• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many smokers do we have?

How many smokers do we have on the Forum?

• I used to smoke heavily, but I quit

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • I used to smoke the odd one, but I quit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still smoke the odd one, it won't hurt, in moderation

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I'm really a chimney trying to pass itself off as a human being

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Smoking what, Moi? - Never

Votes: 22 51.2%

• Total voters

Crystal Red

Episkopos Crystal Red
Halcyon said:
when i see people my age (20's) and younger take up smoking, i feel they must be innately stupid - they know it will do them harm, and that it is addictive and that it will kill you, yet they do it anyway to look 'cool'. When i see people my age smoking i consider them to be sheep with the will power of gnats, and i will often avoid talking to them.
I am almost 17, I smoke, I have smoked for 3 years, alothough I only started smoking as heavily as I do now about 3 months ago (at least 10 a day), I know it will harm me, but I do it because I like it, I never did it to look cool, the day I stop liking it is the day I quit (or at least make the decision to).

Crystal Red

Episkopos Crystal Red
jewscout said:
i used to smoke pretty heavily but, even in VA, it got expensive...almost $3 for a pack of Marlboro Reds:eek:
EXPENSIVE!!! You think that's expensive, over here it's £4 for any pack except John Players (my preferred brand), which is slightly cheaper, that's roughly $8, so don't complain, & it's even more expensive in England.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Crystal Red said:
I am almost 17, I smoke, I have smoked for 3 years, alothough I only started smoking as heavily as I do now about 3 months ago (at least 10 a day), I know it will harm me, but I do it because I like it, I never did it to look cool, the day I stop liking it is the day I quit (or at least make the decision to).
You might find, one day in winter, when you have a chest infection, and that the slightest effort makes your breath rasp into your lungs with immense effort; that was the moment when I thought "This is what I will be like as an old man".:eek:

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
I smoke a lot more at the computer. Been smoking for 6 years, started on the 4mg
ones, now I have 16mg, anything less, and it feels like a straw.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
When I was in Tennesse about a month ago, it seemed even the cheap brands (basic) were more than the expensive (Malboro) ones in Indiana. Basics are only two bucks a pack were I live, but 4 dollars in Tennesse. Malboros and Salems are only alittle over three in my area, versus 5 in TN.

I started smoking out of curiosity, when I was 16. I just wondered what it was like. I didn't like the taste much, but the menthol sensation was rather enjoyable. I smoked Salems for awhile, tried to quit, started again, tried to quit again, started again, tried to quit yet again, and so on. I find the menthol sensation and stress reliefe to be what keeps me smoking more. And Swisher Sweets with a cherry flavored tip are my favorite to smoke on a pleasant evening. I can fight cravings rather well, sometimes going months without a single cigarette or cigar, but the damned cool sensation on my lips, and in my mouth and throat keep making me smoke. I felt like an @** at one my friends party since I was the only one smoking, I tried to quit, AND DAMN THAT MENTHOL!:mad::banghead3
I do know an alchemist that is making an herbal mixture that is supposed to eleminate cravings. I did volunteer to test it out when he gets it finished. Hopefully its soon so I don't have to suffer with the thought of no menthols because of high gas prices.

Crystal Red

Episkopos Crystal Red
michel said:
You might find, one day in winter, when you have a chest infection, and that the slightest effort makes your breath rasp into your lungs with immense effort; that was the moment when I thought "This is what I will be like as an old man".:eek:
Since when am I a man?

But yeah I suppose you're right about the rest, but I'm a bit like Luke Wolf, I tend to pick things up & drop them again quite easily, I only think to smoke when I'm doing nothing, I only even think to eat when I'm doing nothing, when I do things (for example playing my guitar which I spend most of my time doing) I usually really immerse myself in them so I forget about everything else, if I wanted to quite I'd do that all the time. Or maybe I'd chew nicotine gum, but wouldn't it be hard to keep it lit?

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I never saw the need to suck on the end of something burning.:confused: Mankind has known since the caveman days that breathing smoke was dangerous, so anyone who purposely concentrated inhaling smoke knew he was assuming a risk.

