• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How well do Christians know their Bible?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Whilst the Bible can be an amazing teaching resource,it is not the basis of Christianity.

Christianity is based on the life and teachings and sacrifice of Jesus, both as it has come down to us in writing and in through the enlightened Verbal tradition of the Church.
You do not Identify a Christian by how much of the Bible he has memorized; nor by how much of it he seems to understand.
You Identify a Christian by how he lives his life, how he treats others, and the visible love he shows to God through his love for others.

You will note none of this includes his impression of himself, or what he says about himself.
Whether he says he is born again or saved, will neither impresses others nor will it impress God. God Knows the very state of our soul.

I would hate to restrict it to two or three since religious themes are more complex, but if I had to sum it up nicely, as you are asking for, I'd say salvation and grace are two recurring themes. I'd also say love, but that is more interpretive. Christians are asked to recognize God's love and respond by loving god with their hearts, as well as loving their neighbors and themselves.

To try and pigeon-hole a religion into two or three themes is not only disingenuous, it's pretty ignorant, as well.

I think the Apostle Paul nailed Christianity to Christ and Him crucified, don't you agree?

Whilst the Bible can be an amazing teaching resource,it is not the basis of Christianity.

Christianity is based on the life and teachings and sacrifice of Jesus, both as it has come down to us in writing and in through the enlightened Verbal tradition of the Church.
You do not Identify a Christian by how much of the Bible he has memorized; nor by how much of it he seems to understand.
You Identify a Christian by how he lives his life, how he treats others, and the visible love he shows to God through his love for others.

You will note none of this includes his impression of himself, or what he says about himself.
Whether he says he is born again or saved, will neither impresses others nor will it impress God. God Knows the very state of our soul.

I think the Apostle Paul would not be considered a Christian if we judge it by his fruits, behavior, and lack of unity with non-Christians. Please consider Romans chapter 7 and his confession of being a wretched man.

FatMan

I think the Apostle Paul nailed Christianity to Christ and Him crucified, don't you agree?

What does that have to do with my response??

Apparently you aren't interested in hearing about themes and would rather proceed roughshod in floating out an obvious agenda.

I'm quickly finding rhetorical questions as thread starters to be wholly useless.

What does that have to do with my response??

Apparently you aren't interested in hearing about themes and would rather proceed roughshod in floating out an obvious agenda.

I'm quickly finding rhetorical questions as thread starters to be wholly useless.

I knew of a non-denominational bible college in southern California. The most popular class was a class called "proclaiming Christ to Christians".

FatMan

I knew of a non-denominational bible college in southern California. The most popular class was a class called "proclaiming Christ to Christians".

Are you trying to make a habit of not responding to my points? It sure seems like it. Perhaps I should go on as relevant of a tangent:

I had an egg over easy for breakfast today. Washed it down with a glass of OJ.

I would hate to restrict it to two or three since religious themes are more complex, but if I had to sum it up nicely, as you are asking for, I'd say salvation and grace are two recurring themes. I'd also say love, but that is more interpretive. Christians are asked to recognize God's love and respond by loving god with their hearts, as well as loving their neighbors and themselves.

To try and pigeon-hole a religion into two or three themes is not only disingenuous, it's pretty ignorant, as well.

Sorry, I missed reading your post above. I think I agree with your two reocurring themes! I also agree that God's love is poured out in the hearts of Christians, enabling them to love others with God's love, to the praise and glory of God.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I think the Apostle Paul would not be considered a Christian if we judge it by his fruits, behavior, and lack of unity with non-Christians. Please consider Romans chapter 7 and his confession of being a wretched man.

If it were not for Paul going out and preaching to the gentiles, and setting up churches,
There probably would be no Christianity today with out his work.The Church in Jerusalem made little progress in converting the Jews.

Did Paul get any thing wrong....?
For a man who never had the benefit of learning at Jesus feet ... of course he did...
did he consider himself a sinner ...? Like all of us men he was a sinner.
Confession is necessary for Forgiveness...and he confessed.

Do I agree with all Paul's teachings...? No...some ...? Yes

He is a Saint.... I am most certainly not. That puts it into perspective.

If it were not for Paul going out and preaching to the gentiles, and setting up churches,
There probably would be no Christianity today with out his work.The Church in Jerusalem made little progress in converting the Jews.

Did Paul get any thing wrong....?
For a man who never had the benefit of learning at Jesus feet ... of course he did...
did he consider himself a sinner ...? Like all of us men he was a sinner.
Confession is necessary for Forgiveness...and he confessed.

Do I agree with all Paul's teachings...? No...some ...? Yes

He is a Saint.... I am most certainly not. That puts it into perspective.

I think would say that I am what I am by the grace of God. He also called himself the worst of all sinners. Why would Paul be a saint and you are not?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Rom 14:19
(19) Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

Mat 7:15-16
(15) Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
(16) Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Luk 6:26
(26) Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

Jer 23:30-31
(30) Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that steal my words every one from his neighbour.
(31) Behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that use their tongues, and say, He saith.

