• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How important is God or Gods in your life?

RestlessSoul

What a crime eh!

I'm also on a motor racing forum and I don't own or drive a race car. I'm also on a carpentry forum yet I'm not a carpenter. I'm also on an American bird watching forum but I don't live in America. So rest easy the internet police must be hot on my trail.

You don’t have to justify yourself, certainly not to me. But you must surely recognise that to the observer, there is a clear disparity between your post, and your being here to post it?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
You don’t have to justify your presence here, certainly not to me. But you must surely recognise that to the observer, there is a clear disparity between your statement and your presence here?

Not at all. Being in a discussion forum that deals with a subject I'm interested in seems fine to me.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
What a crime eh!

I'm also on a motor racing forum and I don't own or drive a race car. I'm also on a carpentry forum yet I'm not a carpenter. I'm also on an American bird watching forum but I don't live in America. So rest easy the internet police must be hot on my trail.

Having one of your previous threads still stuck in my head, I read that as "monitor racing forum".

RestlessSoul

And?

Personally i enjoy talking to religious people trying to understand why they are religious. Very few actually know why. But still i search.

It seems some religious people object to friendly chat.

I have no objection to friendly chat, with atheists or anyone at all. I am curious at to why someone who claims God is of no importance to them at all, would frequent a place like this. But you’ve answered my question now.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have no objection to friendly chat, with atheists or anyone at all. I am curious at to why someone who claims God is of no importance to them at all, would frequent a place like this. But you’ve answered my question now.

There are several reasons, that's just one.

RestlessSoul

There are several reasons, that's just one.

Well I know you’re not here to troll. And I don’t think you’re the fundamentalist type either.

We’re all searching for something anyway, that’s part of being human. For me, that something is God.

RestlessSoul

Because I was born with a hole in my soul, an emptiness I tried to fill with, at different times, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, love, sex, food, money etc. None of these things could satisfy, they just led to more longing, and the booze nearly led me to complete destruction. Turns out the only thing that could fill that hole was a God of my understanding..,

Reactions: DNB

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Because I was born with a hole in my soul, an emptiness I tried to fill with, at different times, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, love, sex, food, money etc. None of these things could satisfy, they just led to more longing, and the booze nearly led me to complete destruction. Turns out the only thing that could fill that hole was a God of my understanding..,

Interesting life, you seem to have a more thought out reason than most, or rather tamed your reasons and replaced them with a god.

But i wonder would maturity not have settled you down just as effectively?

Erebus

How important is God or gods in your life?

From a nature-worship perspective, extremely important. I wouldn't exist if the gods didn't exist.

From a mythological perspective, moderately important. The stories of gods and spirits have been a major source of inspiration throughout my life and have certainly influenced my enjoyment of art.

From a practical perspective, not particularly important. I've largely abandoned ritual in favour of contemplation.

RestlessSoul

Interesting life, you seem to have a more thought out reason than most, or rather tamed your reasons and replaced them with a god.

But i wonder would maturity not have settled you down just as effectively?

My misspent youth continued into my 40s, i think I would have died before I grew out of it.

That was 20 years ago now, and I wouldn’t be here if I hadn’t got clean and sober all those years ago. And I am certain I wouldn’t be clean and sober without God’s help.