• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How well do Christians know their Bible?

I find it very interesting that there are many different answers for questions asked to Christians. How well do Christians know their Bible? Let's see how many different answers we can have for the same question.

If someone dies without hearing the gospel, are they destined to eternal destruction? Maybe someone can post biblical passages to support their answer?

Bishka

Veteran Member
I find it very interesting that there are many different answers for questions asked to Christians. How well do Christians know their Bible? Let's see how many different answers we can have for the same question.

If someone dies without hearing the gospel, are they destined to eternal destruction? Maybe someone can post biblical passages to support their answer?

It depends all on who you consider Christians and their views on the Bible. Some people do not consider some groups Christian, do you? There are also some Christian groups who believe that the Bible is not the only Holy text out there. So whom are you referring to in this question?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Mar 3:29
(29) But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

Luk 18:18-22
(18) And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
(19) And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.
(20) Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.
(21) And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.
(22) Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Mar 10:29-30
(29) And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,
(30) But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

Mat 25:45-46
(45) Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
(46) And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Paul (Saul) was/is Anti-Christ on 36 points plus...
Simon the stone (peter) mistaught…
John Nicodemus (Nicolaitans) was Pharisee...

Mat 7:20-23
(20) Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
(21) Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
(22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
(23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Mat 12:50
(50) For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Kaysar

Legatus Legionis

The Milennium period spoken of in the great book of Revelation is reserved for those who never had a chance to believe in the gospel.

It depends all on who you consider Christians and their views on the Bible. Some people do not consider some groups Christian, do you? There are also some Christian groups who believe that the Bible is not the only Holy text out there. So whom are you referring to in this question?

I was talking more about individuals and not groups?

Smoke

Done here.
Some Christians know the Bible quite well. However, I hear a lot of talk about the Bible, and I've noticed a few things:

(1) A lot of people think they know more about the Bible than they do. People will look you dead in the eye and tell you the Bible forbids you to play the lottery or have an abortion, and they believe it.

(2) A lot of people who do know the Bible fairly well don't have any sense of context. Many of them know a lot of verses, or are Bible trivia masters ("Who was the father of Shallum?" "Jabesh!"), but they don't have any comprehension of what any of the authors are getting at, and they don't look at the context of those verses. They seem to look at the Bible as a jumble of random sayings that you can use as you will.

(3) Dogma doesn't seem to conduce to a better understanding of the texts. For example, if you approach the Bible as a Dispensationalist, you may be more concerned with forcing a text to fit your belief than with understanding it.

That being said, there are Christians who know the Bible well, but they're few and far between. That's not a slam of Christians; it seems to me that most people would rather watch television than read anything, much less a collection of texts as uneven and difficult as the Bible.

Some Christians know the Bible quite well. However, I hear a lot of talk about the Bible, and I've noticed a few things:

(1) A lot of people think they know more about the Bible than they do. People will look you dead in the eye and tell you the Bible forbids you to play the lottery or have an abortion, and they believe it.

(2) A lot of people who do know the Bible fairly well don't have any sense of context. Many of them know a lot of verses, or are Bible trivia masters ("Who was the father of Shallum?" "Jabesh!"), but they don't have any comprehension of what any of the authors are getting at, and they don't look at the context of those verses. They seem to look at the Bible as a jumble of random sayings that you can use as you will.

(3) Dogma doesn't seem to conduce to a better understanding of the texts. For example, if you approach the Bible as a Dispensationalist, you may be more concerned with forcing a text to fit your belief than with understanding it.

That being said, there are Christians who know the Bible well, but they're few and far between. That's not a slam of Christians; it seems to me that most people would rather watch television than read anything, much less a collection of texts as uneven and difficult as the Bible.

I understand what you are saying. It is quite true. People come with presuppostitons that may not be true. Dispensationalism is a realatively new approach to interepertation. Could you please share the three most major themes that are taught in the Bible?

may

JOHN 5;28-29
Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment. ...........those who die without hearing the gospel , will have a resurrection just the same as those who have heard , and they will be judged on how they live after they are resurrected , not what they did before they died . and the resurrection will take place in a new paradise earth . so if they die now, it is good to know that they still have a chance to get to know God.

Smoke

Done here.
Could you please share the three most major themes that are taught in the Bible?
No. The Bible is a diverse collection of texts that are often contradictory, and I think any selection of the three most important themes would be arbitrary.

anders

I find it very interesting that there are many different answers for questions asked to Christians. How well do Christians know their Bible?
For example, there is this one only chapter speaking of "the ten commandments". How many of you (or anybody) can quote the last one of those?

It's Exodus 34:26 (KJV): "Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk."

athanasius

Anyone that interpets the Holy Bible apart from the Holy Catholic Church, her Councils, and Traditions that gave it to us consigns his own work and exegesis to irrelevance.

Free4all

It's all about the blood
JOHN 5;28-29
Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment. ...........those who die without hearing the gospel , will have a resurrection just the same as those who have heard , and they will be judged on how they live after they are resurrected , not what they did before they died . and the resurrection will take place in a new paradise earth . so if they die now, it is good to know that they still have a chance to get to know God.

