on sight that you are dependable and a hard worker.

How do I do this? I AM a dependable and hard worker, but it's not like someone can see traits like that just by looking at people.

Find a temp agency & be the guy they like to send out on jobs because you do good work & are eager. Be willing to commute.

Hmm, it hadn't occurred to me to look outside campus for jobs... how do I get to one of these temp agencies? How do I "commute"?

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
How do I do this? I AM a dependable and hard worker, but it's not like someone can see traits like that just by looking at people.

Start applying everywhere. Walk in and ask for an application. I'd say apply to many places, because 1 - you'll have some choices, and 2 - you won't be offered a job at several places you apply to. Don't be disheartened when that happens - it's normal and part of job hunting. Just keep applying.

Hmm, it hadn't occurred to me to look outside campus for jobs... how do I get to one of these temp agencies? How do I "commute"?

Look up temp agencies in your area online. For commuting, do you have a busing system?

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Start applying everywhere. Walk in and ask for an application. I'd say apply to many places, because 1 - you'll have some choices, and 2 - you won't be offered a job at several places you apply to. Don't be disheartened when that happens - it's normal and part of job hunting. Just keep applying.

Look up temp agencies in your area online. For commuting, do you have a busing system?

I applied to both of the jobs I felt qualified for and might try another one if the employer gets back to me with information on the position (things like if it's still open, how the hours are determined, etc). There's a lot of jobs on campus, but very little of which I'm qualified for (most require being in a specific field, being incredibly proficient at one skill, or having experience).

I tried to look up some temp agencies, but have come up with nothing useful. Temp agencies don't appear to do entry level jobs, or jobs that I can even physically get to (seriously, who can walk 25 miles to their job every day?!?).

And no, there's no busing system that I know of.

Songbird

I applied to both of the jobs I felt qualified for and might try another one if the employer gets back to me with information on the position (things like if it's still open, how the hours are determined, etc). There's a lot of jobs on campus, but very little of which I'm qualified for (most require being in a specific field, being incredibly proficient at one skill, or having experience).

I tried to look up some temp agencies, but have come up with nothing useful. Temp agencies don't appear to do entry level jobs, or jobs that I can even physically get to (seriously, who can walk 25 miles to their job every day?!?).

And no, there's no busing system that I know of.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Another advantage to applying to as many places as you can: if you haven't heard back from one potential employer but another has offered a less desirable job, you can call the employer and say you'd like to know if the job is available because another place would like to hire you and you need to make a decision.

Good luck!

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Another advantage to applying to as many places as you can: if you haven't heard back from one potential employer but another has offered a less desirable job, you can call the employer and say you'd like to know if the job is available because another place would like to hire you and you need to make a decision.

Good luck!

That sounds extremely rude. Are you sure I can say stuff like that to people?

Anyway, I doubt having a job is the way to go given my schedule, unless they have jobs that operate specifically on evenings or weekends. Almost all jobs seem to run from 8-5, and that's impossible for me to do with my classes. My classes are spaced out in a way that would make it impossible to go to a job any time before 5:00 on Mondays/Wednesdays, and 3:30 on Tuesdays/Thursdays/Fridays, unless I was able to do the job from my dorm room in intervals that lasted less than an hour.

Songbird

That's not rude, sweetie, that's business! I might say, "Hi, this is Bird, and I applied last week for a job with you. I've received another job offer and I'd like to know if you've made a decision yet because you are my top choice. Do you have an idea of when you'll decide?"

Anyway, I doubt having a job is the way to go given my schedule, unless they have jobs that operate specifically on evenings or weekends. Almost all jobs seem to run from 8-5, and that's impossible for me to do with my classes. My classes are spaced out in a way that would make it impossible to go to a job any time before 5:00 on Mondays/Wednesdays, and 3:30 on Tuesdays/Thursdays/Fridays, unless I was able to do the job from my dorm room in intervals that lasted less than an hour.

There should be lots of part-time jobs for college students. Have you checked your campus resources or student advisor? Many colleges can direct students to places of employment.

rsd

ACBSP77
I have a problem, probably one that many teenagers face: I need money ($450 or so by early December, to be specific)... it's for a Christmas present for a friend.

Call me old-fashion but a teenager needing to spend $450 for a friend's X-mas present??? What's up with that? Perhaps you could make something or find something heartfelt, but way less expensive. There are so many alternatives. I would encourage you to re-examine things.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
That's not rude, sweetie, that's business! I might say, "Hi, this is Bird, and I applied last week for a job with you. I've received another job offer and I'd like to know if you've made a decision yet because you are my top choice. Do you have an idea of when you'll decide?"

There should be lots of part-time jobs for college students. Have you checked your campus resources or student advisor? Many colleges can direct students to places of employment.

At this point, I'm not even sure if I have multiple jobs to apply to anyway...
I've went through the list of campus jobs. Anything off-campus will most likely be unrealistic to get to, since I can't drive or ride a bike.

