• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I give up fighting Islamophobia

nazz

Doubting Thomas
So you're talking about the kind of people who want to ban public expressions of the Muslim faith?
That would be an expression of Islamophobia, sure. I'm talking about people who believe all Muslims are out to get them. That the religion teaches that.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Wait, is fear of Islam and criticism of Islam the same thing? I think the world would be better off without it, but I'm not afraid of it.

That important distinction seems to have fallen out of favor with many people, more than a few of them actually well-meaning if sometimes naive and even delusional.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That would be an expression of Islamophobia, sure. I'm talking about people who believe all Muslims are out to get them. That the religion teaches that.

Well, maybe it does not teach that, but quite a few people seem to be learning that lesson somehow.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Irrational fear of Islam

Fair enough, how do you define Islam?

For me, as a non-believer, Islam is a set of ideas. As with almost all religions, I think Islam is the codification of a bad set of ideas. I don't fear the ideas, but I'd fear for the world (e.g. my daughters), if this set of ideas became predominant.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
You fear for Muslim religion spreading and taking over America?? More so that Muslims in Muslim countries fear Western secularism spreading and taking over their countries???? That does sound a bit phobic.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I've thought about giving up fighting Islamophobia, but to be frank most of that is due to my experiences with some Muslims as of late. One of those things where my personal problems with individuals is colouring my view of things they hold dear.

However, here are some good ways to notice Islamophoiba and just generally someone being an absolute, drooling retard;

Any mention of "Eurabia" (If at all possible, stab these people in the throat)
"Birthrates!"
"Mohammed was a pedophile!"(when not applying that definition to 80% of men from his era)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
People who grew up in one culture, and later in life see people of a different culture doing behavior personal to the other culture, most of the time will see this strange behavior and find it very odd.

One time I overheard folks in a waiting room laughing and whispering about a Muslim woman wearing a burqa (did i say that right?) Immaturity like this is due to the lack of experience

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
You fear for Muslim religion spreading and taking over America?? More so that Muslims in Muslim countries fear Western secularism spreading and taking over their countries???? That does sound a bit phobic.

I'm not remotely worried about that, Islam could never take over America and if it did, it wouldn't be America anymore. I don't fear Islam taking over anything. I do think that based on very clear and demonstrable evidence, Islam, at least radical Islam, is capable of violence against innocent people, for no reason other than not adopting Islam. That's not fear. That's dealing with reality.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Well the become radicalIslamophobic and stop being Islamphobic, most Muslims are radicalIslamophobic, see, you share something in common with the majority of Muslims.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Well the become radicalIslamophobic and stop being Islamphobic, most Muslims are radicalIslamophobic, see, you share something in common with the majority of Muslims.

You're horribly misusing the English language. If you have a good reason to dislike something, you cannot, by definition, be phobic of it.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Don't be hard on yourself man. Islam is a very big religions and Muslims are a huge number of people. It is impossible to have everyone liking it and also hating it. Standing up for the religion itself, is ultimately up to God not us. Sure we can spread the good word of it and defend its people, but to take it hard like that, that is not really necessary. Let's do what we can do without pushing it, and leave the rest to God. That last one actually is a rough translation of an Islamic proverb.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

About 1/3 of Muslims - call it 500 million - believe that theocracy is the best way to run a society. Mathematically it's not the majority. But it's a significant number of folks, who are holding on to a really bad idea, whose time has past. I for one do not want to deal with an endless chipping away of secular ideas and personal freedoms from this large group of people.