My heart goes out to the families that have to watch a loved one wither away from lung cancer or emphysema.:angel:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Crystal Red said:
Since when am I a man?
Heheehee, in order to clear up confusion, should you wish, you could always check the little 'gender icon' thingy in the User CP. Otherwise, it can get a bit confusing around here!

cardero

Citizen Mod
Crystal Red said:
(for example playing my guitar which I spend most of my time doing) I usually really immerse myself in them so I forget about everything else, if I wanted to quite I'd do that all the time.
This guy (who is not me) probably won't get to that cigarette (the one being held near the tuning machines) but it does make for a cool appearance.

mrscarrdero's right; Yahoo Images has a picture for everything.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Halcyon said:
I have fairly strong opinions on smoking because my father died from lung cancer.

Nowadays I often use it as a judge of intelligence/character. Older people, i feel have a bit of an excuse for smoking, because they have probably been addicted for years. But when i see people my age (20's) and younger take up smoking, i feel they must be innately stupid - they know it will do them harm, and that it is addictive and that it will kill you, yet they do it anyway to look 'cool'. When i see people my age smoking i consider them to be sheep with the will power of gnats, and i will often avoid talking to them.
i respect your oppinion and you are entitled to it - and im truely sorry to hear your dad died of lung cancer

i used to smoke quite a bit, but ive cut down loads - i only smoke a couple a week now.

but i have only ever smoked "golden vaginia" which is pre-cut tobacco leaf, and you roll it yourself - these are different to a normal packet of cigarettes because i can garuntee they dont have loads of chemical and process and industrial (insert rude word here) in them

i dont think smoking is a sign of ignorance or beeing a sheep in society (people who know me often state that i am quite blatantly not fussed about what the rest of society is doing :biglaugh: ) and i think this because it would be conscious stereotyping, which never leads to a good thing ;) some of the most intelligent, knowledgable and brilliant people i know smoke

C_P

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Unfortunately I started at boarding school - because of loneliness, peer pressure, being bullied. Smoking back in the sixties was almost a social necessity - now, of course we know better.

When I was in my twenties, I could hold my breath for a good long time (maybe close on to three minutes) - I'm lucky if I can do 30 seconds now..:eek:

Shadow Wolf

I just threw the all the cigars I had away. Mainly because of the taste. But it will be two weeks before I can get more smokes. Hopefully I can quit for good. I can't destress by smoking. Hopefully I'll find another way.
I wonder how well RF support groups would do? Probably wouldn't happen, but it could bring a great since of pride being able to say, "This site that I run, along with several others, has many members that have have quit smoking because of the support groups on it, and the many terrific people that help out with them." I think that would be cool seeing RF on CNN as the "new, highly successful way to quit smoking." Maybe Rex and Todd would get on Larry King for an interview.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I smoke ~half a pack(10) a day.

I don't do it to look cool, or because it is what "everyone" is doing, but that I have the tendency to get a bit wound up, and smoking helps keep me calm...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Mister Emu said:
I smoke ~half a pack(10) a day.

I don't do it to look cool, or because it is what "everyone" is doing, but that I have the tendency to get a bit wound up, and smoking helps keep me calm...
I wouldn't have thought you'd get wound up! you 'sound' calm enough; can't you think of a less expensive, and healthier way of calming down?:)

Shadow Wolf

I am desperatly looking for an alternative to calm down. I tried buying a big bag Halls cough drops, hoping the menthol in those would help, while it did help cravings a bit, it just didn't help my stress.

Elizabeth

I have been smoking for over 30 yrs. It seemed like everyone I knew smoked in them days. It is something I am not proud of but I guess I lack will power (or weak of the flesh). I am, I suppose, a curtious smoker in that do not smoke in my house (have 2 children) or anywhere that smoking is not allowed. Don't what to pass along second hand smoke and I often wonder why I can't give it up? Of course I rationalize alot about it all.
But as they say "never quit quitting".
Elizabeth

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Elizabeth said:
I have been smoking for over 30 yrs. It seemed like everyone I knew smoked in them days. It is something I am not proud of but I guess I lack will power (or weak of the flesh). I am, I suppose, a curtious smoker in that do not smoke in my house (have 2 children) or anywhere that smoking is not allowed. Don't what to pass along second hand smoke and I often wonder why I can't give it up? Of course I rationalize alot about it all.
But as they say "never quit quitting".
Elizabeth
I may be out of line, but do you honestly want to stop smoking ?