• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How important is God or Gods in your life?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
In my life?

Not very.

The first and foremost Hold of Influence in my life is the Self; in my life, I am most important. Each successive Hold extends outward from there.
  1. Self
  2. Spouse
  3. Immediate family
  4. Birth family
  5. Extended family
  6. Community
  7. Society (State/National level)
  8. Global community
  9. The Gods.
The gods do have their High Days, moments in which their influence becomes more immediate and recognition of their passing or precedence is warranted, demanded, or otherwise given. Yet the gods are so above everything that to dwell on them before anyone or anything else hinders social cohesion and human function. I cannot care for myself or my neighbors and our wants and needs if I am constantly distracted by what I think the gods want, think, or say.

Ella S.

God is important to me, but He works through my hands so my effort is just as much.

This is a fantastic way of looking at it, thank you. I caught this post immediately after I had lengthily, silently bemoaned my fate out of frustration.

It often seems to me like fate is going to take me wherever it pleases regardless of what I do. So many of my efforts feel like they're in vain. Life feels utterly hopeless to me. It makes me wonder why I bother trying to do anything with my life if every time I try to do something I end up failing so completely, and if what I want from life could be so easily taken away from me.

What's the point?

The point is that I am still one half of the equation. If I give up, then failure becomes certain. My choices are what makes the outcomes I am looking for possible, even if they aren't a guarantee.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
This is a fantastic way of looking at it, thank you. I caught this post immediately after I had lengthily, silently bemoaned my fate out of frustration.

It often seems to me like fate is going to take me wherever it pleases regardless of what I do. So many of my efforts feel like they're in vain. Life feels utterly hopeless to me. It makes me wonder why I bother trying to do anything with my life if every time I try to do something I end up failing so completely, and if what I want from life could be so easily taken away from me.

What's the point?

The point is that I am still one half of the equation. If I give up, then failure becomes certain. My choices are what makes the outcomes I am looking for possible, even if they aren't a guarantee.

Earlier today I was reading a children's comic book(because children's books are fun :D) featuring Hera. Much of the book also included the tales of Hercules. Riding on the Argo with Jason, he asks why the ship is dedicated to Hera(who has plagued his life with challenge after challenge). Jason expresses his devotion, and points out to a bitter Hercules that had Hera not sent the problems she did, he would have never found his greatness.

Problems suck. And sometimes problems really are too much, and we can't face them, require help, or simply cease to be(such as when a disease overcomes us). But its often in facing controversy that we discover or grow the strongest parts of ourselves...

Eric Hyom

Very important.
In 2011 I had tests done for cancer, about a month later the doctor phoned and said he urgently wanted to see me, it was non – Hodgkin Lymphoma. This was a name I recognised, our friend had this cancer, and died a few months later. Being told I had cancer was out of my hands, there was nothing I could do about it. But I still had choices; I could dictate how the cancer was going to affect my mind and my ability to cope with the news.

A few minutes after putting the phone down; I prayed for the wisdom, strength and peace to do God’s will, whether the cancer was a death sentence, or just an inconvenience. I can only say that from the moment of making this prayer, I have experienced a profound sense of peace that is beyond my understanding, and the thought of cancer has never troubled me for a moment.

I have never once prayed for healing, at the age of 62, the prayer for healing seemed too complicated, it might or might not be my time to go. Recognising this profound sense of peace comes from God, gives me reason to be thankful.

jbg

Very important.
In 2011 I had tests done for cancer, about a month later the doctor phoned and said he urgently wanted to see me, it was non – Hodgkin Lymphoma. This was a name I recognised, our friend had this cancer, and died a few months later. Being told I had cancer was out of my hands, there was nothing I could do about it. But I still had choices; I could dictate how the cancer was going to affect my mind and my ability to cope with the news.

A few minutes after putting the phone down; I prayed for the wisdom, strength and peace to do God’s will, whether the cancer was a death sentence, or just an inconvenience. I can only say that from the moment of making this prayer, I have experienced a profound sense of peace that is beyond my understanding, and the thought of cancer has never troubled me for a moment.

I have never once prayed for healing, at the age of 62, the prayer for healing seemed too complicated, it might or might not be my time to go. Recognising this profound sense of peace comes from God, gives me reason to be thankful.
I'm new here and I don't know if this is the right place for this.

G-d is incorporeal, not being physically apparent anywhere, and yet G-d is everywhere. We are commanded not to "make a graven image." In my first year of religious school, when I was ten, in Academic Year 1967-8, or 5728, it was even discussed that perhaps the Temple and by extension the Tabernacle could be viewed as an attempt to "physical-ize" G-d. Books such as When Bad Things Happen to Good People by Harold S. Kushner, takes the position that G-d is a friend and a support, but since Biblical times has not made a practice in intervening in human affairs. As a Reform Jew, that is essentially what I believe. A phone call with a close friend, Norman, now gives me my doubts.

