• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am designing a new religion, any ideas?

royol

I would like to design the perfect religion, nothing too outlandish, I want it simple enough to appeal to most people but sophisticated enough not to laughed at, it need not be directed at any one group, ie., tall or short, fat or thin, I feel it should be inclusive of everyone, no exceptions, I don't want just stupid people, I want to give people something they can feel proud of, so I welcome all honest suggestions, what should I include or exclude?

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
Universal respect for all life
dogma which requires followers to challenge beleifs they do not agree to and to explore personal feelings.
No threats of eternal suffering

PureX

Veteran Member
It's going to be very difficult to design something without first identifying it's purpose. I think you need to figure out what the purpose of this new religion will be.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Are there any religious ideas or concepts that you admire? My advice would be to steal all the good ideas that other people have had and call them your own.

It worked for Bill Gates.

joeboonda

mr.guy said:
Why? Do you need some extra hands to help spruce up yours?

Lol, no, just too many darned religions already, lol. I just kidding around, anyway, I don't have a religion, not by my definition anyway.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Royol you want to 'design' a religion? The 'perfect' religion? Don't waste your time! There are thousands upon thousands of cults and we have more than enough major world religions. If your intention is to help people in some way then just do it. If thats not your intention at all, and I have to wonder what you'd get out of starting the perfect religion, then I have some random suggestions: -

Read some of the better books on the psychology of religion. Work out what sort of things you could include for the maximum meme hooks. Don't worry if these seem primitive, the people vulnerable enough to join your cult won't care.

Read some of the better books on marketing, propaganda and manipulation. Work out how you could give your cult an appealing 'aura'. For instance, play on people's disillusionment with their lives by offering them some fad alternative. You don't have to deliver anything of real worth. Appearance is more important than substance because that's what most people care about in their own lives. They've been conditioned to do so. Glamour is the key!

Take some traditional forms of meditation, prayer or contemplative exercises. Mess with the methods only slightly but warp the symbols so it looks different. Claim your system is better than anyone elses.

Most people like feel good morality that puts them above others but not too much reality. Make sure you're seen to be clean by the standards of that populist morality so that you can take the moral high ground & turn the group mind against any bright spark free-thinkers that challenge your authority. If they've got that way they've bound to have done something that would be considered shameful.

Write a lot about your new cult. Always invent new exotic terms for old ideas. They should be dodgy and mostly defunct ideas otherwise people will realise they're not new. Make sure you publish enough books on a wide enough range of subjects that people can just buy buy buy without having to resort to literature from outside.

Give your cult a hierarchical structure with graded levels of priviledge and status so as to create a vicious pecking order. People love power games, they just can't let go once they get a taste.

I hope you've got a lot of charisma. If not, hire people who do and get a good PR department. Also, target popular musicians & actors/actresses by flattering their egos and spoiling them.

Don't sleep with members of your cult. Its far too human. No one ever forgives idols for being that. Go out with supermodels instead. You can destroy people's lives, lie to them, take their money, etc. but never let yourself be seen to be human.