• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I said it Tuesday night and I was right!

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Yes!...and to think they called me fool when I invested in bauxite! Well, who's the fool now fools?! Mwah ha ha ha haaaa!

I was going to attempt some joke at controlling the electrolysis industry or something, but, yeah, I can't even talk about it without it sounding stupid. Nevermind.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I was going to attempt some joke at controlling the electrolysis industry or something, but, yeah, I can't even talk about it without it sounding stupid. Nevermind.

Lol, when in doubt go with a geology joke. They have yet to steer me wrong.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I did miss it, thanks for the link. Had I read it, there would have been no need for this thread. Sorry about that, I just woke up, checked my stocks and started this thread. My bad. :sorry1:

lol no need to apologize, I just wanted to see what you thought of the possible explanation as a "self-fulfilling prophecy" rather than anything actually related to Obama.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I have a friend who works at the Chicago Board of Trade as an options trader. He says that businesses were hoping for a Romney presidency for the perceived short term benefit to themselves, which does make sense to me.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Good thinking. You got a tantrum discount. Whatever small part of the dip is being caused by folks like the Koch brothers smashing up the shop will be brief.

I should ask you girls (and boys) how to get involved in all that, now that I have money I can actually invest. I have a couple of CD's (which I can't touch for a million years anyway) but I want to see what all this fuss about stocks is really about.

Alceste

Vagabond
I should ask you girls (and boys) how to get involved in all that, now that I have money I can actually invest. I have a couple of CD's (which I can't touch for a million years anyway) but I want to see what all this fuss about stocks is really about.

Don't look at me, I'm poor. :)

The only recommendation I have is not to buy gold on paper.There's a lot more paper than gold, if you know what I'm saying. Silver too.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The stock market dropped sharply after the election results. :(
Dow drops sharply in post-election sell-off | Tulsa World
I'd expect that too. Potential commercial buyers/tenants we're dealing with didn't want to commit to anything before the election.
They were hoping for regime change as a boost to the economy. I hope that once they get used to the idea that we have 4 more
years of Obamarama, that they'll expand anyway. The best case scenario is that it will just be slower.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm curious, newly wealthy gal....what do you think about the interest rate you're getting vs the inflation rate?

tytlyf

Not Religious
Check out zecco.com for a trading platform. As far as stocks go, start with large cap (big companies) where the fluctuation of price doesn't change much as you learn.
I'd recommend learning how to read charts and understanding technical analysis.
It's not really something you have to pay to learn, just study and look at charts.
For instance, the past 2 days a telecom stock has moved nearly 20% (LEAP).
I've been playing the telecoms for the past year. Sprint, Clearwire, Leap wireless.

I taught myself, it's not that hard. But expect to lose money and develop a much thicker skin in daily life due to the emotional rollercoasters involved.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Check out zecco.com for a trading platform. As far as stocks go, start with large cap (big companies) where the fluctuation of price doesn't change much as you learn.
I'd recommend learning how to read charts and understanding technical analysis.
It's not really something you have to pay to learn, just study and look at charts.
For instance, the past 2 days a telecom stock has moved nearly 20% (LEAP).
I've been playing the telecoms for the past year. Sprint, Clearwire, Leap wireless.

I taught myself, it's not that hard. But expect to lose money and develop a much thicker skin in daily life due to the emotional rollercoasters involved.

I did this with pharmaceutical stock years ago. I loved watching my money grow.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I did this with pharmaceutical stock years ago. I loved watching my money grow.
Ya, especially when you see it jump $1,000+ in a day. All depends on how much you want to play with ($$). I'm not a fan of long term holdings. Although they are much safer, you will only get maybe 5% a year. I try to keep as much cash in my trading account and not in my savings/checking.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Stocks historically provide much higher returns over the long term than most other asset classes like bonds, CDs, cash, or gold. (Interest-bearing assets produce practically zero real growth these days due to low interest rates which are offset b inflation.) Stocks are generally rather volatile, and their paper value can decrease substantially over the short term, and wealth can be reduced over the long term if a portfolio is not sufficiently diversified and individual companies fail.

For that reason, stocks generally are considered good investments for money that you definitely don't need for 5+ years. They're not good when you want to put money away for a year or two and then potentially withdraw it.

The way to get involved about it would be to:
a) Read about it to get past the initial learning curve. It's easier than astrophysics, fortunately.
b) Figure out your goals. If you're investing for retirement, look into contributing to a 401k or IRA (or both), which provide tax benefits but have withdrawal restrictions. For example, I've got an IRA with an online brokerage which took a few minutes to set up years ago. The problem with IRAs is that there is an income limit. 401k and IRA accounts are not investments themselves; they're just tax vehicles for holding investments like stocks and bonds.
c) You can also open a regular taxable account with any online brokerage. That's where I put money after other available things are maximized. Or, you can open an index account with Vanguard.

If you're not interested in selecting individual stocks, or don't have a large enough amount of liquid assets to be able to diversity it across at least 10+ companies, then index funds are likely a good choice. With index funds, you'll own hundreds of companies with a tiny maintenance fee, and it's a very low maintenance form of investing for you. If you combine bond indexes with stock indexes and re-balance occasionally (like, for example, keep it at 70% stock and 30% bonds), then you can reduce volatility and keep it simple.