On December 2, 1967 I was playing ice hockey with Norman and a few other friends. We were ten. That mild day followed an unusually early cold snap. We frankly and obviously should not have been skating. I fell through the ice in the pond. My head dipped under water a few times. What I knew at the time, after I woke up in the hospital, was that my friend's 15 year old brother (maybe 16), Fred and his friend Jay found a greens' rope on the golf course. Jay tied a rope around his waste and Fred guided from the shore, pulling both the rescuer and myself from the icy drink. I did not know that Norman was similarly rescued. I survived and learned a lot about being careful.

What I did not know at the time was that Jay and Fred just "happened upon us." They were not scheduled to be there but just appeared. Being older, stronger and more mature they sprang into action. I always assumed they were skating on the pond, though not with us because normally 16 year olds don't play with 10 year olds. The potential "Hashem" involvement is obvious.

Thoughts?

RestlessSoul

I'm new here and I don't know if this is the right place for this.

G-d is incorporeal, not being physically apparent anywhere, and yet G-d is everywhere. We are commanded not to "make a graven image." In my first year of religious school, when I was ten, in Academic Year 1967-8, or 5728, it was even discussed that perhaps the Temple and by extension the Tabernacle could be viewed as an attempt to "physical-ize" G-d. Books such as When Bad Things Happen to Good People by Harold S. Kushner, takes the position that G-d is a friend and a support, but since Biblical times has not made a practice in intervening in human affairs. As a Reform Jew, that is essentially what I believe. A phone call with a close friend, Norman, now gives me my doubts.

On December 2, 1967 I was playing ice hockey with Norman and a few other friends. We were ten. That mild day followed an unusually early cold snap. We frankly and obviously should not have been skating. I fell through the ice in the pond. My head dipped under water a few times. What I knew at the time, after I woke up in the hospital, was that my friend's 15 year old brother (maybe 16), Fred and his friend Jay found a greens' rope on the golf course. Jay tied a rope around his waste and Fred guided from the shore, pulling both the rescuer and myself from the icy drink. I did not know that Norman was similarly rescued. I survived and learned a lot about being careful.

What I did not know at the time was that Jay and Fred just "happened upon us." They were not scheduled to be there but just appeared. Being older, stronger and more mature they sprang into action. I always assumed they were skating on the pond, though not with us because normally 16 year olds don't play with 10 year olds. The potential "Hashem" involvement is obvious.

Thoughts?

My first thought on reading this was, it wasn’t your time to go. That God has a plan for each of us, and his plan for you did not involve your dying so young.
But obviously some people do die young, and their loved ones suffer terribly; it’s far harder to see the hand of God in tragic circumstances, than in fortuitously happy ones. It requires a profound faith indeed, to accept sorrow and loss as God’s will.

Elihoenai

How important is God or gods in your life?
Job 19:26

26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

Elohim/God is Most Important to Every Person living on the Planet whether they are are Aware of this or Not.

This is because Elohim/God is Flesh, Soul and Spirit and only a handful of People throughout the generations have been Interested in getting past the Flesh.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't usually assign high importance on figures I consider to be imaginary or fictional.

Gods are useful concepts for jokes and stories, but as a part of my life, they have minimal impact.

That said, I like to discuss ideas with people that disagree with me, which is part of why I am on this forum.

Well, that and to get hot chicks! @ChristineM

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
To answer the OP question, I suppose God/gods can be important, but in some things I studied, there is also talk of "becoming your own god" and working past reliance of God/gods. I haven't made my mind up on such a thing. But in any case - the gods have a little importance to me.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Even if I thought that God or Gods actually existed, I'm not sure why they would have much impact on my life. They don't seem to be very interventionist.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
God, the Creator, is very important in my life. I am aware that I’m not an autonomous, self-existent being. My life and existence is dependent upon God. Besides that major fact, God is my Source of love, peace, and joy.

That isn't my take. We all depend on others for our existence. From people who build our houses, to our parents, to those who deliver our food. We are dependent on other people.

I have yet to see any way in which I am dependent on a deity. Many people make the claim, but none support it.

God, the Father, should be the most important thing in everyone's life - for everyone owes Him their life.

I don't. I owe my life to myself. I am the result of actions of my parents. I was raised and educated by those around me.

No deities required as far as I can see.

If a God exists, such a being would be among the *least* important things in my life, except in the ways that believers affect me and mine.