• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is the Bible the Word of God?

outhouse

Atheistically
I'm just going to say, 1robin is providing scholars, books, and more sources overall

Wrong.

he provided a law professor and claimed he was a scholar in error. He used an apologetic source over a hundred years old, by a man with no historical or biblical education.

He also provided 4 or 5 scholars, out of thousands, who hold a minor apologetic opinion, not followed by most.

Anyone can (and does), edit wikipedia.

False. If done so in error, It will be edited to the correct position.

Wiki also sourced their information to a very credible source, on that topic

You would fail in college doing that. At least, my professors would fail you.

They would also fail you, for making comments on topics you may know little about.

Robin gets wiki because it shows the consensus view.

He is also not at a scholarly level of education, and does not know what the consensus even is, nor does he know any scholars view in total.

He knows an apologetic opinion of a few scholars, which is not credible historical speaking.

Relying on it to form an opinion is ignorant.

Its not just that, I also now what professors teach at different universities, that contradict his apologetics.

Wiki is fine for a consensus, as well for people who need an education, who do not possess one. I actually have one. I don't think he does

Anyway, continue on.

No please, step in, and join. Don't just chime in error, and run.

Last edited:

catch22

I'm not running. If you honestly believe anything you just typed in response to me, there's little to talk about.

I'm interested in intellectual debate. Citing Wikipedia is more a contest in google fu - find the first thing that agrees with me and that's good enough. I mean, encyclopedia's in general are looked down upon for forming arguments. Wikipedia is just the worst of them all because there's no intellectual honesty required, and it can change on a whim.

I mean, I have a degree from an accredited University (UC Davis, Anthropology/sociology). And none of my professors ever accepted Wikipedia. I don't know what school you come from, but you show pure ignorance and blindness stating the contrary. "Consensus" view. Like... what? That's exactly why encyclopedia's are looked down upon in scholarly venues to begin with. You can't even rationalize an argument as a consensus view.

Who proposed the consensus view to even agree with? Then you can say "a majority of scholars accept So-And-Sos position." Then you agree with their position, not some invisible consensus.

Do I really I need to teach you how to formulate an argument so I can begin to have one with you?

Robin has the patience, good on him/her. I'm fine with you plugging your ears and humming in the meantime.

outhouse

Atheistically
UC Davis, Anthropology/sociology

40 minutes from my house, nice.

). And none of my professors ever accepted Wikipedia.

Nor did mine, but they did not argue this point either.

They teach the authors are unknown.

I don't know what school you come from

Yale and Harvard

but you show pure ignorance and blindness stating the contrary

Its fine for this debate due to robins possible lack of education

. "Consensus" view. Like... what?

The gospel authors are unknown.

Who proposed the consensus view to even agree with?

Most scholars and universities.

Only apologetics propose the traditional view based on Papias opinion 120 CE ish, who was far removed from the traditional authorship of Mark.

Then you can say "a majority of scholars accept So-And-Sos position." Then you agree with their position, not some invisible consensus.

I know all the different scholars view. Its why I posted wiki that also backs up what is taught in every credible university.

I can post a video of Dale B Martin from Yale on this? I can direct you to a link if you like.

Robin has the patience, good on him/her.

You have more. I doubt you would argue what he is. I think you know better then to be so certain in what you attribute.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Not one aspect you posted showed a biblical or historical education
For the fourth time. He is an expert on testimony and evidence.

Has nothing to do with history, or biblical history

HE IS NOT CREDIBLE, he was apologetically inclined.

I posted people who refuted his apologetic work
He is credible. You are not the one who determines the credibility of a scholar, their credentials are. He is an expert on what the bible contains, testimony and evidence. He in fact wrote the most famous textbook on the subject ever written. That is what the bible is. Testimony. And no one is disqualified for defending a thing. If they were then no one in a field can defend anything in a field. The only people your arbitrary and completely invented criteria would allow to be credible are those that don't believe in it. Quit inventing criteria that do not exist.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Says you.

PROVIDE CREDIBLE SOURCES

You do not get to dictate what is credible and what is not credible.
Neither do you. I knew as soon as you said credible that your were simply going to deny the credibility of anyone who said anything inconvenient for you. Greenleaf's credentials are what determines his credibility, he has them in spades, you do not. The bible does not meet the ancient document requirements because I say so, it does because it meets every single one of them, in fact it actually exceeds them by a wide margin. Would you quit inventing false criteria and using "nu-uhhhh" arguments. This is not a debate, it is a guy yelling at traffic.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
No, it doesn't look like that at all.

