• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunting? Immoral?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The most overpopulated animal is, arguably, us.
Is it OK to cull our herd? Would it be wrong to let the culled individuals go to waste?

one cannot help but wonder if we actually should.
though I bet you would get more argument out of the who than you will out of the if.

It would be an interesting condition to put on the hunting of humans...
that you have to eat those you kill....

One wonders if that would cull the hunger for killing others...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
History hints otherwise, I think.
The Romans, for example, loved their blood sports, but it seems the more they got the more jaded they became and the more they wanted.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you..

Some silly comparisons there. Do you honestly think a human can commit rape and cold blooded murder and not have something emotionally and psychologically wrong with them?

How many studies have been done recently on cannibalistic societies? How do you know that the people in those communities we emotionally or psychologically scarred? In fact, how do we know that the level of psychological harm caused through killing humans isn't greatly to do with the fact that murder is considered a horrible act in almost every culture? The kind of distress a person experiences from committing such an act seems to reflect just how much they believe it is wrong and how they will be perceived by the other people in their society. I guess we need to start studying some cannibals.

As for rape, I do not think that there would have to be something psychologically wrong. Men have been raping women for the entirety of human history. In our contemporary society, it is considered wrong and men are more aware and caring of the effects their actions may have on women. So today, with these understandings and changed culture, it may take an unstable man to commit such an act.

But hunting prey for sustenance is a healthy, normal biological drive and function. And of course human culture isn't a gauge for something being natural or healthy, as human culture is often the exact opposite. I never suggested that it was.

Is the biological drive to hunt and kill prey not simply come about from necessity? I can honestly say that I have never had such an urge, nor such a fantasy, or any such related inclination. In fact, being a vegetarian, I have happened to know many vegetarians and can tell you that for them, hunting and killing animals is neither a pleasing or natural desire or urge and it also, in a number of cases, has caused psychological and emotional harm to those who were unfortunate enough to participate. In fact, the trauma of seeing and participating in the killing of animal is one reason why many people have become vegetarian.

This differs greatly to other animals, like cats for example, who despite there being no necessity to hunt (if their owner feed them well) still have the urge to hunt and kill.

As a result, I am highly sceptical of arguments that claim humans in general have urges to hunt and kill. I find this to be a very relative human experience, one influenced by a number of factors. Necessity being a big one.

Neither did I suggest that something being unnatural was immoral.

No, but you are arguing that if something is natural then it must also be moral. Wouldn't that imply that if something is unnatural that it is immoral? That is why I included unnatural aspects of our society in my argument.

My main argument is that just because something is natural, does not mean that it is moral. If hunting animals for food were a necessity, then one could argue very well that it is moral- I believe that when it comes to saving one's own life, almost anything can be justified, including killing another human being. But if hunting and killing animals is not a necessity, then the act is not moral because what you are doing is causing suffering for your own personal (selfish) satisfaction. And this is the crux of the concept of morality. To give consideration to others, in terms of negative and positive consequences of actions and intentions. And morality is not limited to humans.

What a vegetarian (many, though not all) does is make the decision to extend his moral consideration to animals, recognising that to kill for food in his or her situation is not necessary. Many of these people have natural affectionate inclinations toward animals, recognising that other species are not too different from humans after all and caring about the suffering that they experience, just as a human would (empathy).

I can perhaps understand how you may come away from this discussion and still feel justified in eating your meat- and I won't judge you negatively. But I do not understand how you could come away still feeling that the vegetarian's reasoning is 'baseless'.

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The most overpopulated animal is, arguably, us.
Is it OK to cull our herd? Would it be wrong to let the culled individuals go to waste?

I guess you missed it. After World War Two, Americans came home victorious from the war and made babies. The baby boomers where growing up and where having a hard time finding jobs. We as a country became involved in a "conflict" which thinned the herds to the tune of over 53,000 people. Most where drafted.

In more recent times, one can look to Haiti or Darfur.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Would you please be so kind as to present your source of where the Romans were required to eat the people they killed?

"One wonders if that would cull the hunger for killing others" = One wonders if that would quench the avid desire to inflict lethal violence on other people.

My point was that violence does not seem to assuage the desire for more violence. The long standing Roman love of violent bloodsport was just an an example.

Last edited by a moderator:

sniper762

take note that "culling a herd" of game animals is not legal. a wildlife depidation permit must be issued by the state. if granted, the animals may not be used in any way.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
"One wonders if that would cull the hunger for killing others" = One wonders if that would quench the avid desire to inflict lethal violence on other people.

My point was that violence does not seem to assuage the desire for more violence. The long standing Roman love of violent bloodsport was just an an example.

And my point was that if people had to eat those whom they killed perhaps it would cull the hunger for killing.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is the biological drive to hunt and kill prey not simply come about from necessity? I can honestly say that I have never had such an urge, nor such a fantasy, or any such related inclination. In fact, being a vegetarian, I have happened to know many vegetarians and can tell you that for them, hunting and killing animals is neither a pleasing or natural desire or urge and it also, in a number of cases, has caused psychological and emotional harm to those who were unfortunate enough to participate. In fact, the trauma of seeing and participating in the killing of animal is one reason why many people have become vegetarian.

This differs greatly to other animals, like cats for example, who despite there being no necessity to hunt (if their owner feed them well) still have the urge to hunt and kill.

As a result, I am highly sceptical of arguments that claim humans in general have urges to hunt and kill. I find this to be a very relative human experience, one influenced by a number of factors. Necessity being a big one.
This is true.

Many physical features of humans, ranging from teeth to length of digestion system to acidity and various other factors are much, much more similar to that of a herbivore than to that of a carnivore. It's useful for our species that they are omnivores that can eat meat, but most of the body is suited for foods not derived from animals.

Most humans do not have an urge to hunt. To many people, the idea of killing an animal, gutting it, and all that, is gross. And for the most part, the idea of eating raw meat is disgusting to humans, but to every other carnivore, it is desirable. Unlike most vegetables, where cooking is an option to make it tastier, the cooking of meat is considered a necessity due to the disgust of raw, bloody meat from the bone.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Are you saying that killing animals to save them from being killed is ok? lol...

Jessica Rabbit: ...I hit him in the head with a frying pan and put him in the trunk... so he wouldn't get hurt.
Eddie Valiant: Makes perfect sense.​

dust1n

Zindīq
It seems more than fair to say that. Widespread undernourishment would be a symptom of overpopulation.
It depends upon what one's goals are. Mine is not the maximizing the number of humans on Earth. I'd prefer
some balance with a higher quality of life for fewer people.

Understandable. So, the when does the 'overpopulation' even get drawn?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
They'd just develop a varied and delicious hominid cuisine......:shrug:

Well, they just might at that.
But then, we would likely not need to worry about over population.
However, under population might become an issue...