• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humanity would be better without emotions

Massimo2002

Emotions cause immense suffering and evil. We would be better without emotions completely. I know that this scares people because it's the truth.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Emotions cause immense suffering and evil. We would be better without emotions completely. I know that this scares people because it's the truth.
Emotions are what gets you out of bed in the morning. Without emotions, you wouldn't have a reason to get up.
I'm a very rational person (compared to other humans), I also suffer from depressions.

The solution isn't to eliminate emotions, but to understand them and to manage them.

Massimo2002

Emotions are what gets you out of bed in the morning. Without emotions, you wouldn't have a reason to get up.
I'm a very rational person (compared to other humans), I also suffer from depressions.

The solution isn't to eliminate emotions, but to understand them and to manage them.
I disagree emotions cause hatred and meanness so to me it's just not worth it.

Massimo2002

One slight problem. As per the header and this post of yours, better and worth are in the end emotions. So you have to find another way to express what it is you want without using emotions, if that is your idea.
But better can exist independently from emotions.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I disagree emotions cause hatred and meanness so to me it's just not worth it.
Emotions also cause (better are) love and tenderness. There are positive emotions and some emotions are detrimental and can lead to destructive behaviour. That's why we have controlling rationality, not to negate the negative emotions, but to manage them.

Massimo2002

Emotions also cause (better are) love and tenderness. There are positive emotions and some emotions are detrimental and can lead to destructive behaviour. That's why we have controlling rationality, not to negate the negative emotions, but to manage them.
I think that the bad outweighs the good.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Understand the context in which emotionality evolved. It was biologically selective and useful for most of our history.
As a species we're in a unique position, having removed ourselves from our original habitats and cultures. Many of the psychological features than once served us well in small bands on the plains of Africa or forests of Europe have become dysfunctional, and should be recognized as so, and compensated for.
We're fish out of water. Many of our natural drives and reactions need to be recognized as dysfunctional, and suppressed or modified.

Last edited:

Massimo2002

Understand the context in which emotionality evolved. It was biologically selective and useful for most of our history.
As a species we're in a unique position, having removed ourselves from our original habitats and cultures. Many of the psychological features than once served us well on the plains of Africa or forests of Europe have become dysfunctional, and should be recognized as so, and compensated for.
We're fish out of water. Many of our natural drives and reactions need to be recognized as dysfunctional, and suppressed or modified.
I dislike your naturalist evolution answers they are emotionally unsatisfactory to me.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I'd be dead now if it weren't for the emotions of other people.

Long live emotions.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I dislike your naturalist evolution answers they are emotionally unsatisfactory to me.
That may be true, but so what? Emotional reactions don't change the facts. True things are often emotionally unsettling.
What alternative facts or interpretations account for the observed reality?

Massimo2002

That may be true, but so what? Emotional reactions don't change the facts. True things are often emotionally unsettling.
What alternative facts or interpretations account for the observed reality?
Religious people who disbelieve in evolution and believe in a spiritual realm those are the alternative views.