• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to keep the ToE alive - 101

Man of Faith

Wait - how far is too far? Even before applying to this professorship, Martin Gaskell had already obtained his PhD in astronomy and was a research associate at a major university. According to his web page, he's credited with 16 papers this year.

If the scientific community was really opposed to him being successful, how did he get as far as he already has?

Your quote isn't complete. You left out a chunk in the middle without noting that you did so.

The bit I've highlighted below is especially relevant:

IOW, the judge hasn't ruled that Gaskell was unfairly discriminated agaist; the judge ruled in his favour on a pre-trial motion to have the case dismissed without trial.

Another telling quote from the article:

So... your position is that to "protect evolution" over creationism, universities unfairly reject applicants for professorship who... support evolution and reject creationism?

This makes no sense.

Evolution shouldn't be protected period, we should follow the evidence. If evolution was true, it wouldn't need to be protected.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
You don't think that there should be any distinction made between a frog that evolves into a different species of frog and a frog that evolves into a Prince?

I think that if a person believes that then they don't know what Evolution is and they need to go and learn what it is. Micro Evolution IS Macro Evolution. The TOE never said one thing will become a completely different thing....

You just got through saying the creation story is a narrative. So those seeking the answers as to the diversity of life on this planet will not find it amongst a narrative. The bible doesn't explain the natural world around us....

A

angellous_evangellous

You don't think that there should be any distinction made between a frog that evolves into a different species of frog and a frog that evolves into a Prince?

How would you know if a frog evolved into a Prince?

A

angellous_evangellous

Evolution shouldn't be protected period, we should follow the evidence. If evolution was true, it wouldn't need to be protected.

In all honesty, evolution is not protected. It is and has been changed significantly over the years as we learn more about the world. It exists in a constant state of challenge and refinement, as do all things in the scientific world.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Guggenheim Museum is a big spiral. Say you decide to visit and are touring the museum. You start on level 1. As you walk around the spiral, you come to a sign saying "level 2". What do you do?

- just take a couple more steps and continue onto level 2, because it's right there in front of you.
- walk back down to where you started and take the elevator, because there's an inherent barrier between building storeys that can only be traversed by elevators or stairs.

Museum Map

Allowing for "micro-evolution" but denying "macro-evolution" is exactly like saying "well, sure, you can walk around one level of the Guggenheim, but you can't walk all the way up in one go!"

outhouse

Atheistically
The ToE contradicts the Bible

true one is pure myth in my opinion and ToE is reality

What we see in life is what the Bible reports

what part ?? things like living, breathing and human emotion are in the bible but thats were the bible falls short in the imagination added to explain what they didnt know and science discover's.

There is no macro-evoluton being observed and the Bible tells why

the bible is not a accurate history book and its never been a science book of any kind NOR was it ever intended to be. Poems and fiction are not science

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Excuse me?!

Of course that's not going to happen! NO, let me repeat that, ZERO evolutionary biologists, and people who accept evolution, will say a frog can turn into a prince, or any other species just like that.

Real biological evolution is NOTHING like the evolution of pokemon.

Biological evolution is a species of frog over time evolving into another species of frog. And then into another species that still somewhat resembles the original frog. And then into another species that only slightly resembles the original frog.

And so on, and so on, until it becomes a species of frog that no longer resembles the original. Here's an idea: perhaps along the way, one of these species ends up with a very special mutation: as an adult, it no longer has to rely on water in order to survive. That's where it starts. Then, later down the evolutionary ladder, a descendant of that frog develops another interesting mutation: as a tadpole, it manages to get into some mud by accident, and manages to survive there to adulthood. That gets passed on to its children, and soon you've got a new species of frog that can survive its entire life outside of the water.

Go on a bit more like that, and you end up with an animal that's descended from frogs, but is a reptile, probably similar to a lizard. And don't forget that at this point, there would be a ton of other offshoots of our original frog, who is most likely extinct at this point.

