• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does homosexual activity benefit society?

CynthiaCypher

I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with you, but I believe that adults should be able to make their own decisions based upon their religious convictions and I think it possible for someone to do so without regret.

They may be making a decision based on religious belief, but what they are not making is a informed decision based on reason and science.

Reparative therapy is a pseudo-science and some in the APA believe that it may actually cause trauma.

Also this form of "treatment" isn't just prescribe to adults. Some parents of gay children force their kids to go through it and that can be harmful.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
They may be making a decision based on religious belief, but what they are not making is a informed decision based on reason and science.

Reparative therapy is a pseudo-science and some in the APA believe that it may actually cause trauma.

Also this form of "treatment" isn't just prescribe to adults. Some parents of gay children force their kids to go through it and that can be harmful.

I didn't say that I was a fan of it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
:shrug:

If someone enters such therapy by personal choice because they feel inclined to do so, are the reasons behind their decision our business?

Someone could perceive such therapy as a positive.

I think it's as much our business as when someone chooses not to leave their abusive partner because they think they deserve the abuse.

Edit: and I realize that this analogy equates "reparative therapy" with abuse. I think the description fits.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I think it's as much our business as when someone chooses not to leave their abusive partner because they think they deserve the abuse.

Edit: and I realize that this analogy equates "reparative therapy" with abuse. I think the description fits.

What if someone chose reparative therapy because they didn't want to be gay? What if I was a lesbian who wanted a relationship with a man because I wanted marriage and children with a man and didn't care about societal pressures. What if it was a choice that I was making for myself, because I felt like it was something that was right for me.

Would my informed/personal choice be YOUR business in this case?

My point...

Someone could possibly make an educated decision for themselves without feeling helpless and abused by society.

CynthiaCypher

What if someone chose reparative therapy because they didn't want to be gay? What if I was a lesbian who wanted a relationship with a man because I wanted marriage and children with a man and didn't care about societal pressures. What if it was a choice that I was making for myself, because I felt like it was something that was right for me.

My point...

Someone could possibly make an educated decision for themselves without feeling helpless and abused by society.

If someone resort to "reparative therapy" then they are no more making an informed or educated decision than those who chose to treat erectile dysfunction by eating a bear's paw.

Resorting to pseudo-science is never an educated choice.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

My point...

While I think that finding someone like the hypothetical person you describe would be about as likely as finding lips on a chicken, I think such a person, if they actually existed, would be a rare case who wouldn't have a whole lot of bearing on my opinion of "reparative therapy" in general. IMO, the bulk of people in it are either forced or coerced to be in it, or have chosen it because they've been beaten over the head with the idea that homosexuality is wrong all their lives until they believe it themselves.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
If someone resort to "reparative therapy" then they are no more making an informed or educated decision than those who chose to treat erectile dysfunction by eating a bear's paw.

Resorting to pseudo-science is never an educated choice.

It's impossible that someone could request it for themselves because they want it?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
While I think that finding someone like the hypothetical person you describe would be about as likely as finding lips on a chicken, I think such a person, if they actually existed, would be a rare case who wouldn't have a whole lot of bearing on my opinion of "reparative therapy" in general. IMO, the bulk of people in it are either forced or coerced to be in it, or have chosen it because they've been beaten over the head with the idea that homosexuality is wrong all their lives until they believe it themselves.

It's not that I disagree with you and I don't have a high opinion of this therapy.

Just as man would want to transition physically into a woman, as he identifies as a woman mentally and emotionally, I can understand why someone might want to go through such therapy because they've gone through a spiritual transformation and feel it would be positive for them to go through such therapy, as in my example.

I acknowledge the harm and unfairness of our society. But, I see positive purpose for such therapy as well, if it's wanted. I've already stated this, so I won't continue to talk in circles, as I'm sure I'm annoying. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's impossible that someone could request it for themselves because they want it?

It's possible that in clear weather, a talented driver with a very capable car could drive 150 mph on the Interstate without hurting anyone. Should we revise the speed limit?

However, the question's moot anyhow, because it would be impossible for a medical or psychiatric professional to responsibly provide a service that is based on fundamental premises that are known to be false.

Even if individual homosexual people might want "reparative therapy", it would be unethical for anyone to actually provide such a "service", because doing so either involves a psychiatric professional violating the ethical tenets of their profession, or an unqualified person misrepresenting themselves as qualified to provides psychiatric therapy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's not that I disagree with you and I don't have a high opinion of this therapy.

Just as man would want to transition physically into a woman, as he identifies as a woman mentally and emotionally, I can understand why someone might want to go through such therapy because they've gone through a spiritual transformation and feel it would be positive for them to go through such therapy, as in my example.

I acknowledge the harm and unfairness of our society. But, I see positive purpose for such therapy as well, if it's wanted. I've already stated this, so I won't continue to talk in circles, as I'm sure I'm annoying. :)

The thing is that this hypothetical case you keep coming back to is a side issue, IMO.

As an analogy, maybe some people enjoy getting mugged, but they're so rare that they're basically irrelevant in any discussion of the real-world implications of mugging. The case you describe, if it exists at all, is the very thin end of the tail, so I don't think it makes sense to let it wag the dog.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
The thing is that this hypothetical case you keep coming back to is a side issue, IMO.

As an analogy, maybe some people enjoy getting mugged, but they're so rare that they're basically irrelevant in any discussion of the real-world implications of mugging. The case you describe, if it exists at all, is the very thin end of the tail, so I don't think it makes sense to let it wag the dog.

For what it's worth, I wasn't going to talk about it anymore. :)