• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Define a "God"?

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
I used to worship the moon. I would stand naked out on the lawn in the light of the full moon and howl. Then the neighbors started to complain and the cops showed up, so I figured the moon didn't want my worship so now I hate the moon. I can only go out at night at new moon, and refuse to eat blue cheese at twilight.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I used to worship the moon. I would stand naked out on the lawn in the light of the full moon and howl. Then the neighbors started to complain and the cops showed up, so I figured the moon didn't want my worship so now I hate the moon. I can only go out at night at new moon, and refuse to eat blue cheese at twilight.

The moon is an analogy, dude. I just think people don't get the whole "finger" thing. (Frubals, when I can.)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To me, you don't define god, you experience it. That is, god is a certain kind of experience, radically different from all other kinds of experience, that sometimes happens to individuals. It seems to occur when the subject/object division of normal consciousness abruptly ends while some kind of experiencing continues. The effect of an abrupt end of normal, subject/object consciousness is the dissolution of all discreet things into oneness and the abolition of the psychological self.

It seems most likely to me that it's an effect of how the brain sometimes functions.

There seems to be at least one other possible origin for god(s) -- the preternatural Agency Jay mentions in post # 11. So, you might have a mystical origin for some concepts of god in the abrupt end of subject/object perception, and a non-mystical origin for other concepts of deity in a sense of preternatural Agency. Of course, historically, the concepts and definitions we have of god often enough seem to owe something to both sources.

Of course, I am not defining god here, but rather looking at god as a most likely psychological phenomena out of which concepts and definitions of god might arise.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Almighty.

That is...bigger, faster, stronger, more intelligent and greatly experienced.

Cannot be pushed aside, out maneuvered, subdued, tricked or cheated.

Coupled with the power of creation......God.

It seems to me this almost begs us to go one step further and add a white beard, glowing robe and sandals to the definition.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
To me, a god is an intelligent entity that is capable of shifting paradigms, creating, destroying, transforming and reforming.

Going by that definition, all humans are gods.

roger1440

I do stuff
This is something I've struggled with for awhile. In my experience, I've come across so many different definitions of what makes a deity, that I'm just not sure if there is a single working definition that can be agreed on.

So, what traits, to you, are required for something to be a god or goddess? What criteria must be met? Please explain why, and what something would be if they met some but not all of those traits.
author

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I define God as The All-in-all, but also beyond all.
The Breath behind the breath. The Heartbeat behind the heartbeat. The Stage, the actors, the script, the play, and the audience. Parent, child, friend, spouse. Bliss, true Consciousness.
The root, core, trunk of all that exists. The one without a second.

nerox

"I come in peace"
God is who created the universe and everything else either direct creation out of nothing or indirect creation out of things that he directly created. He is one, uncreated, everlasting, almighty and most important, having control of everything and anything.