What schooling do you have?

What universities have you gone to regarding historical studies?

What university did you study the NT?

What scholarships do you even know?? so far it looks like you don't know a single scholars work in full on these topics
I had the national merit scholarship and went to the same university that Von Braun taught at and which did more to put a man on the moon than anyone but that was not what I was talking about. I said I have provided scholars with more credibility than you have. Your the one who arrogantly claimed to have more education than Greenleaf, I was not talking about my own credentials. That claim you made was so absurdly arrogant I almost ended this debate then and there. If you do not pick it up, and stop trying to deny reality and substitute one more convenient for you I can't justify this. Your not having a debate you making personal commentaries.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Then provide credible sources.

Because your opinion is not refuting the credible sources I provided.

Testimony of the Evangelists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is an 1846 Christian apologetic work

Greenleaf submits as eyewitness testimony is technically hearsay

the criteria for the "ancient documents rule" is not met by the gospel documents and that the force of Greenleaf's argument is thereby undermined.

It is old apologetic outdated work, that was based on severe ignorance of historical and biblical study.

He is an embarrassment to any modern credible scholarship.
That is it, I am out. Your just denying anything you find convenient by any criteria you can dream up. You obviously know little about this subject but are emotionally committed to a position that you can back up. I was pretty sure we were going to wind up here before we got started. Guess I never learn. I will leave you with it here.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I don't see how vicarious sacrifice of an innocent for the faults of others qualifies as moral excellence. The fact that it was not a real sacrifice makes it even more unjustifiable.

For starter, it is not accepted by any decent legal system I am aware of. Would you approve a legal system that lets a willing innocent being executed in lieu of the murderer?

Ciao

- viole
It is not this world's legal system. The bible says over and over God's ways are not our ways. What the world's legal system does or does not do is not the judge of anything. It is a moral principle, one that is so obvious it is virtually universal. We take self sacrifice as the highest virtue possible. It has been used by systems much larger than any legal system. What is a draft or an army but a chosen few who risk death to save the rest of us? It does not matter if we act the same, but in this case the principle is so intuitive we do share in valuing it the same way, in many cases. Many of our museums, or medals, and our favorite hero's are those who suffer and die for the benefit of others. It is probably the greatest archetype of hero we have, and note these hero's are often worshipped even though they never saved an entire world and were never completely innocent themselves. I guarantee that in many contexts even you would hold self sacrifice as a great virtue. BTW my quotes were not specifically about his substitutionary death but more generally about his moral teachings and example. I don't know why you only picked a single act out of the three years of the greatest moral career in human history. Heck even those who don't believe Christ was divine agree he was the greatest moral example we have ever had.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I don't see how spontaneous symmetry breaking defeats my determinism. Considering that I hold true one of the deterministic interpretations of QM, I am still in the game. At least as long as they are not proven definetely incorrect.

Ciao

- viole
When you allow that things not demonstrably impossible contend with things that have no exception then your always in the game, if this is one of those liberal games where no score is kept and everyone gets a trophy.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You confuse fantasy land with our current models. The same models that have been used by Vilenkin to prove your beloved theorem. I could you use your same arguments to dismiss them as fantasy land as well.
I am not sure what you referring to here. The only models used in Vilenkin's theorem are of the actual universe we known exists and have a lot of evidence behind them. In fact all the evidence behind them.

And no, i do not mean a cross section of a cilinder. A whole cilinder is flat. A torus (donut) is flat too. I think you are appealing to your intuition of flatness as it is represented by a flat plane. Flat is what can be obtained by a flat sheet of paper (by rolling it for instance) without creating wrinkles. You cannot do that with a sphere, for instance, which makes us rule out that the universe is spherical (according to evidence of the large scale flatness of the universe).
First off all I did not mean the cross section of a cylinder, I meant that the sphere is sometimes represented on cross section by a tube. Second a cylinder is not flat. It is an outer ring formed by an equation which defines a circle and an inner with the same result and a height. It is by definition curved and not flat.

