• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am practically indistinguishable from god.

Shermana

Heretic
We know the Hebrew worshiped Asherah, so they had a God and Goddess, which would account for the "elohiym" creating in their image, male and female.

They also worshiped many other gods, the prophets are mostly against the pagan practices of the apostate Israelites. Just because Ashterath was one of the many they worshiped by no means indicates that she was the defacto only other god(dess) in question here, or that the Elohim in Genesis 1 only indicates her and "Baal" by that logic. It's not like the Hebrews worshiping Ashteroth as one of the many deities they adopted (like Chemosh of the Moabites, or "Moloch" of the Canaanites) somehow indicates who was being referred to there.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Genesis 1:27 (NIV)
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

If true, then man must closely resemble god. Very closely.

If we make anything so as to closely resemble something else, typically the two are pretty much indistinguishable. So evidently we and god are pretty much indistinguishable.

Anyone care to start enumerating all these various similarities, because I don't see nearly that many.
You know... you do kinda look like him.

apophenia

So does god have a penis, or a vagina, or is s/he hermaphrodite, or what ?

Did Jesus wake up with an erection every morning ? What did he do about it ?

Is it wrong to think about Jesus masturbating ?

What would he be thinking about while he was masturbating ?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

If we make anything so as to closely resemble something else, typically the two are pretty much indistinguishable. So evidently we and god are pretty much indistinguishable.

Anyone care to start enumerating all these various similarities, because I don't see nearly that many.

Psalm 39:6 Hebrew Concordance: b "image" Strong's 6754
From a root word meaning to shade, phantom

Guess what? When I look at my shadow I can not see my vagina. No matter how hard I try I will never see my vagina in my shadow. Maybe that is why men lead this mess for they can actually see their penis in their shadow but they might look awful silly trying.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You know... you do kinda look like him.

The big guy hisself?
15808703-smiley-emoticons-face-vector--blushing.jpg
Ah, go on.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Psalm 39:6 Hebrew Concordance: b "image" Strong's 6754

Guess what? When I look at my shadow I can not see my vagina. No matter how hard I try I will never see my vagina in my shadow. Maybe that is why men lead this mess for they can actually see their penis in their shadow but they might look awful silly trying.

Psalm 39:6 ? This is how I translate it.

Psalm 39:6 Assuredly in illusion walks man; therefore in vanity and tumult he amasses gain, not knowing whom will end up with it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The same word "image" is used at Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Psalm 39:6 Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it

Posters are hung up on "image' meaning the way a person looks. I say it means how a person goes along.

Akin to yalak; a primitive root; to walk (in a great variety of applications, literally and figuratively) -- (all) along, apace, behave (self), come, (on) continually, be conversant, depart, + be eased, enter, exercise (self), + follow, forth, forward, get, go (about, abroad, along, away, forward, on, out, up and down), + greater, grow, be wont to haunt, lead, march, X more and more, move (self), needs, on, pass (away), be at the point, quite, run (along), + send, speedily, spread, still, surely, + tale-bearer, + travel(-ler), walk (abroad, on, to and fro, up and down, to places), wander, wax, (way-)faring man, X be weak, whirl.

Psalm 39:6 Hebrew Texts and Analysis

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The same word "image" is used at Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Psalm 39:6 Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it

Posters are hung up on "image' meaning the way a person looks. I say it means how a person goes along.

Akin to yalak; a primitive root; to walk (in a great variety of applications, literally and figuratively) -- (all) along, apace, behave (self), come, (on) continually, be conversant, depart, + be eased, enter, exercise (self), + follow, forth, forward, get, go (about, abroad, along, away, forward, on, out, up and down), + greater, grow, be wont to haunt, lead, march, X more and more, move (self), needs, on, pass (away), be at the point, quite, run (along), + send, speedily, spread, still, surely, + tale-bearer, + travel(-ler), walk (abroad, on, to and fro, up and down, to places), wander, wax, (way-)faring man, X be weak, whirl.

Psalm 39:6 Hebrew Texts and Analysis

Indeed, the same word, but one of the other definitions, in this case. Which is why I gave my translation of that text.

Psalm 39:6 Assuredly in illusion walks man; therefore in vanity and tumult he amasses gain, not knowing whom will end up with it.

In Bible speak - this is saying they don't understand their "Divine spark" = ILLUSION, therefore they amass earthly riches, not the riches that will get them to God.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, I agree with your interpretation Glory be!

But my point was that to be in God's image does not mean that humanity looks like God . I have been following the posts and the popular shared opinion is that "in the image of" means a copy of. God wants all of us to get to God. In other words more like a verb, less like a noun. Image as in what we are capable of, not what we look like.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Yes, I agree with your interpretation Glory be!

