• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is the crime where you live?

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

I thought you just pulled the trigger and don't have to pick up the brass then go on your way.
Just a thought:
Most criminals who commit personal crimes have graduated to them, personal crimes usually aren't their first gig as crooks so they will probably have a long arrest log (and a long list of potential enemies). Utilizing that knowledge and not leaving brass(evidence) laying around usually ensures you will get away with the killing of an idiot that would have killed you if you hadn't shot and injured or killed them first.

Precisely.

Draka

Wonder Woman
There isn't much of a crime problem here for the most part. There is the occassional burglary, vandalism and theft, but not rampant for sure. There have been the extremely rare murders, but they have been domestic/family cases really. Really, the most pervasive crime in my city is meth manufacturing. And even then, it's not like you hear about a meth lab being busted everyday.

I keep my vehicles unlocked normally. My front door is only locked at night while we sleep and while we are out. Family and friends usually just give a courtesy knock and walk in. I have no fear of walking out and about at night either.

Then again, you have to realize I live in a relatively small town (maybe 20-30,000 people - then add the illegals of course) in Southeast Iowa. It's not like we are a crime hub of anything. :p

A

angellous_evangellous

I keep my vehicles unlocked normally. My front door is only locked at night while we sleep and while we are out. Family and friends usually just give a courtesy knock and walk in. I have no fear of walking out and about at night either.

Then again, you have to realize I live in a relatively small town (maybe 20-30,000 people - then add the illegals of course) in Southeast Iowa. It's not like we are a crime hub of anything. :p

That's how it was everywhere I've lived except here. Even in my old house in Crowley - only five miles from where I live now, I left the doors unlocked and friends/family could just walk in. I have to constantly remind visiting family to lock their car doors and keep the house locked while they are here.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
You know, I just couldn't continue to live in an environment where I might feel the need to use deadly force in order to protect my family.

A

angellous_evangellous

You know, I just couldn't continue to live in an environment where I might feel the need to use deadly force in order to protect my family.

It sucks. My next-door neighbor also has a pistol and shotgun, and he's had to use the pistol before (at the house). He has a 13 yr old daughter and a six yr old son, and has to keep a loaded gun near him all the time.

Draka

Wonder Woman

I couldn't either. You're essentially living in constant fear and that's no way to live.

A

angellous_evangellous

I couldn't either. You're essentially living in constant fear and that's no way to live.

I'm not sure if it's fear. It's honest awareness of the fact that scumbags have made our city - or at least my hood - a type of medieval existence where you have to stand and fight for whatever you want to own, and be ready to kill or be killed for what you have (a home, possessions, women and children). Lately we've been seeing crooks rob and kill people in groups - that is, three or more crooks break into a house - tie up or kill the homeowner if they can, and do whatever else they want to do. Fortunately, that has been limited to Dallas so far - as far as I know - but that's why I have the guns fully loaded.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'm trading in my 9mm for a .38 or a .357 for more stopping power. Plus I like the safety features of a revolver - just pull the hammer back and fire - no need to **** the 9mm and click the safety off. Unlike some, I have no desire to put 5 slugs into someone repeatedly (with the semi-auto clip). I'd rather fire once and be done with it.
Revolvers are good for not having to pick up the brass. Or, get a Glock, they don't have a safety to click off. Your 9mm is more powerful than the .38 special, so you would want to go the .357 route if you choose a revolver. With multiple intruders, I would suggest a 40 caliber Glock with 16 rounds on board. Ammunition is more important than caliber however. Make sure you have jacketed hollow point ammunition. Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabers have good penetration and expansion.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Revolvers are good for not having to pick up the brass. Or, get a Glock, they don't have a safety to click off. Your 9mm is more powerful than the .38 special, so you would want to go the .357 route if you choose a revolver. With multiple intruders, I would suggest a 40 caliber Glock with 16 rounds on board. Ammunition is more important than caliber however. Make sure you have jacketed hollow point ammunition. Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabers have good penetration and expansion.
Nuts....

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
What is more important than weaponry is knowing when your security has been breached. Having a safe room in your house with a steal door and good locks, yes multiple locks and possibly a complete door block bar is much better than shooting it out with intruders. Good window locks, storm door locks adds another barrier for the intruder to get through and causes him to make noise which alerts you to a problem. Motion detector activated lights give you an early warning to an intruder and you can install an additional light in the house to let you know when they are on very inexpensively. Fences, dogs or any other barriers slow the intruder down and give you time to gather your family and retreat to the safe room in the house. If you have a room with no windows, that is a plus. A cell phone is a must and a shot gun is much better than a pistol. I would carry the pistol with me while gathering my family and then point the shotgun at the door once safely locked away from the intruders. Most thieves pass a house by that has better security. Get an alarm company sign and stick it where they can see it. The alarm is optional.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'm trading in my 9mm for a .38 or a .357 for more stopping power. Plus I like the safety features of a revolver - just pull the hammer back and fire - no need to **** the 9mm and click the safety off. Unlike some, I have no desire to put 5 slugs into someone repeatedly (with the semi-auto clip). I'd rather fire once and be done with it.

I have a samurai sword...........does that count?

Peace,
Mystic

A

angellous_evangellous

Ha! I didn't know that. :D

I do have hollow-points. For some reason, I'm not comfortable having a bullet in the chamber of the 9mm - I have nightmarish thoughts of someone picking it up wrong and shooting themselves or someone else by accident. So I keep it with the safety on and a fully loaded clip. Same with my shotgun - full magazine but nothing in the chamber. It's like having two safeties I guess. For some inexplicable reason, I'd feel better with a revolver and keeping it loaded and ready.

A

angellous_evangellous

Guess that's proof that "tougher" sentences don't always serve as deterrents, eh?

Not sure about what is a deterrent for these scumbags other than assurance of death by homeowner. And I mean deterrent in the sense that they won't be breaking in anywhere else if they are dead.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Not sure about what is a deterrent for these scumbags other than assurance of death by homeowner. And I mean deterrent in the sense that they won't be breaking in anywhere else if they are dead.

Well that's different, but it's true as well. Also I have heard that neighbors that keep tabs on one another, such as through effective Neighborhood Watch programs, can help manage the crime rates.

A

angellous_evangellous

Well that's different, but it's true as well. Also I have heard that neighbors that keep tabs on one another, such as through effective Neighborhood Watch programs, can help manage the crime rates.

Yeah, we have neighborhood watch. :rolleyes:

Mercy Not Sacrifice

lol, not saying that's the cure-all or anything. I've just heard that the ones that really work--I mean, neighbors keep tabs on each other and know right away when people who are up to no good have arrived.

Anyway, sorry to hear that your neighborhood is a war zone. Hope you can make it until you get out of there.

A

angellous_evangellous

Hope you can make it until you get out of there.

Me too. Fortunately, houses have been holding their value in this area because it's one of the fastest growing areas in the USA. If the interest rate is actually lowered by the Fed, more people will be buying, which is also good for sellers. I've already talked with my real estate agent, and we're waiting to sell until at least May.