And yes, some of these flat surfaces, the three dimensional version thereof, agree with evidence. We do not know which one is the true one. Unless, of course, we can use personal interviews with God or your personal intuition as evidence of truth :).
I am not sure we are having the same conversation. Some of what are flat? Flat things have only two dimensions not three.

Your preference of the finite ones is not justified by any theory nor observation I am aware of. But I am open to change my mind.
Preference for the finite what's? I don't have any idea what your talking about.

Do you have some well consolidated theory that contradicts me?including Big Bang cosmology, of course. I seriously hope you find cosmology less boring than evolution, lol.
You did not eat any suspicious mushrooms before this post did you? I don't know what your talking about.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
It is not this world's legal system. The bible says over and over God's ways are not our ways. What the world's legal system does or does not do is not the judge of anything. It is a moral principle, one that is so obvious it is virtually universal. We take self sacrifice as the highest virtue possible. It has been used by systems much larger than any legal system. What is a draft or an army but a chosen few who risk death to save the rest of us? It does not matter if we act the same, but in this case the principle is so intuitive we do share in valuing it the same way, in many cases. Many of our museums, or medals, and our favorite hero's are those who suffer and die for the benefit of others. It is probably the greatest archetype of hero we have, and note these hero's are often worshipped even though they never saved an entire world and were never completely innocent themselves. I guarantee that in many contexts even you would hold self sacrifice as a great virtue. BTW my quotes were not specifically about his substitutionary death but more generally about his moral teachings and example. I don't know why you only picked a single act out of the three years of the greatest moral career in human history. Heck even those who don't believe Christ was divine agree he was the greatest moral example we have ever had.

Your analogy with the heroes is not correct, i think. We are not talking of sacrificing oneselves for things like country, liberty, our kids, the weak, etc.

I am asking if the proposition: "an innocent can pay the debt of the guilty and set him free", is morally acceptable. What does your objective source of morality tell you? Would you or would you not accept that a willing innocent sets a convict murderer free by being executed at his place (especially if he knew that he will magically be alive and kicking after three days) ?

And saying that God's ways are not our ways, is not very helpful. For starters He is either a bad role model, or I cannot really say which part in the Bible we should follow or not. In fact, .I could dismiss any claim of God's given morality because of this. Yeah, yeah, let Him speak, His ways are not ours. :)

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
When you allow that things not demonstrably impossible contend with things that have no exception then your always in the game, if this is one of those liberal games where no score is kept and everyone gets a trophy.

I was talking of spontaneous symmetry breaking and quantum mechanics, and how 50% of QM interpretations are still deterministic (as yourself claimed).

What do you mean, in this context, with things that have no exceptions?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I am not sure what you referring to here. The only models used in Vilenkin's theorem are of the actual universe we known exists and have a lot of evidence behind them. In fact all the evidence behind them.

The models used by Vilenkin are

1) general theory of relativity. The classical version, no QM.
2) inflationary physics

We can go through the mathematicl deduction and the premises if you want. I hope you agree that it is, like all theorems, a mathematical deduction based on some premises.

Do you agree on those premises as being a correct representation of reality?

First off all I did not mean the cross section of a cylinder, I meant that the sphere is sometimes represented on cross section by a tube. Second a cylinder is not flat. It is an outer ring formed by an equation which defines a circle and an inner with the same result and a height. It is by definition curved and not flat.

Oh dear, I meant Gaussian flat, of course. The measure of flatness that it is used in relativistic cosmology, obviously.

Chapter 3: Section 8: Part 3: Gaussian Curvature

I am not sure we are having the same conversation. Some of what are flat? Flat things have only two dimensions not three.

Dear not existing entity. Who am I talking to?

What Do You Mean, The Universe Is Flat?, Part 1 | Degrees of Freedom, Scientific American Blog Network

Sure about that math degree of yours? ;)

Preference for the finite what's? I don't have any idea what your talking about.

Well, since we do not know whether the Universe is finite or infinite, your obsession of it being finite might indicate that you have some sort of bias or knowledge nobody else possesses.

You did not eat any suspicious mushrooms before this post did you? I don't know what your talking about.

Nope. i am just asking whether you have some external evidence or links that show that our current popular models entail a finite universe.

