• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Would You React If At The End Of The Day Atheism Was Right?

UnTheist

I wouldn't react at all. I would have ceased to exist and would have no knowledge of the fact, much less an opinion. I'll say this, though... I'd rather be in the position of being a theist and finding out that atheism was right than the other way around. ;)
Yeah, that would suck.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I don't understand your analogy at all.
Theism: Do work/good/whatever, get rewarded/"paid" in the afterlife.
Atheism: Do work/good/whatever, get no reward/payment.
Volunteer: Do work/good/whatever, get no reward/payment.

Does that make it any easier?

EDIT: I read madhatter's original comment with the "nothing happens" remark as meaning that when you die, it doesn't matter what you do in life, because there will be no reward for it.

AslanDesu

the end of consciousness forever kind of sucks. So ya I'd probably be doing highly 'interesting' things once a month atleast. Nothing could be perfect however and make up for an end to it all.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
I'll be really annoying and say....
He does exist, so His non- existence isn't something I think about.

That is, unless I'm talking about His possible non-existence even though He does exist. So I guess I'm thinking about it now.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess I wouldn't react at all, by the time I realized it was right I wouldn't exist anymore :cover:

UnTheist

He does exist, so His non- existence isn't something I think about.

That is, unless I'm talking about His possible non-existence even though He does exist. So I guess I'm thinking about it now.
He doesn't exist, so His existence isn't something I think about.

That is, unless I'm talking about His possible existence even though He doesn't exist.
So I guess I'm thinking about it now.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
He doesn't exist, so His existence isn't something I think about.

That is, unless I'm talking about His possible existence even though He doesn't exist.
So I guess I'm thinking about it now.

lol...nice:).

Hope

Princesinha
Well....if it were hypothetically possible to prove without a doubt that God does not exist (without dying first), then I would first give in to total despair, then after moping for a long, long time, get off my bum and fill my life up with as many amazing experiences as I could. And I would strive to make the world a better place too, while I'm at it. Might as well make my meager existence somewhat meaningful.

SoyLeche

meh...
Theism: Do work/good/whatever, get rewarded/"paid" in the afterlife.
Atheism: Do work/good/whatever, get no reward/payment.
Volunteer: Do work/good/whatever, get no reward/payment.

Does that make it any easier?

EDIT: I read madhatter's original comment with the "nothing happens" remark as meaning that when you die, it doesn't matter what you do in life, because there will be no reward for it.
But you do get paid/rewarded for doing volunteer work, just not with money (a good feeling, the smiles of those who you help, etc). Otherwise you wouldn't do it. And even atheists get rewards/payments/consequences for their actions while here in this world.

I think he meant more along the lines of - there would be no reaction upon finding out because you wouldn't exist anymore anyway. I don't think he was talking about being rewarded for good works at all.