• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

ArtieE

If you believe your choices are not completely predetermined (which you apparently do), then you must believe (for the sake of logical consistency) that something is happening in your decision-making that is "uncaused." (Atheistic or scientific materialism has trouble with "uncaused causes.")
Say we could map the interaction between every atom and molecule in the brain. Let's say we did that when a person was making a choice. Are you saying that at some points in time we could see that some atoms and molecules interacted in ways that violates the laws of physics?

Gambit

Say we could map the interaction between every atom and molecule in the brain. Let's say we did that when a person was making a choice. Are you saying that at some points in time we could see that some atoms and molecules interacted in ways that violates the laws of physics?

No, I'm not saying that. In fact, the observer effect in quantum mechanics provides a role for consciousness to play. Of course, the skeptics will scoff at this as quantum mysticism.

ArtieE

The ultimate purpose is the final cause. Also, I never argued that atheists are less for not having it. I simply argued that their view of world is absurd for not having it.
We are a result of evolution and natural selection. We are a result of a natural process just like every other living or extinct organism. The dinosaurs served no purpose, we serve no purpose. But we did evolve instincts like the survival instinct and the instinct to produce offspring. So here we are doing our best to survive and multiply just like the rest of our fellow organisms. We evolved justice systems and laws and religions and belief systems because they provided authority figures and rules for behavior and groups where people cooperated etc etc and this increased our chances of survival and successful reproduction.

ArtieE

No, I'm not saying that. In fact, the observer effect in quantum mechanics provides a role for consciousness to play. Of course, the skeptics will scoff at this as quantum mysticism.
What does it matter if this observer effect has no effect on how the brain works anyway?

outhouse

Atheistically
Merriam-Webster's simple definition of free will is as follows: "the ability to make choices that are not controlled by fate or God."

That is not accurate.

The number #1 definition is as follows. And it has nothing to do with the apologetic definition you quote mined.

the ability to choose how to act

Free will has nothing to do with your mythology.

outhouse

Atheistically
I used the definition of free will as it is commonly understood.

No you quote mined

AND got caught doing it.

Gods do not exist scientifically outside mythology, so YOU do not have he high road here because your philosophy teacher thinks differently. Your are producing unsubstantiated pseudoscience here to try and attack atheism, and your failing.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
And why would you choose left or right? There must be some reason why you choose one over the other, simply because otherwise you are claiming that your brain works like a perfect random number generator and you have no choice anyway...But there will always be reasons for your choice determining which choice you make.
If you don't know the "why," you may still feel free to insert any explanation that makes sense to you. It's called rationalization.

It's like god of the gaps for atheists.

Gambit

And why would you choose left or right? There must be some reason why you choose one over the other, simply because otherwise you are claiming that your brain works like a perfect random number generator and you have no choice anyway...But there will always be reasons for your choice determining which choice you make.

I generally agree. But there's something you're missing here. A truly random event is a truly mystical one because it defies any kind of mechanistic explanation.

ArtieE

That is not accurate.

The number #1 definition is as follows. And it has nothing to do with the apologetic definition you quote mined.

the ability to choose how to act

Free will has nothing to do with your mythology.
Oh. I do see the difference. You are not free to choose whatever you like because there's always a reason behind your choice, but you are free to choose in the first place.

ArtieE

I generally agree. But there's something you're missing here. A truly random event is a truly mystical one because it defies any kind of mechanistic explanation.
Why is it mystical just "because it defies any kind of mechanistic explanation"? Tomorrow we might find out how random events can happen and that the explanation is perfectly "non-mystical..."

mindlight

See in the dark
The atheistic worldview is an absurd one. Why? Because the atheist views the world as ultimately meaningless and therefore as absurd.

It is absurd to hold to a world view that has no answers to the big questions and is essentially hopeless. Atheism is rendered absurd by the reality of meaning which any honest person essentially grasps is possible.

ArtieE

It is absurd to hold to a world view that has no answers to the big questions and is essentially hopeless. Atheism is rendered absurd by the reality of meaning which any honest person essentially grasps is possible.
It is absurd to hold to a world view where people answer a big question like "Why are there earthquakes" with "Poseidon makes them". Theism is rendered absurd because none of the thousands of gods people have believed in have been shown to exist. We just use them as placeholders and pseudo explanations until we find the real explanations.

mindlight

See in the dark
It is absurd to hold to a world view where people answer a big question like "Why are there earthquakes" with "Poseidon makes them". Theism is rendered absurd because none of the thousands of gods people have believed in have been shown to exist. We just use them as placeholders and pseudo explanations until we find the real explanations.

Christ existed and exists and is the best possible affirmation of Theism. There was an historical context to the revelation of Jewish and Christian scriptures which people can agree on. It is absurd to pigeon hole Christianity with other non historical religions and it is absurd to dismiss out of hand the evidence that give a context to these claims.

ArtieE

Christ existed and exists and is the best possible affirmation of Theism. There was an historical context to the revelation of Jewish and Christian scriptures which people can agree on. It is absurd to pigeon hole Christianity with other non historical religions and it is absurd to dismiss out of hand the evidence that give a context to these claims.
So let's see... I don't believe gods exist. You don't believe gods exist, except one. So you are 99.9% atheist already. Well, you have to stop believing in just one more god to become a full member of the atheist club... :)

mindlight

See in the dark
So let's see... I don't believe gods exist. You don't believe gods exist, except one. So you are 99.9% atheist already. Well, you have to stop believing in just one more god to become a full member of the atheist club... :)

Actually I find that I am more atheistic than most atheists when it comes to other gods. Atheists do all sorts of stupid non atheistic things like check their horror scopes , believe in aliens and alien abduction. But when it comes to the God whom Christ reveals the evidence is overwhelming and irrefutable. Here I stand I can do no other!

ArtieE

Actually I find that I am more atheistic than most atheists when it comes to other gods. Atheists do all sorts of stupid non atheistic things like check their horror scopes , believe in aliens and alien abduction.
Non-atheistic things? Do you mean these are theist things?
But when it comes to the God whom Christ reveals the evidence is overwhelming and irrefutable. Here I stand I can do no other!
Well, actually the Biblical God can't logically exist. He is said to be omnipotent but can't defeat iron chariots, the Bible says He can't be seen and claims nobody has seen Him but then records testimonies of people who have seen Him. The Biblical God can't exist any more than married bachelors can exist.