• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you exactly define 'free will'?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Time is a measurement of what? How is it an illusion? Do you know what spacetime is? Movement is "real enough"?

Time is a measurement of change.

spacetime would be using the change of one thing (time) to measure the change in another (space). Movement is a change of space. Velocity, the rate of positional change relative to the change in whatever is being used to measure time.

I'd suspect to God, spacetime is as much of an illusion as is free will. To human beings, it's the reality of our perception.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think you'll find that definition circular if you simply ask yourself, "What is change?"

With regard to time it can be as simple as the revolution of the earth (day). Or the period the earth revolves around the Sun (year). Anything which has a relatively stable frequency can be used for time. And yes I suppose the motion of both examples given are circular. :)

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Again I mostly agree. However the "illusion" is our reality. Including the free will and space/time relationship.

Perception is our reality as a human being. Illusion or not. So we explore and explain the illusion. Because we rely on perception there is no precision in the explanations we come up with. What is important from the viewpoint as human is that the explanation about the reality we perceive is accurate enough to be successful.

Free will may not be the "true" reality but it is our reality.

People want precision, they are likely to end up thinking themselves into a corner. It's really only important that their thinking allows them to be successful.

Fatalism and determinism, there is no benefit to either belief. The truth of either is immaterial to being human. If our reality is illusion then illusion is our reality. To create and succeed is the only game. The true mechanics maybe forever beyond the reach of human beings.

I agree. Our perception of reality serves God's purpose. Even acknowledging that my independence is an illusion, I am still bound to it.

Sleeppy

Time is a measurement of change.

spacetime would be using the change of one thing (time) to measure the change in another (space). Movement is a change of space. Velocity, the rate of positional change relative to the change in whatever is being used to measure time.

I'd suspect to God, spacetime is as much of an illusion as is free will. To human beings, it's the reality of our perception.

Thief has his own way of expressing himself.. I'm asking for his specific understanding and expression, so that we're on the same page.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Thief has his own way of expressing himself.. I'm asking for his specific understanding and expression, so that we're on the same page.

The post was mostly for my own benefit with regard to your interesting question. Helps me to see my own thoughts written down. Helps even more when others take the time to criticize them.

Sleeppy

The post was mostly for my own benefit with regard to your interesting question. Helps me to see my own thoughts written down. Helps even more when others take the time to criticize them.

I'm the same way.. I'm sure Einstein would approve. Time is relative.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
And do you think that we're entitled for such privilege (whatever)?

I think the universe was created (if there is a God) for the sole purpose of spawning self-aware creatures with free will. What else couldn't God do instantly instead of putting up a firewall 14 billion years away?

Free will is the ability to choose between right and wrong brought about by our inherent understanding of what it's like to be in another's shoes. All morality between adults is simple, and enabled by our full self-awareness.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Here it comes.....time does not exist.
It is not a force.
It is not a substance.

Just an a quotient on a chalkboard.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The arrow of time is a phrase.......used to talk about the idea.....

YEP!...it's all in your head.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There is no "in your head" that isn't also "outside your head."

Won't follow your discussion under that line drawn.
Reality was here....before my head.
If heaven says....off with his head.....reality will go on without me.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Won't follow your discussion under that line drawn.
Reality was here....before my head.
If heaven says....off with his head.....reality will go on without me.
The reality that was here before your head was here wasn't here before your head. But no worries if you don't want to pursue it.