But my point was that to be in God's image does not mean that humanity looks like God . I have been following the posts and the popular shared opinion is that "in the image of" means a copy of. God wants all of us to get to God. In other words more like a verb, less like a noun. Image as in what we are capable of, not what we look like.

Well, you have to understand that the verse uses a plural word - Elohiym - then uses human terms with it - image - male and female.

Gen 1:27 And Created the ELOHIYM/Gods the Humans, (in their) image; (in the) image of ELOHIYM/Gods created they, male and female created they.

We know they are talking about actual bodies as the next sentence tells them to have sex and multiply.

Could you please use the quote button? That way in the thread tree your answer will be under the question you are answering - and we will know for whom it is meant. Thanks.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, you have to understand that the verse uses a plural word - Elohiym - then uses human terms with it - image - male and female.

Gen 1:27 And Created the ELOHIYM/Gods the Humans, (in their) image; (in the) image of ELOHIYM/Gods created they, male and female created they.

We know they are talking about actual bodies as the next sentence tells them to have sex and multiply.

Could you please use the quote button? That way in the thread tree your answer will be under the question you are answering - and we will know for whom it is meant. Thanks.

I disagree that "male" and "female" mean physical bodies only. It is because male and female have different roles. To fulfill a role is a verb. And multiplying to fill the Earth is also a verb.

1 Corinthians 11:3 But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

This is not talking about the physical condition of man and woman. It is spiritual. To be made in God's image is a spiritual condition.

outhouse

Atheistically

bud! I think hes a hair taller then you ;)

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I disagree that "male" and "female" mean physical bodies only. It is because male and female have different roles. To fulfill a role is a verb. And multiplying to fill the Earth is also a verb.

1 Corinthians 11:3 But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

This is not talking about the physical condition of man and woman. It is spiritual. To be made in God's image is a spiritual condition.

Why in the world would you stick 1 Corinthians 11:3, a much later patriarchal New Testament text, in this discussion? It has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

aewbarnes

Andy Barnes
As a student of Vedanta, I regard everything as an expression and part of Brahman, including Atman or self. Therefore, yes, we are in 'the image' of 'God' but this image is only a partial and altered representation of the whole. Consider light passing through a red filter. The red light we see is part of the original white light, but only part. So we are all expressions of 'God' but filtered through our Atman. The goal of Vedanta is to clear away this sense of self as seperate and to observe the anatman or 'non-self' and thus become more our true self, minus the filter, which is 'God'. I think to understand the original words quoted from Christianity requires the recognition that much of the dogma & doctrine (of all religions) has accrued to the original message through the passage of time and to make the teachings more accessible to the peoples of each historical time in the religions development. Once any faith is stripped bare down to the core, original teachings, those original teachings become much clearer.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why in the world would you stick 1 Corinthians 11:3, a much later patriarchal New Testament text, in this discussion? It has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Obviously I disagree that it has nothing to do with the discussion. The discussion is about man and woman. How does 1 Corinthians 11:3 have nothing to do with man and woman?

People seem to be saying "made in God's image" has something to do with the physical souls of man and woman. I am saying it has to do with men's and women's spiritual selves. Spiritual as in what WILL THEY DO?. Now can you see how it applies?

I believe the Bible can never be understood until it is understood ALL TOGETHER. If that's right everything in Bible applies to everything else so 1 Corinthians 11:3 can not help but to apply to Genesis one.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Obviously I disagree that it has nothing to do with the discussion. The discussion is about man and woman. How does 1 Corinthians 11:3 have nothing to do with man and woman?

People seem to be saying "made in God's image" has something to do with the physical souls of man and woman. I am saying it has to do with men's and women's spiritual selves. Spiritual as in what WILL THEY DO?. Now can you see how it applies?

I believe the Bible can never be understood until it is understood ALL TOGETHER. If that's right everything in Bible applies to everything else so 1 Corinthians 11:3 can not help but to apply to Genesis one.

LOL! Using that I could throw in any text from the Bible - throwing off the discussion. How does Cor 11:3 fit into our discussion?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
LOL! Using that I could throw in any text from the Bible - throwing off the discussion. How does Cor 11:3 fit into our discussion?

"The head" determines the direction a person goes. "In the image of" means TO ME and only me I know, the direction (goal) of the soul. So far the women have not been the deciding factor in where the world "goes". You know, to PEACE or to war. Every day the world goes toward WAR. That is the SPIRIT of the world. The SPIRIT of God of whom we are in the image of goes toward PEACE. Toward peace is what "in the image of" means to me.