• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Define a "God"?

HexBomb

This is something I've struggled with for awhile. In my experience, I've come across so many different definitions of what makes a deity, that I'm just not sure if there is a single working definition that can be agreed on.

So, what traits, to you, are required for something to be a god or goddess? What criteria must be met? Please explain why, and what something would be if they met some but not all of those traits.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Pretty good question. The one attribute that I think a god would need to have would be a will of some kind.

Beyond that, it seems that everyone has its own ideas. And I don't think everyone agrees with me that a god must have a will, either.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
- Free will
- ability to manipulate the natural world beyond what non-gods can do
- existed before the universe or can exist without the universe / physical

I'll come back with more

Tumah

Veteran Member
My understanding of the Biblical word for god, means "power" or maybe "force". Many pantheons may best be described as forces of nature that are imbued (by man) with a sense of self. Maybe that is my definition of a god. A force that has self-identity, and is worshiped.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
When we understand things they are subordinate to us. God is that which is beyond comprehension. God is truth.

HexBomb

- ability to manipulate the natural world beyond what non-gods can do

So to you, are there greater and lesser gods?

- existed before the universe or can exist without the universe / physical

So would you consider something that came into existence after or with the universe to not be a god?

A force that has self-identity, and is worshiped.

So if something ceases to be worshiped, it ceases to be a god? Like Tinkerbell in Peter Pan?

Premium Member
Quick disclaimer: I'm agnostic, this is theoretical.

So to you, are there greater and lesser gods?

I'd say it's possible. I've always been more drawn to Ancient Egyptian religion than anything so I'd probably take that route.

So would you consider something that came into existence after or with the universe to not be a god?

This is what I tried to clarify by adding that they can exist without the physical - maybe lesser gods came later but are still technically gods.

So if something ceases to be worshiped, it ceases to be a god? Like Tinkerbell in Peter Pan?

I don't think I said this, but I disagree with it. If gods exist, whether they are worshiped or even known about is irrelevant.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This is something I've struggled with for awhile. In my experience, I've come across so many different definitions of what makes a deity, that I'm just not sure if there is a single working definition that can be agreed on.
I would define God as preternatural Agency. Anything beyond that would almost certainly fall into the category of anthropomorphic speculation.

HexBomb

I suppose my angle of this comes from beliefs I've encountered, my family never considered the Fair Folk to be gods, but when I met Celtic reconstructionists, they considered them to be gods, which for me raises all sorts of questions about the nature of gods.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Almighty.

That is...bigger, faster, stronger, more intelligent and greatly experienced.

Cannot be pushed aside, out maneuvered, subdued, tricked or cheated.

Coupled with the power of creation......God.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
For me, "God" is something which is greater then oneself and gives a person a sense of awe and wonder.

It can range from the monotheistic god of Abraham, nature, spirits, the prime mover, collective human kindness, or even the universe itself.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

So, what traits, to you, are required for something to be a god or goddess? What criteria must be met? Please explain why, and what something would be if they met some but not all of those traits.

The improper wisdom coming from awareness of God's presence, a universally agreed high value, the Orderer of things... and that to me makes God not just the orderer of things, but the things themselves.

Premium Member
Almighty.

That is...bigger, faster, stronger, more intelligent and greatly experienced.

Cannot be pushed aside, out maneuvered, subdued, tricked or cheated.

Coupled with the power of creation......God.

This could describe my engineering friend who works out.

brokensymmetry

ground state

As far as a working definition goes I'd say something like, God is the omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent creator of all things that could possibly be created.