• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you exactly define 'free will'?

Blackmarch

W'rkncacntr
apologies for the time passed in response, but as it's the holiday season my internet access is extremely limited.
Why do we have this ability?

We evolved cognition and the ability to use it, why did it evolve? more or because of various sequence of events, pressures, influences etc over time caused it to become a strong trait.. why did that happen? Cause someone decided to influence events over time.

why is this how I see it? because it's what makes most sense to me.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
We cannot define free will as long as we believe we are the mind body organism, this is because while we believe we are the mind body organism, we are imprisoned with this delusion, and while we are imprisoned we will always be clinging to what we believe we are.

To be free is to be without any clinging, and without clinging we can be who we truly are, that is we can be our true nature, our true being, but we must drop all clinging, and also beliefs, no matter where they came from.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
We cannot define free will as long as we believe we are the mind body organism, this is because while we believe we are the mind body organism, we are imprisoned with this delusion, and while we are imprisoned we will always be clinging to what we believe we are.

To be free is to be without any clinging, and without clinging we can be who we truly are, that is we can be our true nature, our true being, but we must drop all clinging, and also beliefs, no matter where they came from.

Really? So how do you know this, being that you are the one saying it, makes no sense. Or not the one saying this? Are you saying this, or not saying this? if your not you, who are you?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Really? So how do you know this, being that you are the one saying it, makes no sense. Or not the one saying this? Are you saying this, or not saying this? if your not you, who are you?
I am you as you are me, I have experienced our oneness, even though there was no one to experience this ones. I share from this oneness, if you agree or not, it doesn't bother me one bit, its just simply compassion that I share.

ImaTroll

And do you think that we're entitled for such privilege (whatever)?
here are some simple examples of free will:

when you drive your car to a destination, you choose several times whether to turn the steering wheel right or left and whether to accelerate or break. if you make the wrong choices, you may be penalized by a police officer.

or for example, let's say that you're speeding 10 miles over the speed limit, thereby getting pulled over by the police officer. then the police officer asks 'why were you speeding?'. your answer is 'because i don't have free will'.

these are basic examples of free will.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
here are some simple examples of free will:

when you drive your car to a destination, you choose several times whether to turn the steering wheel right or left and whether to accelerate or break. if you make the wrong choices, you may be penalized by a police officer.

or for example, let's say that you're speeding 10 miles over the speed limit, thereby getting pulled over by the police officer. then the police officer asks 'why were you speeding?'. your answer is 'because i don't have free will'.

these are basic examples of free will.
The best examples lie in the decisions we make every single moment.