• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many Theists are Atheists too?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Definition Atheism: Lack of belief in any God

As per this definition I am an Atheist. I know that God exists

Note 1: Speak for yourself, try not to generalize or speak for others - let's leave that to ***
Note 2: Use your own words, not copy/paste verses from Bible or other Scriptures
Note 3: In this thread there is no need to prove to others IF you speak for yourself
Note 4: Speaking for yourself: I believe, I feel, I know, I think and IMHO, IMO etc
a gnostic knows. I am an atheist.

I don't believe in a god apart from self and other as self, as God. All is god

stvdv

Veteran Member
Hi,
A belief is only valid if it's backed up by actions. So in this sense IMHO, a person can claims to be a Theist but his action can show him to be an Atheist.

Cheers.
True. Thought, words and deed in line with belief is the best

What specific action would you say makes one an Atheist?

firedragon

Veteran Member

Note 1: Speak for yourself, try not to generalize or speak for others - let's leave that to ***
Note 2: Use your own words, not copy/paste verses from Bible or other Scriptures
Note 3: In this thread there is no need to prove to others IF you speak for yourself
Note 4: Speaking for yourself: I believe, I feel, I know, I think and IMHO, IMO etc

Good question. 18% of Atheists believe in a higher power. So its an identify statement.

I dont know how many theists dont believe in God. I can only assume.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
:DNot easy with all the denominations. I guess Deism has relatively few denominations?
Ha ha! I reckon that Deism is individual to each Deist.
As many variations as there are Deists at present.

Just recently I learned about Deism. This is a nice description, thanks.
So, if I understand it well, you miss out on all the fun of God playing pranks on us? But at least you also miss out on Hell and stuff:)
Yep....... the fun pranks and hell all come to us but through from Fate..... or Nature, if you like.

I perceive the representative of God here in this little Universe to be Mother Nature. Now I could cuddle up to a Mother, so long as She's in a good mood.
:p

Neuropteron

True. Thought, words and deed in line with belief is the best

What specific action would you say makes one an Atheist?

Well, since an Atheist has no concept of being accountal to a creator, his actions are limited to boundaries that he established himself or that are imposed on him by society.

stvdv

Veteran Member
Well, since an Atheist has no concept of being accountal to a creator, his actions are limited to boundaries that he established himself or that are imposed on him by society.
True. Still he might do the same actions as a Theist. So, that would make him equal to a theist, true?

stvdv

Veteran Member
If all you can do is quibble over wording, I'll count this as you bowing out of our little discussion.
I count this that I just stick to the OP

Tiberius

I count this that I just stick to the OP

Say what you will.

But if you claim that you have evidence that can settle the issue once and for all, yet you refuse to produce this evidence, then I think you're just blowing smoke.

Neuropteron

True. Still he might do the same actions as a Theist. So, that would make him equal to a theist, true?

Hi,
It's not so much a question of being equal, because were all equal. I'ts more about accepting that life is substained by God. He requires us to live according to his standards. A person that doesn't believe that he exists is hardly going to subject himself to his directives thus depriving himself of the benefits God offers for those that do.

stvdv

Veteran Member
Hi,
It's not so much a question of being equal, because were all equal. I'ts more about accepting that life is substained by God. He requires us to live according to his standards. A person that doesn't believe that he exists is hardly going to subject himself to his directives thus depriving himself of the benefits God offers for those that do.
True, well said

Friendship with benefits
God is my only friend
Huge benefits

Last edited:

Yeah, not sure about this. I think Atheists feel they know that God doesn't exist, Agnostics feel they do not know God exists, and Theists feel they know God exists. To feel you know something, like how you feel you know the sky exists maybe or the Sun exists (everyone says "they know", but really they can't truly ever verify much of anything for certain).

Now that I've broken some of those rules or notes (since we're messing around with words here anyway, which seems to be a sort of annoying and pointless exercise), I'll say that I'm a theist and that Atheists are on the right track and just one notch away from being the sort of theist that I am, because its important to do away with all the "gods" and absurd notions the way that they have, cleansing the palette, before approaching the Ultimate Power.

I believe in no God but God who is all the Gods, One God, who is not what people tend to use the word God for (whether Atheist or Theist) if they imagine some anthropomorphic thing, but rather that the One God is the One Reality generating all experience and is the chaotic and free singular intelligence behind every instance of anything ever and always is such. So, that would be by some standards an Atheist, but I'm a theist, since I don't think its really fair or right to mess around with the seeming intentions behind what that definition meant to say or represent.

stvdv

Veteran Member
Yeah, not sure about this. I think Atheists feel they know that God doesn't exist, Agnostics feel they do not know God exists, and Theists feel they know God exists. To feel you know something, like how you feel you know the sky exists maybe or the Sun exists (everyone says "they know", but really they can't truly ever verify much of anything for certain).
I agree. You phrased it beautiful. Thanks

Now that I've broken some of those rules or notes (since we're messing around with words here anyway, which seems to be a sort of annoying and pointless exercise), I'll say that I'm a theist and that Atheists are on the right track and just one notch away from being the sort of theist that I am, because its important to do away with all the "gods" and absurd notions the way that they have, cleansing the palette, before approaching the Ultimate Power.
I agree, that Atheists seem to be on the right track ditching all the gods IMO, and absurd notions are usually not useful. I call it similar

(since we're messing around with words here anyway, which seems to be a sort of annoying and pointless exercise)
I agree. For me it's also a pointless exercise. Unless God is universal well defined, I see no point in debating whether or not God exists

stvdv

Veteran Member
I believe in no God but God who is all the Gods, One God, who is not what people tend to use the word God for (whether Atheist or Theist) if they imagine some anthropomorphic thing, but rather that the One God is the One Reality generating all experience and is the chaotic and free singular intelligence behind every instance of anything ever and always is such. So, that would be by some standards an Atheist, but I'm a theist, since I don't think its really fair or right to mess around with the seeming intentions behind what that definition meant to say or represent.
I agree. I was taught by a smart Master to never put God on the left side of the equation:D, implying that debating on God is pointless

So, I don't debate on this. I would like to know IF you feel a difference (see spoiler for my feeling about claims):
"1: I know that Jesus is the only way to be saved"
"2: I know that Jesus is the only way to be saved, for me"
"3: I know that Jesus is the only way to be saved, for you"
"4: Jesus is the only way to be saved, for you"
"5: You go to Hell unless you accept Jesus"

* Freedom of Speech means "I 'can't' be forced to speak", so I never "need to give proof, even if making a claim" (it has consequences)
* IF using "I believe, I feel, I know, I think" the person shares his opinion ('I'-message), so he makes not a claim
* IF imposing one's opinion on others, one must give sufficient proof IF one wants them to accept it

= = =

IF someone on RF tells me "1: I know that Jesus is the only way to be saved"
THEN I won't get upset, and I might ask "for you, for me or for all?" (no need for proof)

IF someone on RF tells me "2: I know that Jesus is the only way to be saved, for me"
THEN I won't get upset, and I might say "I am glad for you" (no need for proof)

IF someone on RF tells me "3: I know that Jesus is the only way to be saved, for you/all"
THEN I won't get upset, and I might say "Quite some pretentious knowledge" (no need for proof; he shares his opinion "I know....")

IF someone on RF tells me "4: Jesus is the only way to be saved, for you"
THEN I might act upset, and I might ask "Quite some pretentious claim" (needs proof*; he makes a clear claim AND imposes it on me)

IF someone on RF tells me "5: You go to Hell unless you accept Jesus"
THEN I might act upset, and I might say "You are rude, belittling and arrogant" (needs no proof; as I have self respect)
@stvdvRF