Call me old-fashion but a teenager needing to spend $450 for a friend's X-mas present??? What's up with that? Perhaps you could make something or find something heartfelt, but way less expensive. There are so many alternatives. I would encourage you to re-examine things.

Well, the gift is roughly $225, I'm including the price of getting one for myself as well :p.
Bellicose
(Yes, it says $109, but +$25 for the battery setup, and +100 for the sound board and AV switch = $234)
My friend's a big fan of Star Wars, so I figured the most fun thing I could do for Winter Break would be a surprise lightsaber duel :).

EDIT:
I'm googling stuff and apparently online surveys are pretty popular. The vast majority of them appear to be scams, but Opinion Outpost looks like it MIGHT be legit. Has anyone else used them before?
www.opinionoutpost.com/
CashBack Research also looks like it MIGHT be legit, but I still would have no idea...
http://www.cashbackresearch.com/doi/index.asp?utm_campaign=onlinejobs

(The thing about these is that there are pretty much no neutral sources regarding these, although I haven't heard any major bad things about them, like I have with, say, BigSpot.)

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
If you can't commute to a job and there are no opportunities on campus, you can still make some money. Dog walking, lawn mowing, snow shoveling, odd jobs, a paper or flyer route and home computer repair are good choices if you are in a residential area and have to work around your classes. Don't blow your pay on Christmas presents though. Get a bike and start working toward a driver's license and car. If you can get around, you can increase your choice of jobs. If you want to work independently, expect to hustle.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I agree with Alceste on all counts. Your options are very limited until you have the ability to actually GET TO a job. Most entry level jobs simply aren't going to come to you.

Also - that's too much money to spend on ANYONE'S Christmas present! Heck, I've worked for thirty years and have an established career and I don't spend that much money on a single Christmas present - ever.

That's half my entire Christmas budget, and I have four kids, seven grandkids, a husband, two parents, and two brothers.

You can make $100 a day or so doing lawn work. You can make close to that for a weekend of dog sitting. Beyond that, I'm not sure what you can do if transportatin is a problem.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass

You seem like you don't really want to work and think there might be an easy way to get what you want. That's a perfect recipe for being someone's or some company's "mark" for a scam. You're better off learning how to get a job, sharpening up your interview skills and building your self-confidence now when low wage jobs are on the line than you are learning after you get your degree and are looking for a career.

As for the hours, there are plenty of jobs that have flexible schedules that work around students' lifestyles. I worked in retail stores when I put myself through college. Since they're usually open until 9 or 10 at night, I could go to classes in the morning and work in the afternoon and evenings. Those shifts were meant for students. Same deal with restaurants.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I agree with Alceste on all counts. Your options are very limited until you have the ability to actually GET TO a job. Most entry level jobs simply aren't going to come to you.

Also - that's too much money to spend on ANYONE'S Christmas present! Heck, I've worked for thirty years and have an established career and I don't spend that much money on a single Christmas present - ever.

That's half my entire Christmas budget, and I have four kids, seven grandkids, a husband, two parents, and two brothers.

You can make $100 a day or so doing lawn work. You can make close to that for a weekend of dog sitting. Beyond that, I'm not sure what you can do if transportatin is a problem.

I pretty much have just the one friend, so $450 is my entire Christmas budget :/.
The lawn work thing sounds like it'd work pretty well, especially as it gets colder, but I'm pretty sure the campus already has workers to mow it's lawn... maybe there's houses within walking distance from campus, how would I go about applying for such a job?

doppelgänger;2594046 said:
You seem like you don't really want to work and think there might be an easy way to get what you want. That's a perfect recipe for being someone's or some company's "mark" for a scam. You're better off learning how to get a job, sharpening up your interview skills and building your self-confidence now when low wage jobs are on the line than you are learning after you get your degree and are looking for a career.

As for the hours, there are plenty of jobs that have flexible schedules that work around students' lifestyles. I worked in retail stores when I put myself through college. Since they're usually open until 9 or 10 at night, I could go to classes in the morning and work in the afternoon and evenings. Those shifts were meant for students. Same deal with restaurants.

I don't know where you get this impression. It's certainly not true.

I haven't seen any such stores. Where do I go to hear about these?

A

angellous_evangellous

Look people in the eye. Firm handshake (but not crushing). Look nice but not overdressed. Answer questions confidently but not arrogantly.

If you have an interview, show up at least five minutes early.

A

angellous_evangellous

You just might be able to sell enough plasma by your deadline.

That would make the gift extra special.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I haven't seen any such stores. Where do I go to hear about these?
Go to the local mall. If transportation is an issue, there's always a bus route that runs by the mall throughout the day. Go to a nearby local discount retailer (i.e. Target or Wal-Mart). If you have no expenses, you can probably get the amount you need working part time in a matter of weeks.

If you didn't have a pressing need, I'd agree with the comment above to start your own business. But you'll have to take time to develop and market it, so you won't see a return for a while, if at all. The upside of doing that is much better if it works though.