I hope I will not have to wait as long as your alleged evidence of life not originating from a common ancestor.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Glad to hear from you, I thought you might have been offended by my asking if you cared if I asked another poster gave his experience on the born again issue.

Let me ask you two things. Many of my questions you do not answer and points you do not respond to at all but please answer these. Which of these contentions are you making?

1. That I have misjudged you and that you are actually born again?
2. Or that I have misjudged Christianity and that you are a Christian despite not having been born again?
3. Or that it does not matter because you have found an alternative way to God and so it does not matter what Christ did or did not say?

I really need a specific answer to this. Not some "middle way" answer from oriental philosophy.
Please do be specific.

Ok, now as to your request. What you asked is not something I can prove from my own personal views objectively. I can only show you that the bible is extremely reliable, especially concerning core doctrine. That that core doctrine includes extremely exclusive claims by Christ as to being the only way and hat way to being the been again experiences. My "proof" will only be as good as his words are reliable. Among the things I can prove are that no known natural infinites exist, oriental philosophy is untrue in most cases, the textual integrity of the bible is greater than any other work in ancient history by an extreme margin, that objective moral duties and values exist if God odes, that abortion is unjustifiable, that inherent rights only exist if God does, etc.......... and things of this nature. I never have and hope I never even mistakenly claim to be able to prove everything.

Theological, historical, and many other types of claims are never argued to a certainty. They are resolved to a probability. Actually faith does not even have that burden, I am intellectually justified in having faith in anything that lacks a defeater but I generally assume the burden of probability for my claims, unless I specifically claim to be able to prove something. That is not to say I don't know your wrong or right about something but that something may not be objectively provable.

So you cannot demand I prove anything I did not claim to be able to, or you should not do so anyway. You can only demand I make the cases I say I can make to the extent I claim to able to. So what did I claim to be able to prove that you claim I have not done so?
1. It's none of your business, but I guess I'll answer. Not by the definition you seem to adhere to, but yes, I would consider myself to have been "born again" in the teachings of Christ (and Science, Philosophy, Theology, etc.) through my refacination with them. I do not believe that this is a prerequisite for salvation, as I believe that would be extremely cruel of God. Just think of a young boy growing up in a household that teaches him every day to hate Christianity sice birth. To expect that child to embrace Christianity or be sent to hell is just about the most evil notion I have ever heard of.
2. I think that you have a very inaccurate view of Christianity and its requirements, both in defining the term and what must be adhered to in order to be considered Christian. To me, a Christian is simply one who believes that Jesus is divine and tries to follow his teachings.
3. I think it is pretty easy to discern what Jesus did and did not say from historical study and looking at the interests of the early Church. I do know for certain that you and every other human being are in no way more in tune with the will of God, and, as a result, should not consider themselves to be an authority on the subject. The same reasoning goes for the Gospels, which, I believe, must be viewed skeptically.

Is that specific enough?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So, i can be a compatibilist and a (physical) determinist at the same time. Cool.
That is the position yes.

Now then, the question reduces to: considering that compatibilism is not a metaphysical position, do you think that compatibilists (like Sean Carroll) believe that our free will trascends physics and the natural, unconscious mechanisms, that led to intentional agents?
Hold the phone a minute. That is the secular assumption given that world view. IOW it is not really a deduction it is the default assumption, but that is what secular compatibilists hold with. I do not grant that assumption but I can work with the theory either way. I don't know what Carol says about compatibilist, I know him from cosmological debates. They are where I grant him credibility from. I don't know his free will argument. There is another very good atheist debater that does specialize in moral arguments. His name is Shelly Kagan, but none of these guys know anything about where freewill comes from, they just assume it involves no supernatural agents because they don't exist in their world views. I don't think they have any arguments for that conclusion (at least I have never heard one) so I can't evaluate them. So I do not think they think the transcendent is necessary but don't know why not. BTW I was not even making any argument that it does. I was simply saying determinism is not a stand alone explanation for reality.

In other words: do you think that compatibilism entails dualism or some sort of non physicalism?
I would think so but I would hard pressed to make a good argument for that. I was merely showing freewill obviously exists.

If not, then we might be in business. If yes then I would like you to post (philosophical) evidence that it is indeed the case that compatibilism entails mechanisms that trascend physics and strict naturalism.
Ok, I deny determinism alone explains reality whether or not freewill requires the transcendent or not. Agreed?

