• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HUMANIANITY: THE RELIGION FOR EVERYONE

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
But that is what your stereotyping is causing.

No, you're still missing the point. I'm basically just asking "What's it for?" What is basically the purpose of Humanianity? To use corporate jargon, what's your mission statement? A brief summary is what I'm looking for. If you had to produce a short TV commercial, what would it say?
Or if it was on Wiki, what would the introductory paragraph say?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Van Fleet

No, you're still missing the point. I'm basically just asking "What's it for?" What is basically the purpose of Humanianity? To use corporate jargon, what's your mission statement? A brief summary is what I'm looking for. If you had to produce a short TV commercial, what would it say?

It is for promoting not only the survival of our species but also as much joy, contentment, and appreciation as possible and as little pain, suffering, disability, and early death as possible, for everyone, now and in the future.

Bill Van Fleet

What if we humans had the feeling of membership in our species, with its ultimate ethical principle, with the same fervor as the members of ISIS?

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Salaam Alecheem....Salek...I agree that Humananianism is really utilitarianism in disguise....actually, it is really....humanism !!!

Owww... my eyes...
Humanianity needs a web designer, stat!!

So this seems defined by the REUEP, which is: "WE SHOULD DO THAT WHICH WILL PROMOTE NOT ONLY THE SURVIVAL OF OUR SPECIES, BUT ALSO AS MUCH JOY, CONTENTMENT, AND APPRECIATION (JCA) AS POSSIBLE AND AS LITTLE PAIN, SUFFERING, DISABILITY, AND EARLY DEATH (PSDED) AS POSSIBLE, FOR EVERYONE, NOW AND IN THE FUTURE."

I think this viewpoint already has a word, though. This is describing Utilitarianism which, like you describe Humanianity, isn't a religion so much as an ethics system.

Bill Van Fleet

Salaam Alecheem....Salek...I agree that Humananianism is really utilitarianism in disguise....actually, it is really....humanism !!!
That is a way to discount Humanianity. But the definitions are actually different, as I have pointed out. Some definitions of "humanism" make it sound very Humanian, whereas others do not.

In our effort to discount things, one method is to say, "Oh X, why X is just A, and we have already disposed of A. So we don't have to evaluate X in its own right. And we don't need another A."

Avi1001

That is a way to discount Humanianity. But the definitions are actually different, as I have pointed out. Some definitions of "humanism" make it sound very Humanian, whereas others do not.

In our effort to discount things, one method is to say, "Oh X, why X is just A, and we have already disposed of A. So we don't have to evaluate X in its own right. And we don't need another A."
Hi Bill...no discount requested....this thread is now 26 posts and you have not given one example of how Humananianism is different from humanism !!!

AllanV

All of recorded history shows wars, conflicts almost with out any break.
A certain idealism is obvious in what is proposed but it doesn't get to the core of the problem.
What is in the mind of man that he now stands poised to act in one hour with weaponry that can destroy all life on this planet.

Bill Van Fleet

Hi Bill...no discount requested....this thread is now 26 posts and you have not given one example of how Humananianism is different from humanism !!!
For one, it has one definition. "Humanism" has a number of definitions, and none of them are the same as that of "Humanianity." So that is the most important difference. Other answers would depend on which definition of "humanism" one chose. I believe Humanianity deserves to be evaluated in its own right.

Bill Van Fleet

All of recorded history shows wars, conflicts almost with out any break.
A certain idealism is obvious in what is proposed but it doesn't get to the core of the problem.
What is in the mind of man that he now stands poised to act in one hour with weaponry that can destroy all life on this planet.

Yes, you are right. But you have not explored the concept of the third exponential change that our species is just beginning to undergo. There is no guarantee that we will accomplish it, but the chances are not zero. I am working on promoting that change, and am asking you to join me.

FOR EVERYONE: Rational-Ethical Living | Introduction

Avi1001

For one, it has one definition. "Humanism" has a number of definitions, and none of them are the same as that of "Humanianity." So that is the most important difference. Other answers would depend on which definition of "humanism" one chose. I believe Humanianity deserves to be evaluated in its own right.
Bill...Bill...Bill....Ph.D. In Psychology....we expected more.

