• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How The Democrats Will Still Lose

PureX

Veteran Member
I happened to see the recent political ad for Kamala Harris the other day and my immediate thought was that I hoped they would fire whomever created it. As it was exactly what the democrats have always done to turn away moderate and undecided voters. The whole ad was dripping with images of 'diversity' and of liberal heroes and touting liberalism and inclusion as "freedom", and worst of all, it was blatant liberal virtue-signaling from beginning to end.

Don't misunderstand. It's not that I think these things are wrong, or bad. But it smells heavily of liberal moral elitism of the exact kind that turns a lot of people off and even makes some of them angry. And those are the same people that are not politically progressive. The same people that could just as likely vote for Trump as for Harris. In a word, the they are very people the democrats should be trying to attract. Not offend.

This is an ongoing obsession with the democrats in power: that they love to paint themselves as 'oh so morally superior'. And liberals as the only intelligent and true Americans. And it's in no small part why Hillary lost to Donald Trump in 2016. And here they are, right out of the gate, doing the same thing, again. Because they've learned nothing.

To their credit, they at least stopped short of accusing conservatives and republicans of being mentally retarded and morally bankrupt haters of freedom and democracy. Which, even if it were true (and it's not) certainly is not going to win any of them over. Or inspire any non-defensive consideration from them. It's just counter-productive self-aggrandizing that will hurt the democrat's own cause in the end.

And the stakes are too high this time for the same old democratic virtue-signaling BS. Harris needs to get out there among the people and start touting the things Biden got done to help out the average citizen in the last 4 years. And he did get some meaningful things done for them. And she need to clearly and loudly state what things she intends to get done next to help out the average citizen in this country. Because the average citizen in this country needs a LOT OF HELP right now. They are drowning from the depths of corporate greed that has flooded every aspect of our commerce and corner of our culture.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
You say "will lose".
I'd say "can lose".
Nothing is cast in concrete yet.
Many things can happen before Nov.
I agree. But if they do lose, this will be why.

The American people need to hear about real solutions to real problems right now, and not more of this kind of empty virtue-signaling.

I'm going to be very disappointed in Kamala Harris of all she's going talk about is protecting women's rights and ethnic diversity and the moral superiority of liberalism. And so will a lot of other people be, too, I think. It's not that these are bad things. But they are not in the top of most of the American people's list of important issues right now. And especially not of those who are "swing voters".

Last edited:

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
You say "will lose".
I'd say "can lose".
Nothing is cast in concrete yet.
Many things can happen before Nov.

I think a lot of this stuff is aimed at gen Z. Apparently they are more likely to vote than previous generations (as young voters). Let's see if that holds true in actuality when the election comes around

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't know what works or fails in political campaigns.
But I observe that those who win elections have
simplistic slogans that sound positive &/or demonize
the other side. This is what has a history of working.
You may be right, and I may be wrong. But it didn't work for Hillary. And I think we are at an unprecedented point in our political history. We are in crisis, and we need real solutions. Not just more slogans and flag waving.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You may be right, and I may be wrong. But it didn't work for Hillary. And I think we are at an unprecedented point in our political history. We are in crisis, and we need real solutions. Not just more slogans and flag waving.
Hillary's campaign didn't differ from what's
common, eg, demonizing the other side.
And she got more votes that Trump did.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I happened to see the recent political ad for Kamala Harris the other day and my immediate thought was that I hoped they would fire whomever created it. As it was exactly what the democrats have always done to turn away moderate and undecided voters. The whole ad was dripping with images of 'diversity' and of liberal heroes and touting liberalism and inclusion as "freedom", and worst of all, it was blatant liberal virtue-signaling from beginning to end.
How utterly, utterly sad. That diversity and inclusion should be reasons to lose an election in a pluralistic nation probably explains why America is among the most politically divided nations in the developed world. I write this just after I wrote in the Homophobia thread, and it feels amost like the same forces are at work.

I have to say it, it is this, probably more than any other thing, that most differentiates Canada from the U.S. We have our differences and our political divides, as everyone does, but nothing even remotely close to what I see in the U.S.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
How utterly, utterly sad. That diversity and inclusion should be reasons to lose an election in a pluralistic nation probably explains why America is among the most politically divided nations in the developed world. I write this just after I wrote in the Homophobia thread, and it feels amost like the same forces are at work.
It is the reality of who we are as a people and a nation that we care more about our own problems then we care about the problems of others. We will care about theirs when ours have been addressed. That's just the way it is. And that's why the democrats need to learn this lesson, and focus their attention on the problems that people see as their own, and not on the problems that people see as someone else's.
I have to say it, it is this, probably more than any other thing, that most differentiates Canada from the U.S. We have our differences and our political divides, as everyone does, but nothing even remotely close to what I see in the U.S.
That observation will do exactly nothing to help change things for the better in the U.S., though.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I don't even remember what her slogan was.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It is the reality of who we are as a people and a nation that we care more about our own problems then we care about the problems of others. We will care about theirs when ours have been addressed. That's just the way it is. And that's why the democrats need to learn this lesson, and focus their attention on the problems that people see as their own, and not on the problems that people see as someone else's.

That observation will do exactly nothing to help change things for the better in the U.S., though.
Well, perhaps you could start with you, then?

Argentbear

She was blatantly insulting and name-calling everyone that didn't buy into her superior liberal ideology. And so of course they voted for the other guy instead.
Any examples of this blatant insulting name calling of everyone who didn't buy into her superior liberal ideology?

Pogo

hillary won the popular vote, and yes, we are in crisis, the choice is between moving forward as we have mostly done or backpedaling to an age that never was.

Even seniors recognize this at this point, they still love their grandchildren.

Pogo

Well since most of the problems that Americans think are their problems are not real, being loud and pointing this out is necessary.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Don't misunderstand. It's not that I think these things are wrong, or bad. But it smells heavily of liberal moral elitism of the exact kind that turns a lot of people off and even makes some of them angry. And those are the same people that are not politically progressive. The same people that could just as likely vote for Trump as for Harris. In a word, the they are very people the democrats should be trying to attract. Not offend.

This is an ongoing obsession with the democrats in power: that they love to paint themselves as 'oh so morally superior'. And liberals as the only intelligent and true Americans. And it's in no small part why Hillary lost to Donald Trump in 2016. And here they are, right out of the gate, doing the same thing, again. Because they've learned nothing.

To their credit, they at least stopped short of accusing conservatives and republicans of being mentally retarded and morally bankrupt haters of freedom and democracy. Which, even if it were true (and it's not) certainly is not going to win any of them over. Or inspire any non-defensive consideration from them. It's just counter-productive self-aggrandizing that will hurt the democrat's own cause in the end.

And the stakes are too high this time for the same old democratic virtue-signaling BS. Harris needs to get out there among the people and start touting the things Biden got done to help out the average citizen in the last 4 years. And he did get some meaningful things done for them. And she need to clearly and loudly state what things she intends to get done next to help out the average citizen in this country. Because the average citizen in this country needs a LOT OF HELP right now. They are drowning from the depths of corporate greed that has flooded every aspect of our commerce and corner of our culture.

Well, I've said it before, but the Democrats need to get back to the basics of being the party of working people. The best they can say now is that they're not as bad as the Republicans when it comes to treatment of the workers and lower classes. The homelessness problem in states like California is a disgrace, and even doubly so now that Newsome is driving out all the homeless encampments. That's Kamala Harris' home state.

Certainly, the Democrats have a very good chance of winning, but they can't take anything for granted or get too arrogant or overconfident.