• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many Theists are Atheists too?

stvdv

Veteran Member

Definition Atheism: Lack of belief in any God

As per this definition I am an Atheist. I know that God exists

Note 1: Speak for yourself, try not to generalize or speak for others - let's leave that to ***
Note 2: Use your own words, not copy/paste verses from Bible or other Scriptures
Note 3: In this thread there is no need to prove to others IF you speak for yourself
Note 4: Speaking for yourself: I believe, I feel, I know, I think and IMHO, IMO etc

Last edited:

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I think this is muddling the difference between theist and atheist o_O

Also belief is a strange word. I can "believe" a God exists without trusting him, so the first quality is more "rational" and the second one more "emotion-based".

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Note 1: Speak for yourself, try not to generalize or speak for others - let's leave that to ***
Note 2: Use your own words, not copy/paste verses from Bible or other Scriptures
Note 3: In this thread there is no need to prove to others IF you speak for yourself
Note 4: Speaking for yourself: I believe, I feel, I know, I think and IMHO, IMO etc

I don't understand. "I believe God does not exist (and) I know God exists?"

So god exists because you know it's true not because you believe it's true?

I know God does not exist. I can say I believe he doesn't, but after catagorizing everything I known as reality all my life, I have no reason to say believe. Unless something changes my view of reality, gods (deities) don't exist. So I can't be both.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Since knowledge is 'justified true belief' (at least to a good first approximation), if you *know* something, you also have a *belief*.

Gargovic Malkav

Don't you need to believe something first before you can say you know it?

QuestioningMind

If you KNOW that something is true then you certainly don't LACK a belief in that something. You not ONLY believe it, you KNOW it as well.

That said, strictly speaking virtually all theists are atheists when it comes to one god or another... unless of course you claim to believe is ALL proposed gods.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Some years ago i came across a website for clergy who don't believe in god so just had a search to find it again

Sorry. I cannot find it with a quick look but there are lots of sites and articles like this
Survey finds 2 per cent of Anglican priests are not believers

stvdv

Veteran Member
Some years ago i came across a website for clergy who don't believe in god so just had a search to find it again

Sorry. I cannot find it with a quick look but there are lots of sites and articles like this
Survey finds 2 per cent of Anglican priests are not believers
Yes, we have that also in Holland (I google translated the first part; it's in Dutch)
Klaas Hendrikse, the atheist pastor, has passed away. Hendrikse (70) gained fame when twelve years ago - he was a minister in Zierikzee and Middelburg - he said in an interview with this newspaper that he is an atheist. "I believe there is no such thing as God, I am an atheist, and I am a pastor because I believe in God. So I believe in a God who does not exist. "God only exists in us humans, says Hendrikse.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Note 4: Speaking for yourself: I know, I think, I feel, IMHO, IMO etc

I know nothing, since I am a skeptic and don't believe in justified true beliefs; i.e. knowledge in the classical sense.

I believe in beliefs, which appear to work for me. But i don't believe in justification nor truth.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It is a too definition laden to have meaning in an interfaith environment. The experience of knowing but not believing does not compute on this end of the telephone.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes. I agree, belief is indeed a strange word, hence I like Atheism "lack of belief". And I also like Theism "abundance of knowing"

Theism-abundance of knowing??

I don't know about other languages, but theism tends to be the root word. So, if atheist is disbelief in gods, the root word would be belief.

How did knowing figure in?

stvdv

Veteran Member
Theism-abundance of knowing??

I don't know about other languages, but theism tends to be the root word. So, if atheist is disbelief in gods, the root word would be belief.

How did knowing figure in?
Start is belief, end is knowing. "Belief" implies "not knowing (yet)".
IF Theism is "belief in God" AND "God does not exist" would make not much sense
IF Theism is "belief in God" AND "God exists" THEN natural "knowing is important in Theism"

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Knowledge is belief that has been validated. It has been shown to be reliable and consistent.

I think all knowledge has some basis in belief. So if I say I have no knowledge of a god, that means there is nothing known about a God I believe to be reliable and consistent.

For me this is what atheism is about. Accepting that there is nothing known about a god that is reliable or consistent. So I lack a belief that there exists any reliable knowledge about a god.