• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If abortion were illegal

robtex

Veteran Member
michel said:
The thought struck me that barrier contraception is 'the method' (appart from abstinence) of not only being 95% safe (I don't Know the figure), but is the only way to prevent STD's; would it therefore not be a good idea to make abortions illegal, in the belief that people would use a condom ?

(I realize this sounds good in theory, but in practice..............)
A condom is not a solution. We have condoms now and the abortion rate is 1.25 million plus a year.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
robtex said:
No assumption needed. At 1.25 million plus a year even if unprotected sex dropped by 50 % the number is too high. At 75 % too high. A reality check by crunching the numbers shows we will have an influx of unwanted babies. So the task becomes what plans and laws to impliment to address this.

Your reaction however seems to be typical of the anti-abortion camp. That the problem will solve itself once the "evil" is stopped. To me that is a non-solution. It is a simple question. Given the notion we will have an iflux of unwanted births as evidenced by the "law of large numbers" what changes in laws will needed to be implimented to deal with this change. To ban abortion without such a system in place is socially irresponsible.

So back to you Jonny. What laws would need to be established to deal with the influx babies and or curb them?
At 1.25 million plus a year even if unprotected sex dropped by 50 % the number is too high
I guess you have answered my question as well, by implication...........
BTW, I would not support abortions being banned.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I would educate everyone I know on herbal abortions.

They´re dangerous, but a tad safer than a coat hanger.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Can we all agree that it would be socially irresponsible to ban abortions without a workable plan to deal with the population growth that would result? Or is there still some question over this?

robtex

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
Can we all agree that it would be socially irresponsible to ban abortions without a workable plan to deal with the population growth that would result? Or is there still some question over this?
I would say yes!!! I would even go futher and say if one could not be proposed than the issue is dead and a ban on abortion at this point in time is a non-feasible non option.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
robtex said:
are you being serious?
I thought some of the extreme right who have no trouble in killing in a war situation, and at the same time are not past killing abortionists.
Might find this an interesting concept.
and it would save on welfare to boot.

For the rest of us Have a good laugh.

Terry________________________---
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
Agreed.

robtex

Veteran Member
So Terry what is your stance on abortion and if an abortion ban happened in the UK or the USA or anywhere else could you put together a system to make an abortion ban work and if so what would it consist of?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
If abortion were illegal that would be absolutely fantastic!!!
I would vote for that anyday. The rich can fly their daughters and poor are gonna do what they are gonna do. But the alternative is worse.

~Victor

robtex

Veteran Member
Victor said:
If abortion were illegal that would be absolutely fantastic!!!
I would vote for that anyday. The rich can fly their daughters and poor are gonna do what they are gonna do. But the alternative is worse.
~Victor
Victor that is the point of the thread. There is no altenative. I am asking YOU to prospose one. If abortion is banned 1.25 million unwanted children will be born each year. What is your solution to unwanted births? Until a solution is mapped out there is no alternative to abortion.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I can not conceive of an abortion ban.
As I have said in previous threads, I do not care for abortions.
But I do not need one, nor should it be me to chose for some one else.

Research into reversible contraception would be a useful start.
A contraceptive that would be provided at the onset of puberty, and reversed on licence when a child is wanted.

I see greater problems in accepting this in the USA than the rest of the world.

A degree of social engineering would be required to Make this a socially desirable outcome.

Terry___________________________-
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Quiddity

robtex said:
Victor that is the point of the thread. There is no altenative. I am asking YOU to prospose one. If abortion is banned 1.25 million unwanted children will be born each year. What is your solution to unwanted births? Until a solution is mapped out there is no alternative to abortion.
My point is that abortion IS the other alternative and that is worse in my eyes.

~Victor

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Victor said:
My point is that abortion IS the other alternative and that is worse in my eyes.

~Victor
Abortion is worse than 1.25 million unwanted children? Maybe, but it seems socially irresponsible to ban abortions with no thought to the consequences of doing so. Do you think the problems caused by 1.25 million unwanted children will work themselves out by themselves?

Quiddity

Sunstone said:
Abortion is worse than 1.25 million unwanted children? Maybe, but it seems socially irresponsible to ban abortions with no thought to the consequences of doing so.
Sunstone, I could say that it's socially irresponsible to have abortions, but people want their rights. Of course I don't want 1.25 million unwanted children. But in my view, I see 2 negatives. I want neither, but prefer life over death.

~Victor

robtex

Veteran Member
Victor and Terry I am going to interpret your posts as "you do not have an alternative to abortion" by the lack of a propsed solution to 1.25 million homeless children a year.

Quiddity

robtex said:
Victor and Terry I am going to interpret your posts as "you do not have an alternative to abortion" by the lack of a propsed solution to 1.25 million homeless children a year.
Robtex, the results of banning abortion would perhaps not be pretty. I would say implement abortion education in sex ed classes. No funding required.

~Victor

robtex

Veteran Member
Victor said:
Robtex, the results of banning abortion would perhaps not be pretty. I would say implement abortion education in sex ed classes. No funding required.
~Victor
Victor, by banning abortion and not having a contengency for the 1.25 million homeless children you are in essence saying to the homeless children "so what? "

What I am saying is that unless a structure is presented to deal withthe 1.25 million unwanted births that there is no alternative. Not until such time that a contingency is presented can there be an arguement for an abortion ban.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Victor said:

~Victor
I'm not sure what you mean by "abortion education". What would that entail? (I like the idea that no additional funding is required)

Quiddity

robtex said:
What I am saying is that unless a structure is presented to deal withthe 1.25 million unwanted births that there is no alternative. Not until such time that a contingency is presented can there be an arguement for an abortion ban.
That is rather obvious. The point of what I provided is to prevent illegal abortion and to get a sense of beauty of children, family, life, etc.. Hopefully getting them to get counceling and advise from the proper people.

I cannot see a realistic prevention of the 1.25 million. At least not immediately.

~Victor

*also interviews with the millions of women who have had abortions. The after affects and such...