• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you exactly define 'free will'?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Either that process has random elements or it does not.

If it does, then the randomness (which is not will) Is the part that varies the outcome. If it does not then the outcome is entirely the result of the conditions.

"
unnecessary" is a nonsensical word. Something cannot be absolutely necessary... it can only be relatively necessary.

The brain has developed the way it has because the developments were beneficial to the likelihood of reproduction.

A tautological assertion is self-referencially true. Sometimes referred to as a "truism".

My claim on free will "It either has random elements or does not", or the inverse "It is either determined by the state of everything or it is not", is a tautology.

That is only relevant to the definition of free will you use, used by the philosophy of determinism. It seems obvious to me that a human being has a lot more complexity then the philosophy allows for. However the definition, though a bit ambiguous, is what it is. The discussion so far is if there is a disagreement about "free will", refer to the definition.

So, the definition of free will according to determinism is is self-referencially true.

It's not what I'd call free will and I suppose you wouldn't call it that either since it refers to something which according to the claim doesn't exist. Kind of a odd discussion but whatever.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If you believe that green trolls with snotty noses exist, and someone told you they don't, would you persist in making an argument based on the premise that they do?

Have a nice day.

Certainly if I saw green trolls with snotty noses running *about* and I had the expectation that any rational person could make the same observation for themselves.

It seems obviously that we go through a process of making a choice. Whether illusion of not, I'd think any human being would be self-aware of the process of making a decision. You don't accept the obvious because of the definition of free will provided by the philosophy of determinism. Ok, the free will defined by determinism doesn't exist. However I don't see that it affect in any significant way the ability of a human being to make a choice between alternate futures.

Like defining "free will" as green trolls with snotty noses and then saying it should be obvious to anyone they don't exist. Therefore choice is an illusion.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
How do you figure that indeterminism is randomness, or that compatibilism equivocates?

You may want to check out those links.

Actually I'm not an advocate of either really.

My point is that an agent, conscious human being, is an independent self-contained process. Since we don't fully know at this point the internal workings, a box box. There is inputs and outputs. Because such an agent is a "black box" the outputs are not determined. Whatever processes used, whatever they may be are unique to each agent.

Lets said the brain is capable of randomness. This is still internal to the agent. Not something that occurs externally. So something, a process/tool usable by the agent to make a determination of their will.

Like being indecisive between chocolate and vanilla cake. So just make a random selection. Once the selection is made then my will is determined. My will was not determined before this random, internal process. The future was not determined before this random process because my will was not determined.

So randomness determined my choice. I can make a choice which was not determined by a chain of event which occurred prior to the choosing process. After the choosing (by random process) my will is now set to get "chocolate" lets say. According to how I define free will, it's whether I can get the chocolate cake according to my will which was internally determined by an random process.

I'm sure this is not compatibilism. Indeterminism perhaps. I'll have to look into the philosophy a bit more.

Right now I'm thinking both determinism and compatibilism cheese out of the question of free will through the use of contrived definitions. Though I kind of agree with compatibilism that choice and free will are not bound together. It still supports a determined future.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Random is suppose to include at least one repeated and predictable pattern.

The flight of the dandelion seed is random.
That you get more dandelions is predictable.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why? I think random can mean a single, seemingly arbitrary and unpredictable event, or a single uncaused event.

Nope....saw the science documentary several years ago.
'Random' events have been regrouped and are now a matter of study.
The discipline is a science unto itself.....Chaos.

A singular event might be called an accident.

All events are caused.
We might be at a loss to say what happened.....but as long as it did....
something made it happen.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Like being indecisive between chocolate and vanilla cake. So just make a random selection. Once the selection is made then my will is determined. My will was not determined before this random, internal process. The future was not determined before this random process because my will was not determined.
That differs from my idea of will, which is anything but accidental.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Nope....saw the science documentary several years ago.
'Random' events have been regrouped and are now a matter of study.
The discipline is a science unto itself.....Chaos.
So what? How does this bear on my assertion that a singular event can be random?

A singular event might be called an accident.
Okay.
shrug.gif

All events are caused.
Not according to the standard interpretation of quantum mechanics. One source explains . . . .

"It took a while, but hidden variable theory was eventually disproved by John Bell, who showed that there are lots of experiments that cannot have unmeasured results. Thus the results cannot be determined ahead of time, so there are no hidden variables, and the results are truly random. That is, if it is physically and mathematically impossible to predict the results, then the results are truly, fundamentally random."
source

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That differs from my idea of will, which is anything but accidental.

What is your idea of will?

I see will as the power of a individual to control their own actions. I see lots of way to go about doing this.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What is your idea of will?

I see will as the power of a individual to control their own actions. I see lots of way to go about doing this.
Things about which we are unconscious are not in our control. When I reach out and pick up a cup of coffee, lift it to my lips and take a sip, that is will.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So what? How does this bear on my assertion that a singular event can be random?

Okay.
shrug.gif

Not according to the standard interpretation of quantum mechanics. One source explains . . . .

"It took a while, but hidden variable theory was eventually disproved by John Bell, who showed that there are lots of experiments that cannot have unmeasured results. Thus the results cannot be determined ahead of time, so there are no hidden variables, and the results are truly random. That is, if it is physically and mathematically impossible to predict the results, then the results are truly, fundamentally random."
source

So you prefer experimentation of which the results are not chained to the experiment.

If you cast aside the relationship...cause to effect....you can prove nothing.

Might as well believe in unicorns!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Things about which we are unconscious are not in our control. When I reach out and pick up a cup of coffee, lift it to my lips and take a sip, that is will.

And sometimes a lot of freewill must be applied.
Try drinking my coffee!
My coffee is sooooooo stong!
(see thread, same title)

J

johnpeter1970

FREE Will is: you do what you want (doesn't matter if it is your idea or someone's else). What you sow, you reap.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
FREE Will is: you do what you want (doesn't matter if it is your idea or someone's else). What you sow, you reap.

I usually say as much, but with different words.
If your hand does anything at all.....you thought you should.....or you felt like it.

Consequence follows every effort.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
And sometimes a lot of freewill must be applied.
Try drinking my coffee!
My coffee is sooooooo stong!
(see thread, same title)
Free will is not applied, it's not synonymous with controlling, the verb. It is more synonymous with being in control, the state. It is 'you' owning actions that are 'yours.' Each instance of ownership is the result of a 'decision': I drank from the cup, that was me that did that.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Free will is not applied, it's not synonymous with controlling, the verb. It is more synonymous with being in control, the state. It is 'you' owning actions that are 'yours.' Each instance of ownership is the result of a 'decision': I drank from the cup, that was me that did that.

Ok, I think, again this is a personal view, that will requires a conscious element. I do a lot of things during the day that are responses or maybe muscle memory. Like drinking from a cup.

This idea of will, I think, is more a matter of causality which supports the belief in determinism more than the ability of making a choice.

But perhaps I'll think about it. Choice is separate from will. So maybe I'll need to review the definitions.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Ok, I think, again this is a personal view, that will requires a conscious element. I do a lot of things during the day that are responses or maybe muscle memory. Like drinking from a cup.
But muscle memory things are those that you can dismiss ownership of. I didn't do that, that wasn't me.