• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

Curious George

Veteran Member
I already mentioned a few.
I guess I just don't see how atheism is a worldview. I see how it can help a person make up a worldview, but in itself, I just don't see it. Personally, my lack of belief in deities has pretty much nothing to do with how I go about my life. It only really comes up in forums such as these or if someone brings up religion in conversation.

I guess I expect a worldview to have some kind of philosophy or beliefs behind it, rather than something just based on a lack of belief.
If I don't believe in ghosts, do you consider that a worldview?
Would you like to understand how it is a worldview?

Start from atheism, whatever you determine that to be. Assuming you are using the broadest view of lack of belief, ask yourself what that lack of belief entails. For instance, lack of belief in a creator entails lack of belief in intelligent design. Now think about what form of atheism is part of your understanding. What does that entail. Following these lines of reasoning describes much more than just one simple fact. So, we can understand, a priori, that your view, whatever it may be is actually a set of beliefs. This is what is being referred to as "the atheist's worldview." The OP is suggesting that one of those entailments is a lack of meaning. Then saying meaningless= absurd. Then, equivocating absurd as meaningless to imply absurd as in preposterous or ridiculous, which he defends by saying meaningless= absurd which was one of the premises thus begging the question.

It reads:

All atheism entails meaninglessness
Meaninglessness is absurdity

All atheism entails absurdity.

It is bad logic.

But the idea that atheism is not a worldview is also bad logic.

A worldview is a particular conception of the world.

Atheism only addresses one aspect of the world.

Atheism cannot be a particular conception of the world.

Here we see a jump in logic and a questionable premise. The jump in logic is the assumption that one aspect of the world cannot be distinguished as a particular conception. The questionable premise is that atheism only addresses one aspect of the world. What is one aspect? I could easily say that creation is one aspect, revelation is another aspect, and afterlife is yet another aspect. And atheism deals with all of these, regardless of the type.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
If you want consistency and coherence, you are left only the choice between two philosophic dilemmas: materialism or pantheism. However, and I want to stress this, those who deny God are almost never consistent or coherent.
You keep using tht word "deny" as though you have proven god exists...
Fact is you are misusing the word.
Now the only question is:
Are you intentionally misusing it or are you being honestly ignorant of the misuse?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
The jump in logic is the assumption that one aspect of the world cannot be distinguished as a particular conception. The questionable premise is that atheism only addresses one aspect of the world. What is one aspect? I could easily say that creation is one aspect, revelation is another aspect, and afterlife is yet another aspect. And atheism deals with all of these, regardless of the type.

These are still only aspects of a person's world-view. By the way you don't have to be a theist to believe in an afterlife.

ArtieE

That doesn't make them an atheist though, because they still believe in a god concept.
"God concept"? An atheist is a person who doesn't believe in the existence of GODS. Not "god concepts". Here's a list of some gods atheists don't believe in and some gods Christians don't believe in. The lists are the same except for one single god. Atheists don't believe in just one more god than Christians don't believe in. Christians are in practice atheists who have made one single exception from their rule of not believing in gods. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2008/02/11/gods-we-dont-believe-in/

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
"God concept"?
Because there is no one universal definition of what a god is, or goddess, or gods, or whatever, and because what or who they are vary, "god concept" sums this up in one blanket term. Theists, regardless of their religion, are not atheists because they believe in some sort of god concept. You're moving goal posts around and trying to ignore basic English grammar rules. Theism and atheism are not defined by numbers, but rather belief and disbelief. Just because Christians disbelieve in one less god than you does not make them atheists, in concept or practice, because they believe in a god.

Noa

It is not that complicated. An atheist is one who believes that there is no deity. No more, no less, just that. It is not a worldview, it is not a belief system, it is nothing more than that.

ArtieE

It is not that complicated. An atheist is one who believes that there is no deity. No more, no less, just that. It is not a worldview, it is not a belief system, it is nothing more than that.
Actually, that is the definition of a "strong atheist". An atheist is a person who doesn't believe gods exist.

Noa

Actually, that is the definition of a "strong atheist". An atheist is a person who doesn't believe gods exist.

Your distinction is irrelevant in the context of this thread. And virtually everywhere else, in my opinion, but that is neither here nor there.

ArtieE

Because there is no one universal definition of what a god is, or goddess, or gods, or whatever, and because what or who they are vary, "god concept" sums this up in one blanket term. Theists, regardless of their religion, are not atheists because they believe in some sort of god concept. You're moving goal posts around and trying to ignore basic English grammar rules. Theism and atheism are not defined by numbers, but rather belief and disbelief. Just because Christians disbelieve in one less god than you does not make them atheists, in concept or practice, because they believe in a god.
You're missing the point completely. The thread is called "Atheism is an absurd worldview". People such as Christians who don't believe in 99.9% of all gods are hardly in a position to call not believing in gods absurd.

ArtieE

Your distinction is irrelevant in the context of this thread. And virtually everywhere else, in my opinion, but that is neither here nor there.
This thread is called "Atheism is an absurd worldview". I would say using the correct definition of atheism is imperative.

Curious George

Veteran Member
A person tells you he's an atheist and nothing else. Please make up a short list of what beliefs you know this person must have based on him being an atheist.
1. That the possibility of god less than or equal to 50%.

2. That revelations according to various religions are equally likely or more than likely fabrications.

3. That once life ends one is more than or equally likely to never meet a deity.

There is a short list. Though there would be infinite others.