Good place for another Chesterton quote:

Materialists and madmen never have doubts. Spiritual doctrines do not actually limit the mind as do
materialistic denials. Even if I believe in immortality I need not think about it. But if I disbelieve in immortality I must not think about it. In the first case the road is open and I can go as far as I like; in the second the road is shut. But the case is even stronger, and the parallel with madness is yet more strange. For it was our case against the exhaustive and logical theory of the lunatic that, right or wrong, it gradually destroyed his humanity. Now it is the charge against the main deductions of the materialist that, right or wrong, they gradually destroy his humanity; I do not mean only kindness, I mean hope, courage, poetry, initiative, all that is human. For instance, when materialism leads men to complete fatalism (as it
generally does), it is quite idle to pretend that it is in any sense a liberating force. It is absurd to say that you are especially advancing freedom when you only use free thought to destroy free will. The determinists come to bind, not to loose. They may well call their law the "chain" of causation. It is the worst chain that ever fettered a human being. You may use the language of liberty, if you like, about materialistic teaching, but it is obvious that this is just as inapplicable to it as a whole as the same language when applied to a man locked up in a mad-house. You may say, if you like, that the man is free to think himself a poached egg. But it is surely a more massive and important fact that if he is a poached egg he is not free to eat, drink, sleep, walk, or smoke a cigarette.

Similarly you may say, if you like, that the bold determinist speculator is free to disbelieve in the reality of the will. But it is a much more massive and important fact that he is not free to raise, to curse, to thank, to justify, to urge, to punish, to resist temptations, to incite mobs, to make New Year resolutions, to pardon sinners, to rebuke tyrants, or even to say "thank you" for the mustard.

In passing from this subject I may note that there is a queer fallacy to the effect that materialistic fatalism is in some way favorable to mercy, to the abolition of cruel punishments or punishments of any kind. This is startlingly the reverse of the truth. It is quite tenable that the doctrine of necessity makes no difference
at all; that it leaves the flogger flogging and the kind friend exhorting as before. But obviously if it stops either of them it stops the kind exhortation. That the sins are inevitable does not prevent punishment; if it prevents anything it prevents persuasion. Determinism is quite as likely to lead to cruelty as it is certain to lead to cowardice. Determinism is not inconsistent with the cruel treatment of criminals. What it is (perhaps) inconsistent with is the generous treatment of criminals; with any appeal to their better feelings or encouragement in their moral struggle. The determinist does not believe in appealing to the will, but he does believe in changing the environment. He must not say to the sinner, "Go and sin no more," because the sinner cannot help it. But he can put him in boiling oil; for boiling oil is an environment. Considered as a figure, therefore, the materialist has the fantastic outline of the figure of the madman. Both take up a position at once unanswerable and intolerable.

Chesterton - Orthodoxy

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That is the position yes.

Hold the phone a minute. That is the secular assumption given that world view. IOW it is not really a deduction it is the default assumption, but that is what secular compatibilists hold with. I do not grant that assumption but I can work with the theory either way. I don't know what Carol says about compatibilist, I know him from cosmological debates. They are where I grant him credibility from. I don't know his free will argument. There is another very good atheist debater that does specialize in moral arguments. His name is Shelly Kagan, but none of these guys know anything about where freewill comes from, they just assume it involves no supernatural agents because they don't exist in their world views. I don't think they have any arguments for that conclusion (at least I have never heard one) so I can't evaluate them. So I do not think they think the transcendent is necessary but don't know why not. BTW I was not even making any argument that it does. I was simply saying determinism is not a stand alone explanation for reality.

I would think so but I would hard pressed to make a good argument for that. I was merely showing freewill obviously exists.

Ok, I deny determinism alone explains reality whether or not freewill requires the transcendent or not. Agreed?