Jer 23:34
(34) And as for the prophet, and the priest, and the people, that shall say, The burden of the LORD, I will even punish that man and his house.

may

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. John 5:28-29

I see em being raised to the ressurrection of damnation. They will be judged at the great white throne (Rev 20:11-15) according to their works - not good.
THE wages sin pays is death , the gift God gives is everlasting life through Jesus christ. the resurrection will take place on the paradise earth for the most of us , we are not judged on our past deeds but on how we live our lives AFTER our resurrection. the righteous ones have already died faithful to God so they are resurrected to everlasting life . the unrighteous will hopefully put themselves on a good standing with God and then they also will go on to have everlasting life in a paradise earth
Jehovah , He is the ultimate Judge of mankind.
He has, however, delegated the work of judging to Jesus Christ: "The Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the Son." (John 5:22)
God’s throne is "great," emphasizing Jehovah’s grandeur as Sovereign Lord, and it is "white," calling attention to his flawless righteousness.
"Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth. matthew 5;5
But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,​
And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.psalm 37;11

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Indeedly-deedly!:yes:

Free4all

It's all about the blood
THE wages sin pays is death , the gift God gives is everlasting life through Jesus christ. the resurrection will take place on the paradise earth for the most of us , we are not judged on our past deeds but on how we live our lives AFTER our resurrection. the righteous ones have already died faithful to God so they are resurrected to everlasting life . the unrighteous will hopefully put themselves on a good standing with God and then they also will go on to have everlasting life in a paradise earth
Jehovah , He is the ultimate Judge of mankind.
He has, however, delegated the work of judging to Jesus Christ: "The Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the Son." (John 5:22)
God’s throne is "great," emphasizing Jehovah’s grandeur as Sovereign Lord, and it is "white," calling attention to his flawless righteousness.
"Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth. matthew 5;5
But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,

And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.psalm 37;11

I don't understand,
Whats the paradise earth?
How we live our lives after the resurrection? life in the flesh is over after you're resurrected - how can you live your life (in the flesh) after your resurrected?
Who's the righteous ones that have already died faithful?

Ronald

Rev. 20:12 Books are opened,and another book was opened which is the book of Life: and the dead were judged by what was written in the books, by what they had done.
In Hebrew writings there are three books, the Righteous, the wicked and the intermidiates, the NT there are three kinds of people described, the Godly, the ungodly and those with a form of godliness.
Here we have "Books" being opened then another book which is the book of Life, that seems to add up to three, books (more than one) then another. Then the dead are judged by what is written in the books.
Jn. 5:24 tells that those it addresses by-pass judgement. The book of the wicked in Hebrew writings is sealed(already judged) leaving the Intermidiates or those with a form of godliness. So these are the ones judged by what was written in the book of the intermidiates, by what they had done.
And He the King of Kings and Lord of Lords has his reward with him!

may

I don't understand,
Whats the paradise earth?
How we live our lives after the resurrection? life in the flesh is over after you're resurrected - how can you live your life (in the flesh) after your resurrected?
Who's the righteous ones that have already died faithful?
it was Gods original purpose for humans to live forever on a paradise earth , as we all know the wicked one satan the devil put a spanner in the works, and now we are in a dieing state ROMANS 5;12 But no worries Gods purpose has not changed and it will be accomplished, right away God started the recovery process, and Jesus plays a very big part in that process. yes this earth will be brought back to paradise conditions and death will be swallowed up forever . yes we are well along into bible prophecy and soon all of the wicked will be removed. When Jesus was on the earth he showed on a small scale how easy it will be to resurrect people from the dead, but in the future paradise it will be on a large scale and all those in Gods memory will be resurrected . dont be misled into thinking that all good people go to heaven . only a little flock are going to heaven and the number of that little flock is 144,000 and they will be ruling with Jesus christ in the heavenly kingdom .But Jesus said that he would have OTHER SHEEEP that would listen to his voice
"Have no fear, little flock, because your Father has approved of giving you the kingdom."—LUKE 12:32.
And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those also I must bring, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one shepherd. John 10;16 these other sheep will not be going to heaven . these ones will inherit the earth .
The righteous themselves will possess the earth,
And they will reside forever upon it.psalm 37;29

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I find it very interesting that there are many different answers for questions asked to Christians. How well do Christians know their Bible? Let's see how many different answers we can have for the same question.

If someone dies without hearing the gospel, are they destined to eternal destruction? Maybe someone can post biblical passages to support their answer?

Simple answer with scripture. First John 3 17-18, "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.'

There is only one reason for what you call eternal destruction and that is rejecting Christ. Now about not having heard the Gospel...from Romans 1: 20:

" For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse..."

In other words everything created knows it's creator and has no excuse.

Simple answer with scripture. First John 3 17-18, "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.'

There is only one reason for what you call eternal destruction and that is rejecting Christ. Now about not having heard the Gospel...from Romans 1: 20:

" For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse..."

In other words everything created knows it's creator and has no excuse.

Would you say people are condemned prior to hearing the good news (Romans 10)? It seems Romans chapter 1, and chapter 2 is how Paul reconciles the guilt and condemnation of all..even those who never heard the gospel proclaimed and dies.
In addition, Romans 5 appears to teach original sin and the imputation of sin.

FFH

Veteran Member
Romans 5 appears to teach original sin and the imputation of sin.
How could you possibly misread this verse and state the opposite of what it actually says ????

Romans 5:13

...sin is not imputed to those who have no law.

There is no Biblical basis for "original sin".