• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want to believe

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

I want to believe

It's my belief, based on personal experience, that even when we feel very far from God, He is never far from us. The sense of him is easily drowned out, and we are easily distracted by our own concerns, our fears and our desires. But whenever I have really needed Him, He's been there offering comfort and support, and I see no reason why that shouldn't be the case for you. And in the words of Rumi. "What you seek is seeking you".
But whenever I have really needed Him, He's been there offering comfort and support
I agree with one here.

Regards

crossbody

I want to believe in a concerned, loving, and personal God

But my faith in such an entity has been totally shattered, and this has saddened me greatly :(

It feels as though a close friend has died

Everything feels bleak

The thing I believe in feels cold, distant, and disinterested in me

So, I'm asking......

Are there any good reasons to believe in a concerned, loving, and personal God?

Bearing in mind that I no longer accept scripture as authoritative

I'm pretty certain that there aren't
You received the salvation of grace from God or else you would not be able to reject it.

If we don't accept the scriptures there is no way for God to accept us. As grace and truth has come to all.
When grace and truth came to many, they rejected it. Salvation is through grace. To reject the scriptures is to reject grace.
God does not force anything on us. It is our choice to gladly receive God's grace of eternal salvation, or reject it.

John 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

But my faith in such an entity has been totally shattered, and this has saddened me greatly :(

Everything feels bleak

So, I'm asking......

You should see my argument from God's vision.

Tinkerpeach

Everything feels bleak

So, I'm asking......

God is still there but it sounds like you are basing your belief on your feelings rather than faith.

I don’t know of any Christians that do not feel bleak or sad or depressed at times but when that happens that is when we turn to prayer and remember that God said He will never leave us even in our worst moments.

He is still there.

God often puts His believers through trials because He is working on us to make us stronger Christians so when you are feeling despair that is when you should lean on God even more.

Tell Him you feel bleak and that scripture doesn’t help you.

God is listening and He will help you through it and He wants you to dump your problems on Him and let Him work them out but you need to have faith and trust in Him that He will.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
God is still there but it sounds like you are basing your belief on your feelings rather than faith.

I don’t know of any Christians that do not feel bleak or sad or depressed at times but when that happens that is when we turn to prayer and remember that God said He will never leave us even in our worst moments.

He is still there.

God often puts His believers through trials because He is working on us to make us stronger Christians so when you are feeling despair that is when you should lean on God even more.

Tell Him you feel bleak and that scripture doesn’t help you.

God is listening and He will help you through it and He wants you to dump your problems on Him and let Him work them out but you need to have faith and trust in Him that He will.
One's post ^ is excellent, except that:
"Jesus-god" and or "HolySpirit-god" won't and can't help one ever, OneG-d (whom "Jesus" used to call god-the-father) will help one always, right, please?

Regards

Regards

Tinkerpeach

One's post ^ is excellent, except that:
"Jesus-god" and or "HolySpirit-god" won't and can't help one ever, OneG-d (whom "Jesus" used to call god-the-father) will help one always, right, please?

Regards

Regards
Of course He will help but usually not in the way of direct help (although that certainly can happen).

The reason to turn to God in times of need is for understanding and comfort and realizing that God is going to go through your trouble with you and that He knows your doubts and pain.

I don’t want to call it a test but it is a way for someone to become closer to God when you rely on Him during tough times instead of abandoning Him.

It’s easy to be a Christian when things are going good but it’s very hard when they are not and it’s those times when our faith is put to the test when we can truly shine before the Lord.