• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I said it Tuesday night and I was right!

tytlyf

Not Religious
Stocks historically provide much higher returns over the long term than most other asset classes like bonds, CDs, cash, or gold.
I agree. Your strategy of investing is more of the long term return. Allowing others to control your money.
I guess it boils down to if you want to be risky or not.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree. Your strategy of investing is more of the long term return. Allowing others to control your money.
I guess it boils down to if you want to be risky or not.
I'm risk-averse over the long term. That's why I buy stock.

Choosing between owning parts of companies around the world, owning shares of real estate assets, owning some infrastructure assets, owning some bonds from around the world, and owning some cash, seems far more secure than putting all of my wealth into cash. Volatility is associated with risk but shouldn't be confused as being equivalent to risk.

Cash doesn't provide any returns and is just a government promise. That would be allowing others to control my money (and a very small group of others). So cash is basically just useful for me for a bit of liquidity and a moderate chunk of overall asset allocation.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
U.S. Market summary for last week for the most-followed indices (Dow, S&P, and Nasdaq):

Slightly up on Monday
Significantly up on Tuesday
Significantly down on Wednesday
Significantly down on Thursday
Slightly up on Friday
(closed on weekends)

Total market loss during the week: around 2.5% depending on which index you'd like to go by.

Any bets for Monday? :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Stocks are one indicator of economic health, albeit a complex one. (The price of stocks isn't related just to how well the companies perform,
but rather how well they perform relative to alternative investments, particularly as envisioned for the future.) Another is the money supply.
I was negotiating with 2 banks to refinance 3 properties. Both banks just pulled out for regulatory reasons. Effective interest rates (not those
ridiculously low rates quoted in the media, but the ones from lenders ready & willing to actually lend the money to non-perfect world borrowers)
are edging up, the supply is dwindling, & hurdles are higher. Construction companies I know are seeing their business sliding even further.

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I don't think people realize just how fragile companies really are .

No loans, no projects. No projects, no jobs. It's really pretty simple.

The boat is sinking, I got out of the boat before it sucked me under.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

So you sold all your stocks?

For your own business, what Obama policies have hurt your business?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

If the boat sinks, then it's because of a self-fulfilling prophecy of wide-eyed herds of people spooked by the doom and gloom of GOP talking points and propaganda. Seems like the mere fear of Obama and the childishness of his opponents might be enough to cause the very disaster that they'll foolishly blame on him, when they're ultimately the ones responsible.

I think my stomach literally just turned over, it makes me sick.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Maybe it's time to recognize that there really are two Americas. Maybe the childish fearmongerers would be better off seceding so this union can flourish while they relegate their society to a Mexico-like state of elites and unwashed masses. Because that's exactly what their policies will get.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the boat sinks, then it's because of a self-fulfilling prophecy of wide-eyed herds of people spooked by the doom and gloom of GOP talking points and propaganda. Seems like the mere fear of Obama and the childishness of his opponents might be enough to cause the very disaster that they'll foolishly blame on him, when they're ultimately the ones responsible.

I think my stomach literally just turned over, it makes me sick.
There was an interview somewhere in the ballpark of 1 year ago where Warren Buffett was offering his opinion on the economy and stated various quantitative reasons that are allowing it to improve and potentially continue to improve.

He did point out, however, that two potentially negative things that could disrupt that, and that he wouldn't be able to predict are: a) European debt problem fallout, b) Self-fulling prophecies of doom and gloom.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
So you sold all your stocks?

For your own business, what Obama policies have hurt your business?
No, I'm closing my businesses and retiring. I still hold investments like you I am not a trader, I ride these things out.

I still am not thrilled right now.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The policies that have hurt my business is bank regulations.

Yes, there should not be give away loans but banks are cracking down on folks who have never defaulted on anything. For the record, I'm talking about commercial loans not personal loans.

Obama has choked the living crap out of small business

I should have shut down 2 years ago, I tried to hang in there, but I cannot stand another 4 years of the same.

One last thing, old people form their own opinions not watch FOX for their views.

I don't need the Internet or TV for my opinion. Real life is my teacher, well that and my MBA.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Yes, there should not be give away loans but banks are cracking down on folks who have never defaulted on anything. For the record, I'm talking about commercial loans not personal loans.

I should have shut down 2 years ago, I tried to hang in there, but I cannot stand another 4 years of the same.

One last thing, old people form their own opinions not watch FOX for their views.

I don't need the Internet or TV for my opinion. Real life is my teacher, well that and my MBA.
Which specific bank regulations are hurting you? Which law?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maybe it's time to recognize that there really are two Americas. Maybe the childish fearmongerers would be better off seceding so this union can flourish while they relegate their society to a Mexico-like state of elites and unwashed masses. Because that's exactly what their policies will get.
Which is more childish.....to be a fear monger regarding continued economic malaise, or to have Pollyanna faith in continuing the attendant policies?
But the problems I see aren't about attitudes being too gloomy or too pie-eyed positive. Rather, many of us face foreclosure, but cannot borrow money.
Regulations are preventing loan extensions or refinancing. Commercial tenants are skittish about economic downturn & the effects of Obamacare.
(Even health care consulting outfits don't know what lies ahead with any certainty.) This cannot be blamed on naysayers.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Oh stop it. You're scaring the children.....:slap:

Banks in Small Business Lending Fund making more loans - The Business Journals

More small businesses are starting to benefit from the federal government's $4 billion Small Business Lending Fund.

Lending to small businesses increased by $1.5 billion in the second quarter at the 328 financial institutions that participated in the SBLF. The fund was created by Congress in 2010 to provide cheap capital to community banks and community development loan funds for use in making small business loans.

Participants increased their small business lending in the quarter that ended June 30 by $6.7 billion over what they had been doing per quarter two years ago, according to the Treasury Department. That compares with a $5.2 billion first-quarter increase over the 2010 baseline.

So far, 247 of the 277 community banks that took Small Business Lending Fund have increased their small business lending, as have 44 of the 51 community development loan funds. Three-fourths of SBLF participants have increased their small business lending by 10 percent or more.

SBLF banks have increased their business lending by a median of 27.4 percent compared with two years ago. That contrasts with a median increase in business lending of only 0.4 percent at a sample group of community banks that didn't participate in the program.

“Today’s report is further indication that the administration’s Small Business Lending Fund is continuing to help create an environment in which entrepreneurial small businesses can succeed and excel,” said Deputy Treasury Secretary Neal Wolin.

And this one.....

http://www.sba.gov/community/blogs/...ss/sba-and-america’s-banks-are-increasing-sma

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
People not in business won't understand the grim reality of credit drying up because it's just too foreign to them, ie, not part of their personal experience.
My bank (gov't owned RBS) told me that auditors won't allow them to renew my loans, yet no alternate financing exists. So now I have 2 in foreclosure, &
I'm casting about to find any money source. There is "hard money" out there at 20% interest, but they won't lend unless I have an exit strategy after 1 year.
At some point, the current lender will hold an auction, & then refinance moves from unlikely to impossible. Banks have plenty of money, but government
decree is that loans receiving regular & full payment go south. Thanx Barry, for using my tax money to bail out your buddies on Wall St.

Some people will cite upbeat articles in magazines, but the real world looks vastly different.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Let me get this straight, reverend Rick and Revoltingest, you guys think Obama is the reason real estate and housing starts are sluggish? Really? You didn't notice what happened to American real estate and construction in 2007?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Let me get this straight, reverend Rick and Revoltingest, you guys think Obama is the reason real estate and housing starts are sluggish? Really? You didn't notice what happened to American real estate and construction in 2007?

Hi Alceste, my mind wants to totally hook up with yours......................