• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How's the Weather?

Rakhel

We have Cats and and a few comedys and the new red riding hood movie we haven't seen yet. So it is defiantly a stay home weekend.
50 mph that's trop storm winds. gahhhh. all this freaking out. I probably shouldn't say much.

There are evac across NYC and Long Island. NY really is not prone to these storms. Me, living in MS for 12 yrs, see 50 mph as nothing more than a strong summer storm.
But here, EVACs are ordered and MRIs are issued, shelters are opening. . I know, I know. Irene can build strength but still, these people are acting as if she is a cat 4.

Edit: She is still a Cat 1. winds are 85 mph. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIAPWSAT4+shtml/221504.shtml
With 2 deaths reported so far. One a surfer, the other a tree fell on him/her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Rakhel, be safe - stay indoors!

But you know what ticks me off? I just heard the Weather Channel say "this is the most costly storm to ever hit the United States." For starters, how do they even know that? Also, if so, I believe that cost is largely man made.

I have family in the New Orleans area who lost everything in Hurricane Katrina. There are towns along the Gulf Coast which simply aren't THERE anymore. Thousands of people lost their lives and many more thousands lost their homes and all their belongings. There are STILL displaced people who are trying to rebuild their lives and their towns and cities along the Gulf Coast.

THIS is hurricane damage:

biloxi.jpg

katrina_new_orleans.jpg

ap_bush_katrina_591.jpg

I think our media latches on to anything they can to hype up and bring in revenue. People need to take precautions of course, but we get so much hyped up news that when a truly dangerous situation comes along we've been desensitized.

No wonder most people aren't evacuating - even if they should be. Seems like Chicken Little running through the streets hollering "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

We'll see how it plays out.

Right now Hampton Roads and Virginia Beach are in the middle of all this, and the sustained winds are at about 45, with gusts of 60 or so.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The media must sensationalize upcoming news. Accuracy takes a back seat to hyperbole & histrionics.

As for Revoltistan, the skeeters are so thick, that even though I'm wearing mosquito netting outside, the darn
little blood suckers still get in & fly right into my mouth. I wonder if they understand the poetic justice of that?

Rakhel

By NY standards? Because it is shutting down MTA and NJ trasit and Amtrac. That's all.
Oh and the Hampton's, can't forget the Hamptons and Fire Island. One of the few nude beaches in the state.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
By NY standards? Because it is shutting down MTA and NJ trasit and Amtrac. That's all.
Oh and the Hampton's, can't forget the Hamptons and Fire Island. One of the few nude beaches in the state.
A print copy of the NY Times from the future fell thru a wormhole in space in time, landing upon my doorstep this morning.
Apparently, the entire country was flattened in thermonuclear warfare, because there was the headline......
DONALD TRUMP AND TWO HUNDRED MILLION OTHER PEOPLE KILLED

Kathryn

You know what this reminds me of? It reminds me of when we get two inches of snow here in the South, and people from the north and midwest make fun of us for being shocked and incapacitated.

It's news because people don't know how to deal with it and don't have the infrastructure in place. Same in both scenarios.

They keep talking like there will be sustained ninety mph winds in NYC and I'm sorry, but I just don't see it - it's already barely a Category 1 hurricane and it's not going to be traveling across large uninterrupted stretches of ocean which increases the strength.

So far there's actually very little wind damage. But - tall buildings do carry unique risks because the wind will be stronger - and I can see that falling glass could be a real danger.

So - stay indoors. That makes a lot of sense to me.

And have fun. When Hurricane Ike came through here a few years ago (and took most of our roof off) it was actually a pretty cool day. We have a generator so we were able to stay indoors with the blinds wide open, watching trees bend sideways and rain "fall" horizontally for hours. It was pretty exciting.

Of course, after five days of no electricity (a generator will only go so far), and just as many days of chain sawing, the novelty had worn completely off!

Rakhel

I lived thru Ivan and Georges and many others. Under a bridge(because my grandfather felt safer there).

But you're right Kathyn. It is news worthy to have something happen that normally doesn't. When a blizzard threatens to hit, people scoff at it. you can still find bread, milk and eggs on the shelves. but a hurricane? lines down the isles to check out. In the south a hurricane comes thru and the only thing hard to come by is wood.
It's really the flooding that is scaring most people now.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Theres no worry of flooding here in Philly. But the Hurricane is forcing Jersey and Philly to shut down. Jersey more panicing then us, but its still hectic out.

Im mostly worried about losing electricity.

Kathryn

Yep, the electricity thing is huge - and not only an inconvenience, but the lack of electricity can be life threatening over time, in our urban environments.

Y'all be safe.

Flankerl

We had glorious weather on shabbat.

Rain, sunshine, rain, sunshine, rain, sunshine, rain, sunshine, rain, sunshine, rain, sunshine, rain, sunshine, rain........................

croak

Trickster
The pouring rain, the thunder and lightning... I love it. :D Sounds like a waterfall outside.

I might change my mind if it lasts for a week or more, but it never does.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Currently about 25F here, but supposed to get up to lower 40s. And very sunny. Not a cloud to be seen. Supposed to be like this for the next few days. Lovely. :)

croak

Trickster
15°C here, or 59 °F. I miss snow, though. Maybe I'll go up in the mountains sometime this holiday.

Sgloom

its a perfect day here in los angeles, clears skies, and ever so light breeze, probably around 72-75F. beautiful day for sure!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I had just a little bit of snow on the way home. Not a blizzard, just enough to make things feel... festive.

And I think it's around -4 C. Not sure offhand what that is in Foreignheit. :D