• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old is man?

calm

It's a crude attempt at concluding the Earth's age by going through the family trees presented in the Bible from Adam to Christ. It actually tends to produce a range between 6,000 - 10,000 years old. But, be as that may, many (including many fundamentalist/evangelical types) will state that must assume that the 7 Days of Creation would have been the 24-hour days we know, but we don't know what a day to god is. This leads to a group that doesn't really care, rejecting YEC and potentially scientific explanations. However, interpreting the days of creation to be longer than the days we know--entire periods of time and history--this gives rise to beliefs such as Old Earth Creationism, which does include evolution, however views it as being guided by god (and this view is made possible when a day is viewed as billions of years and then what we see is a gradual appearance of everything, including biodiversity).
For God, according to the heavenly tablets, a thousands years are like a day. But in fact, the days of creation were exactly 24 hours. Because if you look more closely, you will see that it is written at the end of each day of creation:
"And it was evening and it was morning; the ? day". The logical conclusion of this is that the days of creation were indeed 24 hours each.
But there is a reason for all this, because of course God, if he wanted to, could have created the world in less than 1 second. But he had it done that way, as a sign of time and especially as a sign of the Sabbath.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@Nowhere Man
@Nakosis

With the help of the genealogies of the Bible about mankind it is possible to determine an approximate age of man. From the sex registers in Genesis 5 and 11 we can see at what age Adam and his descendants each fathered the next generation. If one now count the years it becomes clear that the Bible teaches a young humanity that is about 6.000 years old, plus minus a few hundred years. But never more than 8.000 years.
But this is not clear. It never even occurred to anyone before Ussher did his genealogical addition in the 1600s.
Was the genealogy correct? Were the astonishing ages correct? Were any generations left out?

Again: evidence vs folklore. Why do you believe the bible an authoritative historical text?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For God, according to the heavenly tablets, a thousands years are like a day. But in fact, the days of creation were exactly 24 hours. Because if you look more closely, you will see that it is written at the end of each day of creation:
"And it was evening and it was morning; the ? day". The logical conclusion of this is that the days of creation were indeed 24 hours each.
But there is a reason for all this, because of course God, if he wanted to, could have created the world in less than 1 second. But he had it done that way, as a sign of time and especially as a sign of the Sabbath.
Why do you think this? Please explain your reasoning and sources.

calm

But this is not clear. It never even occurred to anyone before Ussher did his genealogical addition in the 1600s.
Was the genealogy correct? Were the astonishing ages correct? Were any generations left out?

Again: evidence vs folklore. Why do you believe the bible an authoritative historical text?
Who is Ussher? I do not know this person.
I have my own Bible and I can also read and count.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Who is Ussher? I do not know this person.
I have my own Bible and I can also read and count.
Aren't you reading these posts? See # 10.
How do you not know of Ussher? I knew of him and I'm not even Christian.

Are you saying you did your own Biblical chronology? Impressive, but again, why the bible? Why do you consider the bible an authoritative history book?

Question: Who was living at Gobekli Tepe settlement 10,000 years ago, before man or the planet was created?
https://naturedocumentaries.org/620...xM5Pwt0xjqYpW0FpaT8P2k_BsqAQoB1qPrIq8EgbgUwOu

Cooky

Veteran Member
I hate when people say "man". It's as.if there are elves and dwarves we're contending with. We're human beings, not "man".

images.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

calm

Aren't you reading these posts? See # 10.
How do you not know of Ussher? I knew of him and I'm not even Christian.

Are you saying you did your own Biblical chronology? Impressive, but again, why the bible? Why do you consider the bible an authoritative history book?

Question: Who was living at Gobekli Tepe settlement 10,000 years ago, before man or the planet was created?
https://naturedocumentaries.org/620...xM5Pwt0xjqYpW0FpaT8P2k_BsqAQoB1qPrIq8EgbgUwOu
I have seen this post, but have not read his links. And yes I don't know Ussher, even if I am a Christian I don't need to know him. And why do I have to do my "own" chronology? I looked at the family trees, saw in which period Abraham would fit and then I added up the years and with the help of the "Lesser Genesis" it was much easier for me to calculate the approximate year.

And I don't believe what your link says. I believe it is as implausible as with the age of man.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have seen this post, but have not read his links. And yes I don't know Ussher, even if I am a Christian I don't need to know him. And why do I have to do my "own" chronology? I looked at the family trees, saw in which period Abraham would fit and then I added up the years and with the help of the "Lesser Genesis" it was much easier for me to calculate the approximate year.
Sorry, I think you misinterpreted my post. I wasn't implying you had to do your own chronology. I got the impression you had done your own chronology, which would have been a quite impressive task.
But I still don't understand why you think this ancient book is an accurate archaeology text.
And I don't believe what your link says. I believe it is as implausible as with the age of man.
Do you mean it's inconsistent with your current beliefs about the age of man? Yes, that it is.
What do you make of this settlement, then?

You ask some good questions in your OP. Were they serious, or just clickbait?
When two different answers to a question are proposed, wouldn't it be more reasonable to lean toward the proposal with the better evidence?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
No where does the Bible say the Earth is only 6,000 years old.

According to the Bible, approximately 1,948 years elapsed from the creation of Adam until the birth of Abraham ( Genesis 5 ) , then 529 years elapsed from Abraham's birth until the Ten Commandments were written ( Genesis 17:1-4) , (Galatians 3:17). 480 years passed after this time until King Solomon's Temple was built during the fourth year of his rule in Jerusalem. ( 1 Kings 6:1 ) According to the Bible, Solomon ruled Israel for another 36 years afterwards, and several other kings ruled Jerusalem all together for approximately 343 years after Solomon until the Babylonian siege of Jerusalem in 587 BC. ( Kings 1 and 2 ) 1948+529+480+36+343+587 = ca. 3,923 B.C. would be the Biblical time span between the creation of Adam and the birth of Christ.