Good place for another Chesterton quote:

Materialists and madmen never have doubts. Spiritual doctrines do not actually limit the mind as do
materialistic denials. Even if I believe in immortality I need not think about it. But if I disbelieve in immortality I must not think about it. In the first case the road is open and I can go as far as I like; in the second the road is shut. But the case is even stronger, and the parallel with madness is yet more strange. For it was our case against the exhaustive and logical theory of the lunatic that, right or wrong, it gradually destroyed his humanity. Now it is the charge against the main deductions of the materialist that, right or wrong, they gradually destroy his humanity; I do not mean only kindness, I mean hope, courage, poetry, initiative, all that is human. For instance, when materialism leads men to complete fatalism (as it
generally does), it is quite idle to pretend that it is in any sense a liberating force. It is absurd to say that you are especially advancing freedom when you only use free thought to destroy free will. The determinists come to bind, not to loose. They may well call their law the "chain" of causation. It is the worst chain that ever fettered a human being. You may use the language of liberty, if you like, about materialistic teaching, but it is obvious that this is just as inapplicable to it as a whole as the same language when applied to a man locked up in a mad-house. You may say, if you like, that the man is free to think himself a poached egg. But it is surely a more massive and important fact that if he is a poached egg he is not free to eat, drink, sleep, walk, or smoke a cigarette.

Similarly you may say, if you like, that the bold determinist speculator is free to disbelieve in the reality of the will. But it is a much more massive and important fact that he is not free to raise, to curse, to thank, to justify, to urge, to punish, to resist temptations, to incite mobs, to make New Year resolutions, to pardon sinners, to rebuke tyrants, or even to say "thank you" for the mustard.

In passing from this subject I may note that there is a queer fallacy to the effect that materialistic fatalism is in some way favorable to mercy, to the abolition of cruel punishments or punishments of any kind. This is startlingly the reverse of the truth. It is quite tenable that the doctrine of necessity makes no difference
at all; that it leaves the flogger flogging and the kind friend exhorting as before. But obviously if it stops either of them it stops the kind exhortation. That the sins are inevitable does not prevent punishment; if it prevents anything it prevents persuasion. Determinism is quite as likely to lead to cruelty as it is certain to lead to cowardice. Determinism is not inconsistent with the cruel treatment of criminals. What it is (perhaps) inconsistent with is the generous treatment of criminals; with any appeal to their better feelings or encouragement in their moral struggle. The determinist does not believe in appealing to the will, but he does believe in changing the environment. He must not say to the sinner, "Go and sin no more," because the sinner cannot help it. But he can put him in boiling oil; for boiling oil is an environment. Considered as a figure, therefore, the materialist has the fantastic outline of the figure of the madman. Both take up a position at once unanswerable and intolerable.

Chesterton - Orthodoxy

My interest in Chesterton quotes approximates zero, obviously. If we are in quoting mode, let me please know.

My question to you is, again: do you have some physolophical evidence, outside of Mr. Chesterton, that compatibilism rules out the general applicability of determinism? Do they think that intentational agencies trascend the basic laws of physics in any substantial way?

If yes. Where is this evidence?

Ciao

- viole

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Your analogy with the heroes is not correct, i think. We are not talking of sacrificing oneselves for things like country, liberty, our kids, the weak, etc.
I did not name the aim of the sacrifice, but every one of those Christ died to provide in the ultimate sense. There really is no argument possible of the type your making. You can argue that Christ did not die for X, you cannot suggest that if he did die for X that X is not the greatest possible thing to sacrifice one's self for. None of those are event remotely comparable to the eternal sanctification and forgiveness of all men. AS a famous civil war general said you certainty have a remarkable capacity for trivializing the momentous and complicating the obvious. Christ was the most precious sacrifice possible and what he purchased the most valuable of all. There is not a even a theoretically greater or more benevolent action.

I am asking if the proposition: "an innocent can pay the debt of the guilty and set him free", is morally acceptable. What does your objective source of morality tell you? Would you or would you not accept that a willing innocent sets a convict murderer free by being executed at his place (especially if he knew that he will magically be alive and kicking after three days) ?
Yes, he can, and only he could, in the context in which this took place. To take a herring and see if it makes the best saw to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest is not the proper context to evaluate the fish within. Our laws are the ultimate arbiter of nothing.

And saying that God's ways are not our ways, is not very helpful. For starters He is either a bad role model, or I cannot really say which part in the Bible we should follow or not. In fact, .I could dismiss any claim of God's given morality because of this. Yeah, yeah, let Him speak, His ways are not ours. :)
Christ is the best possible role model, a perfect one. I did not say every single way he is the opposite of our ways. In this case they are very similar. We both consider self sacrifice the greatest possible good.