• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need to explain evolution to a six year-old.

Tau

A cell is the building block of all Known biological organisms, different cells working together for the whole.
Which is why we humans and other animals and plants are labelled multicellular organisms.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
All wives are linked telepathically. Bet you didn't know that.

Those of us who know about the conspiracy know it. I know all you women are aliens. Sent here to enslave males. I once saw a woman go into the restroom and never come out again. She really teleported to the mothership. Another reason women go in flocks to the bathroom. All this stuff about being oppressed under men was just reverse pshycology.

I know the truth!!!
* approaching sirens*
I've seen it with my own eyes.
*White van pulls up*
They're here to enslave us!!!
*Men get out and put strap Sola'lor in a jacket with long sleeves*
Rebel! We can save ourselves!!
*They stuff Sola'lor in the van*
They're here! Theye're going to get us!!
* They unload Him in room with padded walls*

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Any suggestions? Yesterday my son asked "Where did the first people come from?" and I found out that it's somewhat difficult to explain evolution to a small child without sounding like you've lost your mind.

I'd cop-out and say "I'll tell you when you're older." But I'm not good with kids that young ;)

tell him
you "you see that plant there "
him "ye"
you "you see how grew the last couple weeks?"
him "ye"
you "well it creates new plants after a while"
him "ok"
you "well this proccess has been going on for miljoens of years"
him "that long"
you "ye and every so often it creates a slightly diffrent kind of plant"
him "ok"
you "if that diffrent plant survives it also creates more plants "
him "ok"
you "well all this started with very small creatures called single celled amboese"
him "how small?"
you "you can't even see them so smal, you woul need a microscope"
him "and those changed into the plants and animals?"
you "yes over a very long time"

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What concepts are you thinking would be hard for a six year old to grasp, exactly?

You're not trying to explain advanced biochemistry, just the basic principles of evolution.

A baboon could understand them!

kai

ragamuffin
Any suggestions? Yesterday my son asked "Where did the first people come from?" and I found out that it's somewhat difficult to explain evolution to a small child without sounding like you've lost your mind.

just tell the truth, you dont know and to ask his teacher

BillBo

First of all, GOOD LUCK!

Secondly, yes find something on Amazon, read through it, and then read through it with the child, explaining little bits as and when are required.

Nanda

Polyanna
just tell the truth, you dont know and to ask his teacher

I assume you're joking, but just in case: I do know, I'm just having trouble simplifying it so that he'll understand. Plus I don't think his Kindergarten teacher is equipped to answer that one.