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. John 5:28-29

I see em being raised to the ressurrection of damnation. They will be judged at the great white throne (Rev 20:11-15) according to their works - not good.

FFH

Veteran Member
If someone dies without hearing the gospel, are they destined to eternal destruction?
No one will be damned, for eternity, being ignorant of Christ, his atoning sacrifice and the simple gospel of salvation.

They are held in "spirit prison" or "spirit paradise" and are taught the gospel of salvation through Christ's atoning sacrifice...
Maybe someone can post biblical passages to support their answer?
Doctrine and Covenants 131: 6
It is impossible for a man to be saved in ignorance...

God will not condemn a person who is ignorant of Christ, his atoning sacrafice and gospel of salvation, but niether can that person be saved, without a knowledge of Christ, his atoning sacrafice and his simple gospel of salvation..

Doctrine and Covenants 136: 32
Let him that is ignorant learn wisdom by humbling himself and calling upon the Lord his God, that his eyes may be opened that he may see, and his ears opened that he may hear;

The thief on the cross had never heard the gospel of salvation and yet Christ told him, "today thou shalt be with me in paradise," which is not heaven, but a place where the gospel will be preached to those who have never heard it before...

Luke 23: 43
And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

The gospel is being preached to the spirits in paradise and in prison...

1 Peter 3: 19
By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Doctrine and Covenants 138: 8, 28
“By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Click on these scripture links and study it out for yourself Mickey Mouse...

wizanda

Premium Member
The thief on the cross
Hag 2:11-15
(11) Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Ask now the priests concerning the law, saying,
(12) If one bear holy flesh in the skirt of his garment, and with his skirt do touch bread, or pottage, or wine, or oil, or any meat, shall it be holy? And the priests answered and said, No.
(13) Then said Haggai, If one that is unclean by a dead body touch any of these, shall it be unclean? And the priests answered and said, It shall be unclean.
(14) Then answered Haggai, and said, So is this people, and so is this nation before me, saith the LORD; and so is every work of their hands; and that which they offer there is unclean.
(15) And now, I pray you, consider from this day and upward, from before a stone was laid upon a stone in the temple of the LORD:---> Zerubbabel signet

Zec 4:7
(7) Who art thou, O great mountain? before Zerubbabel (Sown in Babylon) thou shalt become a plain: and he shall bring forth the headstone (plummet-line) thereof with shoutings, crying, Grace, grace unto it.

Mat 23:29-35
(29) Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
(30) And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
(31) Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
(32) Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
(33) Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
(34) Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
(35) That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

Psa 116:15
(15) Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.

Anyone that interpets the Holy Bible apart from the Holy Catholic Church, her Councils, and Traditions that gave it to us consigns his own work and exegesis to irrelevance.

I believe there are only a few verses the Catholic Magestrium interperts as dogma. For example, the confession of Peter is one. This is why there is great diversity with Catholic theologians. However, the Protestants broke from the Roman Catholic church because they believed that the Roman Catholic church taught a gospel contray to the Bible. Isn't that ironic?

wizanda

Premium Member
I believe there are only a few verses the Catholic Magestrium interperts as dogma. For example, the confession of Peter is one. This is why there is great diversity with Catholic theologians. However, the Protestants broke from the Roman Catholic church because they believed that the Roman Catholic church taught a gospel contray to the Bible. Isn't that ironic?
Not ironic.....

80+ Books includes:
Women Prophetess.
End of Daniel and it's prayer.
Maccabees 3/4 (released in 1977) - contains abomination of desolation.
Plus loads of other points.

So to mark people with 66 books and then to call that ironic is the pure blinding power of the beast, that isn't.

FatMan

No offense, but why is this thread directed only at Christians? Are you saying as a collective group that Christians don't understand the manuscript that they base their Faith off of very well? If one were to take subsets of most religions, you would see this to be the case. What about religions that only encompass oral history and tradition? Are those people complete non-believers?

If find these types of threads to be aggravating because they are slamming one group based on the biased observations of the thread starter. Unless you believe that only those who read and understand A TRANSLATED VERSION of the bible make good "christians", then you miss the whole point on what Christianity is.

No offense, but why is this thread directed only at Christians? Are you saying as a collective group that Christians don't understand the manuscript that they base their Faith off of very well? If one were to take subsets of most religions, you would see this to be the case. What about religions that only encompass oral history and tradition? Are those people complete non-believers?

If find these types of threads to be aggravating because they are slamming one group based on the biased observations of the thread starter. Unless you believe that only those who read and understand A TRANSLATED VERSION of the bible make good "christians", then you miss the whole point on what Christianity is.

Could you please share two or three major themes about Christianity?

FatMan

Could you please share two or three major themes about Christianity?

I would hate to restrict it to two or three since religious themes are more complex, but if I had to sum it up nicely, as you are asking for, I'd say salvation and grace are two recurring themes. I'd also say love, but that is more interpretive. Christians are asked to recognize God's love and respond by loving god with their hearts, as well as loving their neighbors and themselves.

To try and pigeon-hole a religion into two or three themes is not only disingenuous, it's pretty ignorant, as well.