That's how biological evolution works. If I'm mistaken anywhere in my explanation, hopefully someone more qualified can correct me.

outhouse

Atheistically
FROM your link

Science professors cited a lecture Gaskell has given called "Modern Astronomy, the Bible and Creation," which he developed for "Christians and others interested in Bible and science questions...," according to an outline of the lecture. Gaskell told the AP he was invited to give the lecture at UK in 1997, and organizers had read his notes.
The wide-ranging lecture outlines historical scientific figures who discuss God and interpretations of the creation story in the biblical chapter Genesis. Also in the notes, Gaskell mentions evolution, saying the theory has "significant scientific problems" and includes "unwarranted atheistic assumptions and extrapolations," according to court records.

You cant mix religion with real science in a classroom, we dont know if he would have. If you cannot accept scientific facts like evolution YOU have no place teaching science of any kind to anyone! and thats why he was passed up. He discredits scientist so no wondr scientist didnt want him to teach for them.

This is a no brainer. MoF you must realize there is no debate about evolution as all!! its fact, to say different is just a lack of education in the proper fields of study.

Creationist love to pretend that a debate about evolution is still on the table. creationist say this because of the money they make from uneducated followers. Anualy this is in the millions. Its big money to sell myth's.

Amill

Apikoros
Last edited:

Man of Faith

The Guggenheim Museum is a big spiral. Say you decide to visit and are touring the museum. You start on level 1. As you walk around the spiral, you come to a sign saying "level 2". What do you do?

- just take a couple more steps and continue onto level 2, because it's right there in front of you.
- walk back down to where you started and take the elevator, because there's an inherent barrier between building storeys that can only be traversed by elevators or stairs.

Museum Map

Allowing for "micro-evolution" but denying "macro-evolution" is exactly like saying "well, sure, you can walk around one level of the Guggenheim, but you can't walk all the way up in one go!"

This analogy doesn't help. I could walk up one or twenty flights of stairs but I would still be a human. From direct observation, nobody has every seen a frog mutate into anything other than another frog. A frog to a Prince over millions of years is just imagination and presupposition.

Man of Faith

:biglaugh:
if the bible were true, it wouldn't need protecting :facepalm:

Are you putting science with should be objective to the Bible that takes faith? I will agree with you that the reason evolution has to be protected is because it isn't objective science.

Man of Faith

FROM your link

Science professors cited a lecture Gaskell has given called "Modern Astronomy, the Bible and Creation," which he developed for "Christians and others interested in Bible and science questions...," according to an outline of the lecture. Gaskell told the AP he was invited to give the lecture at UK in 1997, and organizers had read his notes.
The wide-ranging lecture outlines historical scientific figures who discuss God and interpretations of the creation story in the biblical chapter Genesis. Also in the notes, Gaskell mentions evolution, saying the theory has "significant scientific problems" and includes "unwarranted atheistic assumptions and extrapolations," according to court records.

You cant mix religion with real science in a classroom, we dont know if he would have. If you cannot accept scientific facts like evolution YOU have no place teaching science of any kind to anyone! and thats why he was passed up. He discredits scientist so no wondr scientist didnt want him to teach for them.

This is a no brainer. MoF you must realize there is no debate about evolution as all!! its fact, to say different is just a lack of education in the proper fields of study.

Creationist love to pretend that a debate about evolution is still on the table. creationist say this because of the money they make from uneducated followers. Anualy this is in the millions. Its big money to sell myth's.

There is no debate? What are we doing? And what are the people in the article doing?

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Are you putting science with should be objective to the Bible that takes faith? I will agree with you that the reason evolution has to be protected is because it isn't objective science.

huh?
if you can clear up the 1st question i would be happy to answer it....

2nd question
no i didn't imply that. evolution doesn't need to be protected. the bible needs to be. faith as you have clearly demonstrated relies on presumption, not so with science...