• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how long do you think humans have been on earth?

Sculelos

My answers multi-fold and depends on what dating method I'm using. My official stance is number 1 but the others are useful for other reasons.

If using the Biblical Method

1. 5801 Years if correcting for the time-shift between 360 - 365.250625015625 day's between the Jewish and Gregorian calendars and also leap days..

2. 5773 Years if counting from a Jewish calendar but not adjusting for leap days nor the 360-365 day shift that happened in the day's of Hezekiah.

If using standard long-count Radiometric dating of Fossils.

208,836 Years.

If using standard short-count Radiometric Dating of Fossils :

149,220 Years.

If using standard radiometric dating of Sediment.

193,389,120 Years.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
And, apparently, some questions prove too awkward to answer. ;)

Actually Pegg thinks far further outside the box than any JW I have previously known, while at the same time sticking firmly to the JW theology.
While I find it very hard to believe as a JW, I think she is exceptionally robust in her own and their defence, and for that I admire her.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
what's YOU'RE guess? and how did you come up with this conclusion?
If we count humanity by its ability to use apostrophes correctly, then we're getting there :)

But it's difficult to know exactly where "human" starts, given that we can't travel back in time to see whether the things we can see have humanoid physiques from their remains and observe to see whether they're what we'd know as human.

..and when you ask how long they've been on Earth - does this mean you think they might have been human somewhere else, first?

kloth

If we count humanity by its ability to use apostrophes correctly, then we're getting there :)

But it's difficult to know exactly where "human" starts, given that we can't travel back in time to see whether the things we can see have humanoid physiques from their remains and observe to see whether they're what we'd know as human.

..and when you ask how long they've been on Earth - does this mean you think they might have been human somewhere else, first?

YOU can't travel back in time. :cool:

kloth

..and you can?

Then why are you asking the question? Jump in the time machine and go and find out.
because i want to know what other people's guess is, that's why i ask.

would you just jump in a time a machine and rush into such an answer? are you sure you really want to know the answer? besides just saying "sure, why not?" without much thought.

but if someone could travel back in time, would it be a good idea tell others then can do this i would wonder. especially if it were an actual machine. :cool:

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
Humans have been on this earth exactly one "Now." It wasn't precisely equal to this earth when any former "usses" were on an earth, as such we have only been on this earth exactly one "Now." Incidentally, this will probably seem far less profound to me when I am less drunk tomorrow morning, but still just as technically true.

Peace and Fun...

MTF

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
because i want to know what other people's guess is, that's why i ask.

would you just jump in a time a machine and rush into such an answer? are you sure you really want to know the answer? besides just saying "sure, why not?" without much thought.

but if someone could travel back in time, would it be a good idea tell others then can do this i would wonder. especially if it were an actual machine. :cool:
If I could travel back in time (& around in space - it probably wouldn't be very useful if a time machine stayed rooted in the physical space it left: the planet's rotating & orbiting and the whole solar system's moving so it might be tricky to maintain location), there's loads of things I'd want to find out about rather than just the somewhat nebulous "first human" question. Knowing my luck, I'd get stuck and end up realizing that I was the person I'd gone back to look for.