This is like saying the difference between an apple and an orange is their definitions...:D....can you do better than that ?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If you look at everything we call a "religion," however, the common denominator, the defining characteristic, is the adult study of how to be a good person.
I would suggest this is sadly superficial and that the defining characteristic of religion is "the impulse for coherence and meaning." (Tuan, Yi-Fu. 1976; Humanistic geography: Annals of the Association of American Geographers 66:266–76).

Bill Van Fleet

Bill...Bill...Bill....Ph.D. In Psychology....we expected more.

This is like saying the difference between an apple and an orange is their definitions...:D....can you do better than that ?

No. I don't understand what you are looking for. What would be an example of the kind of statement you are looking for?

AllanV

Yes, you are right. But you have not explored the concept of the third exponential change that our species is just beginning to undergo. There is no guarantee that we will accomplish it, but the chances are not zero. I am working on promoting that change, and am asking you to join me.

FOR EVERYONE: Rational-Ethical Living | Introduction

I had a quick look at the link and it is very wordy. I once took on the task of writing one A4 page on what the Bible is all about.
The part about how people sometimes do bad and sometimes good and how it makes people feel was read.
The story of Adam and Eve is how they took on a consciousness which humans follow and now have to do good and evil to be balanced. We would not know what good is if evil was not seen or done. It is by degrees. It is all something of an experimental and experiential continuing on in the inadvertent or purposeful drama of life. People do things to see how far they can go and get away with. It is a bit like risk taking.
It is not obvious in the mind everyone is caught up in it and it will not end unless there is supernatural intervention.

Bill Van Fleet

I would suggest this is sadly superficial and that the defining characteristic of religion is "the impulse for coherence and meaning." (Tuan, Yi-Fu. 1976; Humanistic geography: Annals of the Association of American Geographers 66:266–76).

And I would say that if you look at everything that we have called a "religion," although most religions have that as a component, the more defining characteristic is as I have said. Also, that definition is very ambiguous. What do those words mean? "Impulse" I would assume means "desire." But what does "coherence" mean (in this case), and what does "meaning" mean (in this case)? I assume you mean some way of imagining the nature of the world that makes one feel good, or less bad. Would that be right?

Bill Van Fleet

I had a quick look at the link and it is very wordy. I once took on the task of writing one A4 page on what the Bible is all about.
The part about how people sometimes do bad and sometimes good and how it makes people feel was read.
The story of Adam and Eve is how they took on a consciousness which humans follow and now have to do good and evil to be balanced. We would not know what good is if evil was not seen or done. It is by degrees. It is all something of an experimental and experiential continuing on in the inadvertent or purposeful drama of life. People do things to see how far they can go and get away with. It is a bit like risk taking.
It is not obvious in the mind everyone is caught up in it and it will not end unless there is supernatural intervention.
A quick look at what I have been working on for decades will not offer you a chance to evaluate it. The words are necessary to prevent the inevitable tendency to misunderstand and stereotype. The material involves thinking new thoughts, and that is always difficult. Most people will not, currently, have such motivation. I am reaching out to the few.

AllanV

A quick look at what I have been working on for decades will not offer you a chance to evaluate it. The words are necessary to prevent the inevitable tendency to misunderstand and stereotype. The material involves thinking new thoughts, and that is always difficult. Most people will not, currently, have such motivation. I am reaching out to the few.

I looked at some more, but you have a problem that you realize. People are lazy researchers and will base most of everything on opinions. What are needed are practitioners and it depends on their integrity and energy.
If it all becomes psychology and social work. Burn out is highly likely.
What you are putting out is a religion and I read that is actually what you have said.

Bill Van Fleet

I looked at some more, but you have a problem that you realize. People are lazy researchers and will base most of everything on opinions. What are needed are practitioners and it depends on their integrity and energy.
If it all becomes psychology and social work. Burn out is highly likely.
What you are putting out is a religion and I read that is actually what you have said.

Well, it is a religious movement, a movement within the religions and within our species generally, that I am simply trying to call attention to so that we can more consciously promote that movement.

It is not just another religion to compete with the others.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What readily available place have adults always gone to study how to be a good person?

What readily available place have adults always gone to study the way the world is?
<yawn>

Again, believe as you wish. I am neither inspired nor bemused by your designer religion.
</yawn>